PDA

View Full Version : p.o.s

ridered-450r
10-01-2004, 10:21 PM
today i was going up the road and the rear end of my 450r locked up. so i got it back to my garage and tore my rear end down. well i took my housing out on my swingarm to find all of the bearings missing. it destroyed my housing and all the bushings and seals. i was wondering if ne 1 else had this problem and to warn other ppl.

also does ne know if they make a aftermarket housing? thanks

jeepnrocks
10-01-2004, 11:43 PM
well its not a pos.. its a quad stuff breaks. not quite as bad as a yamaha but still, stuff breaks. i would look at the top of my swingarm and make sure none of the little plugs are out. if ya lost one of them then waer sould get down inside of the swinger and lock stuff up

Jersey450R
10-02-2004, 05:50 AM
almost before every ride i check every bolt back there. the torque and vibration on the 450's are going to cause this stuff to come lose. what probably happened is, something came loose and finally jarred to one side locking up the rear end on you. thats a bummer but there are things you can check from this not happening again in the future........2 cents

Hammer trx450r
10-02-2004, 05:54 AM
I was going up the ROAD

Try going up a DIRT ROAD before u call it a POS

ridered-450r
10-02-2004, 10:30 AM
what is the difference if the road was dirt or not it still tore up

sparky450AR
10-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ridered-450r
what is the difference if the road was dirt or not it still tore up

These carriers do go out after about a year of riding. And when they do go out you'd better baby it back to the truck, or else it will tear up the housing.

The best carrier i have found is the RAD carriers with grease zerks......grease them AFTER you wash the quad every ride, and they will last forever.

ridered-450r
10-03-2004, 08:12 AM
thanx for the info.....does RAD have a website or phone #?

rowlrag
10-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Believe it or not, no matter who makes a carrier or the bearing they will all go bad. It has do do with maintenance to the extremedity of the failure:confused: Anyhow, i bought my R in Feb., replaced the bearings last month, using the stock carrier, (the stock bearings are much better quality than ANYTHING aftermarket.) The bearings were rough could made a few more races but not worth the DNF. I've never had a carrier bearing fail because they get replaced if there's ANY doubt. Washing your bike after a 2 hour race almost every weekend only lowers the life expectancy of ALL bearings. After washing spray EVERY part of the bike even calipers and rotors, they can be degresed later, with WD or something to reppell the water away!!! Water and rust is the enemy of a bearing, not power or torque.

sparky450AR
10-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Believe it or not, no matter who makes a carrier or the bearing they will all go bad. It has do do with maintenance to the extremedity of the failure:confused:

Yes, grease has a lot to do with bearings.:) If you've ever owned a RAD, or greasable carrier you'll know what im talking about. These tapered bearing carriers come with a liftetime warranty.

If you ride in the water one ride......or even powerwash your quad.....when you pump grease through the carrier, it pushed out all the nasty water and grime. You will actually see water and grime pushing out near the lock-nut. Whereas the junk stock bearings arent greasable, and they wear very fast. MAKE SURE YOU GREASE IT AFTER YOU WASH IT!.

If you buy one, buy the tapered bearings.
Here they are. Click on brearing carriers.
http://www.radmfg.com/radmfg.html

http://www.radmfg.com/images/housing_h12A_T.jpg

Martin Blair
10-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Just make it a habit of replacing the bearing every winter I did in my 400 and will with the r a pivot works kit is like 45 bucks from RM and its pretty easy to install never had a problem. I also check the rear end over when i lube the chain after i wash it when im done riding.

Honda5
10-05-2004, 05:35 AM
I had the bearings go on me too I was in a high speed corner(40 mph) and the back end locked up it distroyed the carrier and messed up my rpm axle. My quad is ridden hard but maintained well and I am only in the mud when they wet the track.
I wonder if this is going to be a problem for the450r?

10-05-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Honda5

I wonder if this is going to be a problem for the450r? :rolleyes: no