PDA

View Full Version : can you put E-85 gas in a unleaded car?

JUSTINcredible
09-29-2004, 08:55 PM
for 87 gas here it is about 1.90 a gallon but i noticed this one gas station has this E-85 for 1.60. Can you put that in a regular car or is it not good for it? just wanted to ask to make sure before i do somthing that could wreck my car... thanks

Quad18star
09-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Try it out and let me know ;) ...... They must sell it for some reason .... is it an Ethanol blend???

JUSTINcredible
09-29-2004, 09:55 PM
im guessing it has something to do with ethanol??

anybody know for sure before i get to tight with my money and just try it?

LazeR
09-29-2004, 10:29 PM
What is it ? 85 octane ? Does it have ethanol ? If it just has ethanol....depending on the year of your vehicle is should be perfectly fine....I think in some vehicles though the enthanol emissions can clog the catalytic converter or something...i can't remember what it does

LazeR
09-30-2004, 12:16 AM
I did a little research and not sure if this is all correct BUT from what i found out. E-85 is 85% Ethanol and 15% Gas. Equivalent to 107 octane. It depends on how new your car is on wether you can run it or not.... It should say on the inside of your fuel door. also you can check out this website http://www.e85fuel.com/ or just do a search on "e-85 gas" or "e-85 fuel" on yahoo or google

markk
09-30-2004, 02:41 PM
the 85 octain, is just going to burn a little hotter, and quicker,

You should be good to run that in your vehicle, as long as ur not running any sorta high comp pistions!
If u have a little bitty car, u might notice u get a mpg less or soo, but it wont be that dramatic of a change, Get back to us and report on how it does!!!

LazeR
09-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by markk
the 85 octain, is just going to burn a little hotter, and quicker,

You should be good to run that in your vehicle, as long as ur not running any sorta high comp pistions!

Its actually equivalent to 107octane from what i read

JUSTINcredible
09-30-2004, 03:38 PM
i drive a 95 cavalier.. i just might go and try it out... save me alot on gas.. right now my car gets about 360-370 miles on a tank, depends on how i drive it mostly

well after reading a little bit more on it you need to have a flexable fuel vehicle, and my car doesnt fall under any of the ones they have listed so it prolly wont be a good idea for me to put that in.

JUSTINcredible
09-30-2004, 03:42 PM
E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline. E85 is an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy. Besides its superior performance characteristics, ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline; it is a completely renewable, domestic, environmentally friendly fuel that enhances the nation's economy and energy independence.

Today, the U. S. imports more than half of its oil, and overall consumption continues to increase. By supporting ethanol production and use, U.S. drivers can help reverse that trend. 85% ethanol can reduce pollution. Government tests have shown that E85 vehicles reduce harmful hydrocarbon and benzene emissions when compared to vehicles running on gasoline. E85 can also reduce carbon dioxide (CO2), a harmful greenhouse gas and a major contributor to global warming.

Although CO2 is released during ethanol production and combustion, it is recaptured as a nutrient to the crops that are used in its production. Unlike fossil fuel combustion, which unlocks carbon that has been stored for millions of years, use of ethanol results in low increases to the carbon cycle.

Ethanol also degrades quickly in water and, therefore, poses much less risk to the environment than an oil or gasoline spill.

i copied this off of www.e85fuel.com

LazeR
09-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
i drive a 95 cavalier.. i just might go and try it out... save me alot on gas.. right now my car gets about 360-370 miles on a tank, depends on how i drive it mostly

I would look at your owners manual or research if you car can use it, before you just try it!

JUSTINcredible
09-30-2004, 03:51 PM
I just edited my post:)

LazeR
09-30-2004, 03:54 PM
I just edited my post:)

Phew i got worried for a second....Hate to have you come back.....Tried E-85 fuel, don't like it much...my car don't run now lol

bluebaron
09-30-2004, 09:06 PM
that would be *****in if it worked in my tahoe:)

markk
09-30-2004, 11:14 PM
E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline. E85 is an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy. Besides its superior performance characteristics, ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline; it is a completely renewable, domestic, environmentally friendly fuel that enhances the nation's economy and energy independence.

Today, the U. S. imports more than half of its oil, and overall consumption continues to increase. By supporting ethanol production and use, U.S. drivers can help reverse that trend. 85% ethanol can reduce pollution. Government tests have shown that E85 vehicles reduce harmful hydrocarbon and benzene emissions when compared to vehicles running on gasoline. E85 can also reduce carbon dioxide (CO2), a harmful greenhouse gas and a major contributor to global warming.

Although CO2 is released during ethanol production and combustion, it is recaptured as a nutrient to the crops that are used in its production. Unlike fossil fuel combustion, which unlocks carbon that has been stored for millions of years, use of ethanol results in low increases to the carbon cycle.

Ethanol also degrades quickly in water and, therefore, poses much less risk to the environment than an oil or gasoline spill.

i copied this off of www.e85fuel.com

Thats sounds prety good, But I thought that i heard somwhere in one of my auto classes, that Ethanol is kinda hard or rubber seals and such, is that true or not?

allmixedup047
09-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by markk
Thats sounds prety good, But I thought that i heard somwhere in one of my auto classes, that Ethanol is kinda hard or rubber seals and such, is that true or not?
i think the problem with that is it drys them out, kinda like alcohol. but im not sure. dont quote me on that, just an assumption.

mikeminyard
10-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Ethanol is alcohol. The kind you drink. Methanol is the kind of alcohol that is traditionally used in race vehicles. So wouldn't it be nice. Pull up to the gas station and fill your car then your 5th. My kinda fuel.

allmixedup047
10-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by mikeminyard
Ethanol is alcohol. The kind you drink. Methanol is the kind of alcohol that is traditionally used in race vehicles. So wouldn't it be nice. Pull up to the gas station and fill your car then your 5th. My kinda fuel.

hmmmmmmm.