PDA

View Full Version : Sand blasting tips

chucked
10-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Im gonna have my frame powder coated this weekend, me and friend are working together doing both our frames, Im gonna do the blasting, hes gonna do the coating, I just went and got myself a small sand blaster (40 lbs), any tips on blasting?? The guy that sold it to my told me I could use play sand in it as long as i sifted all the junk out of it, is this true???

Alberta_Qaudin
10-01-2004, 09:54 AM
i'de use glass bead

fasterz
10-01-2004, 10:12 AM
how much you pay for it, i am looking to get one

chucked
10-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by fasterz
how much you pay for it, i am looking to get one

45 bucks, it is a 20lb not 40lb

wilkin250r
10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Play sand can be used, but it has it's dangers.

You can buy a good-quality sand at many places, and it's dirt cheap (get it). But it's silica sand, and it poses health risks. When silica sand is used for sandblasting, it produces a high amount of free silica, known to cause lung problems. OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) requires a full hood and outside air source pumped into the hood when working with silica sand. Although OSHA regulations don't apply to backyard projects, they give you and indication of the dangers involved.

You don't want to use glass bead, because you don't have an enclosed recirculating sand blaster. Glass bead is not approved for open air sandblasting.

Also, you are going to find that sand blasting with a little suction-feed 20lbs sand blaster will be REALLY slow. I know this, I have one. One frame will take several hours. You may want to get yourself a small orbital sander, either air-powered or electric, and clean as much of the frame as you can before sandblasting.

And I got $5 that says the first frame takes so much longer than you expected with your 20lbs sandblaster that you don't do the second frame, or else you just pay to get the second frame done by a professional.

jsc
10-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Plastic Media is what I would recommend.

chucked
10-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

You can buy a good-quality sand at many places, and it's dirt cheap (get it). But it's silica sand, and it poses health risks. When silica sand is used for sandblasting, it produces a high amount of free silica, known to cause lung problems. OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) requires a full hood and outside air source pumped into the hood when working with silica sand. Although OSHA regulations don't apply to backyard projects, they give you and indication of the dangers involved.

You don't want to use glass bead, because you don't have an enclosed recirculating sand blaster. Glass bead is not approved for open air sandblasting.

Also, you are going to find that sand blasting with a little suction-feed 20lbs sand blaster will be REALLY slow. I know this, I have one. One frame will take several hours. You may want to get yourself a small orbital sander, either air-powered or electric, and clean as much of the frame as you can before sandblasting.

And I got $5 that says the first frame takes so much longer than you expected with your 20lbs sandblaster that you don't do the second frame, or else you just pay to get the second frame done by a professional.

haha, ill let you know later, im about to go out and set it up.

chucked
10-01-2004, 07:55 PM
well first of all it took me 45 mins to get the thing to work right, then i think i got about 30 mins and 2 lbs of sand(?) I did about 1/8th of the subframe...

The worse thing when you use play sand is you have to sift it multiple times to keep it from clogging up the nozzle.

I think once i get it some practice, i will go a little faster,

I also under estimated the power of my air compressor, for a 1 hp that thing puts out alot of cfm, im going to up a size or two in the nozzles and figure out a technique, Flat surfaces will be a breeze, if you blast at an angle you will go alot faster.

Also it was dark and hard to see what i was doing. Ill continue tomorrow after work, if its not raining.

bulkdriverlp
10-01-2004, 08:58 PM
id say use silica sand, sifting is too much crap work like you said. you need to piggyback 2 compressors to keep up cause sandblasting takes a lot of air.

chucked
10-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
id say use silica sand, sifting is too much crap work like you said. you need to piggyback 2 compressors to keep up cause sandblasting takes a lot of air.

my compressor is keeping up fine, i can hold it wide open and i never go below 80 psi, i was almost sure i was gonna have to do this at work with their compressor.

i dont know where to find anything around here, i found aluminum oxide and glass bead at the place i bought the blaster from. this is also ALOT cheaper.

10-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

how come you know so much?:confused:

chucked
10-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by sEX
how come you know so much?:confused:

wilkin knows everything. you didnt know that????

300exQuadracer
10-02-2004, 12:00 PM
i used the black beauty on both my frames its a more abrasive sand than silica really sharp texture to it and its cheap enough juat buy enough bags to do it w/ out reusing it

chucked
10-02-2004, 06:02 PM
its done, i ended up gettin some paint stripper, took it right off, i used the blaster for the few pieces that the stripper didnt get off, its really clean now, lets hope i got low humidity tomorrow so i can paint it.

chucked
10-03-2004, 02:18 PM
can someone post a pic for me?

trick450r
10-03-2004, 04:29 PM
sure i can send it to me at trick450r@hotmail.com

chucked
10-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
sure i can send it to me at trick450r@hotmail.com

i sent it

dj89
10-03-2004, 09:40 PM
hi ant one know any thing about soda blasting. saw it on a tv show. they said it is safe for the enoment.

dj89
10-03-2004, 09:52 PM
never mind found one on goolge

http://www.oakhillassociates.com/ab/armex.html

sweet how need to find were to buy one