View Full Version : would you trust this on ur quad...

Tommy 17
10-01-2004, 04:34 PM
well after having the last stud fall apart on me i question the design of this stud also... its exactly the same as the last stud except the treads are internal instead of external...

if u look at the picture the bolt that holds the stud together is very small... it takes the full weight of the quad on it... i question if things goin to snap on me or come loose like the last one (same size just external)... i really don't trust it but i want ur opinions on it... i would sell these darn a-arms if i could but bein in college i just don't have the money to buy all new shocks and a-arms... i just don't want my quad fallin apart on me again bc of a design flaw... i almost got killed once over this...

heres the new stud picture...

Tommy 17
10-01-2004, 04:36 PM
heres a picture of the bolt...

remlapr
10-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Tommy - I would send those arms back to Arens and demand you money back and be done with it. I mean after almost killing you with his untested product, I don't think a refund would be asking to much :rolleyes:

Tommy 17
10-01-2004, 04:37 PM
heres the best picture i have of the old stud... i didn't go up and put these on yet bc i just got home from college 30 mins ago...

Tommy 17
10-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Tommy - I would send those arms back to Arens and demand you money back and be done with it. I mean after almost killing you with his untested product, I don't think a refund would be asking to much :rolleyes:

i wish it was this easy... but being i paid 500$ for the a-arms i will only get 500$ back if that... then my shocks are set up for 18.75 a-arms when everyoen else is 19.25:( so i'd have to get them rebuilt bc they won't handle right... then i just don't have the extra 200 - 500$ to get the better a-arms:( live and learn

Ex_Rider43
10-01-2004, 04:57 PM
damn I thought arens was good products???

you should compare it to another brand...if you know someone with another brand of a-arms.. thats what I would do but you right theres not that much threads on there..

modracer5
10-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Tommy, What you have there looks a lot like the same stud setup that i have with the Gibson front-end. The picture is a little fuzzy but You should be ok. I would recommend that you use red loctite on the bolt when you tighten it up. I did have one back out on me with no lock tight.

Dave400ex
10-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Tommy I rode on mine for 4-5 hours the other night with no problems. It was quite rough, and I checked them a few times and they hadn't moved. I put tons of red loctite on them as well. No problems so far...

Lethalhonda2
10-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey Tommy my first stud fell apart on me too. I was in a race when mine came off. Lucky for me I was only in first gear heading back to the pits when it happened. I hit a small bump and the front of the bike dove into the ground.At first I thought it was the spindle, especially after all the grinding we did.So after I got towed back to the pits I checked the bike over and found what had happened. I dug through the mud that was packed into the a-arm and actually found the nut! I looked at the other side and it too was ready to fall off.I have been using the new stud with no problems but I keep thinking if I had been going faster than I was I could have gotten seriously hurt.

Tommy 17
10-04-2004, 08:59 AM
ok all 4 quads i know of with these a-arms have came apart... u got lucky you were going slow... i wasn't... all 4 of us are lucky we aren't dead over it... think if ur would have came off 10 mins earlier... and it was over a 50ft double... i doubt u'd be typin right now...

i haven't had the time to put on my new stud due to college but when i go home in 2 weeks i'll put it on...

TBD
10-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Before you bash someones product are you sure you installed it correctly. Meaning did you use Loctite like some of the others that have responded to this post. If you didn't why would that be Arens problem.

Rico
10-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by TBD
Before you bash someones product are you sure you installed it correctly. Meaning did you use Loctite like some of the others that have responded to this post. If you didn't why would that be Arens problem.

I don't have a single drop of loctite anywere on my houser frontend and it's stayed together for 3 years of racing.....:huh

TBD
10-04-2004, 05:08 PM
I would then assume that they use some form of locking hardware. Possibly a nylock or a lock washer. In the picture of the stud it shows neither of these so the only other possible way to insure that it stays in place would be Loctite.

TBD
10-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Also Rico if you haven't had your frontend apart in three years you must not be into preventative maintanence. I'm sure your Houser arms are very good quality arms.

Rico
10-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by TBD
Also Rico if you haven't had your frontend apart in three years you must not be into preventative maintanence. I'm sure your Houser arms are very good quality arms.

I've had to replace bushing and a ball joint or 2, but it's also a different frontend compared to Arens LT so in all honesty it's not a fair comparison...:o

But I still think it's a crock of chit what everyone is going thru that has these arms.....:huh

Pappy
10-05-2004, 08:38 AM
i personally went over tommys a arms after he installed them. there was not a loose bolt , nut ...nada. after a few laps at the track they were re checked. a blown rear shock ended his day after maybe 8 laps. after a 2 week down time for his rear shock getting rebuilt he went back to riding and thats when the ball joint came apart. tommy is correct that this is lucky the only damage done was to the parts.

i am not a fan of any of the new style ball joints....manufacture doesnt even enter into my opinion. the old style may wear faster, may break if not replaced as part of what should be routine maintence but i still trust them more then i do the new style stuff on the market. the only exception being houser.

TBD
10-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Rico I agree. It's a very dangerous part to have fail. If the installation was 100% correct I would say don't run these arms until the manufacture corrects the design flaw. If the pins are correctly designed they can be very durable parts. I designed a similar pin for another a-arm manufacture. I made them to be used with cotter pins at each end to insure that the nuts would not come all the way off if they did come loose. They did not follow up with the cotter pins and also had some failures. One was a friend of mine that shattered his femur when it happened.

jlhughes750
10-05-2004, 09:39 AM
I may be able to consider myself well educated on this matter??

I use the Gibson LT arms on all my quads!! They use a similar setup. I too was a lil concerned with them coming loose. I have seen a few come off due to assembly error. Theres a few things I need to know.... when the bike is on the stand and the bolts holding the arm into the bearing are tight, does the steering get tight??? If when u crank them tight the steering gets tight then the top hat spacers are not machined correctly to match the bearing height. If this is the case a small shim can be added (.001-.009 shock valvingshims work good) until you are able to put the crankdown on those bolts with out the steering getting tight!!!!
What I did, instead of using the supplied allen bolt, I used studs, cut to length (depth). Then sunk them in the bolt holes with GREEN(press fit) loc-tite........let them dry over night........then I used nylock nuts on the studs, similiar to Roll arms. Now I have the security of locktited studs, and lock nuts with red loctite. Plus, if they come out or loose, they are not able to back out far enough to release the arm, it'll probably just hit the inside of the wheel!!!

Tommy 17
10-05-2004, 12:58 PM
i'll add this also... one of the 4 quads that i know of was personally put together by john himself... that bikes a-arms also failed the exact same as mine... the owner is on this site and she may reply... so its def not my fault... the a-arm comin apart isn't the only thing that has me pissed about the whole thing... its the customer service... the lieing etc is what has me pissed...

the new studs did have red lock tite on them but i haven't put them on yet... the old studs had lockin bolts that were supposed to hold but didn't... and yes i cranked them down as hard as possible and they still came loose...

turnandburn
10-05-2004, 09:02 PM
janseen long travels use the same design also,I dont like the design hard to really torque them domn properly.Friend that has the janseen a arms has had two of the bolts come out and sent him over the bars. Design could use some refining newer is not always better!

Dave400ex
10-05-2004, 09:12 PM
They really need to get something that will allow a cotter pin or something where you can know for sure it will stay together.

kirtob
10-05-2004, 11:55 PM
Tommy,
looks like the head of the bolt snapped off from down force. Was this a grade 8 bolt? My Gibson arms are the same design and they came with hex head grade 8's top and bottom. Heres a idea: how about using a hex head and drilling a small thru the side of the head and a small hole thru the side of the lip on the tube that the hiem goes in and wire tieing the bolt in forcing it in the tighting direction like a header bolt??

Tommy 17
10-06-2004, 06:57 PM
kirt it wasn't a bolt... it was a nut on a stud on the old design... the nut backed off...

what a surprise... my tie rod ain't here... god the post office is slow its only been 2 weeks:rolleyes: what a surprise more ****ty service...:o

boogiechile
10-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Tommy, I have been running king pins like that with a socket head bolt. With lock tight and proper torque they have not failed yet in MX use. How you doing in school? grades good?

Pappy
10-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by boogiechile
How you doing in school? grades good?

lol...college hasnt improved his love life so he damn well better be doing good at the skool werk:devil:

Tommy 17
10-07-2004, 07:53 AM
to be honest i'm failin out right now haha... my 1st math 140 test i got a 61%:eek2: only thing is with the curve thats something like a 87% haha...

i'm doin good at school... pullin a 3.2 gpa right now...

and yeah pappy my love life sucks... i only party with the girls from hooters EVERY night:devil:

Pappy
10-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

and yeah pappy my love life sucks... i only party with the girls from hooters EVERY night:devil:

when they start cooking you breakfest ill be impressed:devil:

Rico
10-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Eating at hooters doesn't qualify as love life ya jackleg.....:blah:

Pappy
10-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Eating at hooters doesn't qualify as love life ya jackleg.....:blah:

we need to show him how to party rico...feel like trashing penn state:o

Admin
10-07-2004, 09:10 AM
my shocks are set up for 18.75 a-arms when everyoen else is 19.25:( so i'd have to get them rebuilt bc they won't handle right... then i just don't have the extra 200 - 500$ to get the better a-arms:( live and learn

Hello Tommy,

I told you before that Burgard makes A-arms for 18.75" shocks that would fix you problem. Also, I would get you a very nice discount on them because of all your hassles with the Arens Arms.

Just let me know and I will get them built for you.

Check out these A-arms on my 450R :D

Pappy
10-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin

:eek: no need for my spy photo now:devil:

Tommy 17
10-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
Hello Tommy,

I told you before that Burgard makes A-arms for 18.75" shocks that would fix you problem. Also, I would get you a very nice discount on them because of all your hassles with the Arens Arms.

Just let me know and I will get them built for you.

i know and i'll be callin arens later today... if my tie rod isn't shipped i'm sendin it all back and i'll get them built...

and btw pappy she did cook me breakfest... and rico we do eat there every monday night but we found out the girls live 6 rooms away from my friend randy... they are down his apartment almost every night drinkin with us...

tamehart
10-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Tommy...bring all these guys into UP and we will show them PSU style...I got plenty of room at my place...

boogiechile
10-09-2004, 12:44 AM
to be honest i'm failin out right now haha... my 1st math 140 test i got a 61%:eek2: only thing is with the curve thats something like a 87% haha...

i'm doin good at school... pullin a 3.2 gpa right now...

Keep it up. It will get tougher though.

Lethalhonda2
10-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Well another failed attempt:mad: I drove 8hours this weekend to St. Clairsville to the GNCC. And guess what----- I sat on the side of the track after 1 1/2 laps. The stud fell apart just as the first one did.So beware to all those with the "new stud" because its junk too! Once again I was lucky to come away unhurt but now I have a to replace a rotor.Hey is the Buguard deal good to all those that bought the Aren's A-arms? I dont think I'm willing to risk getting hurt everytime I want to go for a ride anymore........

Dave400ex
10-10-2004, 10:24 AM
That's bad news. Did you put a bunch of loctite on them?

Tommy 17
10-10-2004, 10:30 AM
well i rode mine yesterday for 45 mins with a girl on the back in 1st and 2nd gear bc i still haven't got a tie rod... i'll go check my bolt... in fact i'm just callin arens to send these back... i tried to call friday but noone picked up...

Pappy
10-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Lethalhonda2
Hey is the Buguard deal good to all those that bought the Aren's A-arms? I dont think I'm willing to risk getting hurt everytime I want to go for a ride anymore........

its open to any exrider member...not just those with problems with arens current design.

tommy this does suck. i was really hoping you would get them straightened out and finally have this thing settled.

sounds like you better ride the girl and park the quad

Tommy 17
10-10-2004, 10:56 AM
haha pappy she has a quad:p

u know i thought it was all over 2 and it woulda been easier to keep the arens a-arms... guess i was wrong once again... i figured they'd work this time with NO problems... i thought once this tie rod came i'd be riding for months... guess i was wrong... o well back to michelles rubicon...

i still haven't seen that tie rod yet:rolleyes:

Lethalhonda2
10-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Did you put a bunch of loctite on them?
On Thursday thats all I did was work on the front end of that bike. I cleaned the Heim joint,stud,bolt and then used loctite on the bolt.I'm about ready to weld the damn bolt in there!I rode it hard for a couple of hours last week and afterwards I checked the bolt and it seemed to be ok (tight).So I was praying my problems were over.Guess not!