PDA

View Full Version : Idle troubles

asdf450r
10-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Yesterday i was bored so i decided to check and see how much work its going to be to install my new cam. While i had it pulled apart, i decided to move the needle jet down one clip. then i threw the carb back together and started her up, well i noticed that it wouldnt start after about 30 kicks, so i turned the choke on. Still nothing. I gave her a LITTLE gas and she started up, and responded fine but every time you let off the throttle it would quit. I messed with the idle settings, put the needle clip back to its original position, richened it up a bit, still no luck. It runs perfectly fine, but every time i let off the gas it quits, so i pulled her apart and looked inside and noticed that the butterfly valve closes all the way whenever i have the throttle closed. So i messed with the throttle linkage, then finally got it so the butterfly valve is opened a little bit when you let off the gas. so now it idles, but the idle adjustment screw doesnt work, i looked on the other side and it seems that its turning. My guess is that this thing should idle regardless of how the throttle is adjusted...

What am i doing wrong? did i tweak the butterfly valve somehow so it closes all the way now?

please help guys, im going riding tomorrow for the first time in weeks and need to get this fixed asap

Hammer trx450r
10-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Dude what are u doing? Why did u move the needle to begin with? Ever hear the term if it aint broke dont fix it? The carb is very touchy on jetting, you just cant change stuff without knowing what ur doing. What linkage on the carb did u adjust?

Linkage?

Johnny B
10-02-2004, 09:57 AM
asdf450r, i would take the carb back apart and ajust it to stock settings until you get your cam and things. they jet it from the factory so it works right until you do motor work or get a pipe for a reason

asdf450r
10-02-2004, 10:23 AM
its running a yoshi pipe, and a uni filter without air box lid. Also running a dynojet kit, sorry about the linkage mix-up, i think im still talking with rc-car language heh. I meant the throttle cable, the reason why i leaned it out a bit is because it was running a little rich for when we were down at the pismo dunes and never leaned it out for when we got home about 10-20 degrees warmer here and slightly higher altitude). Regardless, the problem isnt with jetting because i turned it back to what it was at before (ran this setting for a few months) and it still didnt idle.

BOONE450R
10-02-2004, 12:18 PM
did you check the plug?