PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Asap!!!

JDiablo
09-29-2004, 08:37 PM
ok well im putting back on my stock a-arms and i can't get that damn ball joint bolt wont stop turning when i try to put the nut on,i already tried pliers,etc what else is there to do,im thinking of setting everythign up,and lower it from the jack and it will put enough pressure on the ball joint so it won't turn when i try to get the nut on,any ideas?

zoe17
09-29-2004, 09:43 PM
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I just kept wiggling it to where I thought it was in a bind and was using an air racket to get the nut on. Finally I pushed the plastic boot down so I could geta pair of needle nose vise grips to hold it. Seems rough and crude but hey it worked for me.

good luck

LazeR
09-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Isn't there a nut or something on the other side to hold it ? Or maybe a allen head in the center of it like on a car ?

I have never looked or taken them apart so i don't actually know

JDiablo
09-30-2004, 07:38 AM
No there isn't nutting like that,the ball joints have a squared edged somewhat so you can put a wrench on there to hold it,but the ball joints don't,c'mon guys i need help casue im going riding this weekend and need to get them fixed,i had the same problem on my 300 but i used pliers to fix it until it worked,but i can't get it to work,anything would be narly

300exOH
09-30-2004, 07:43 AM
You could get it all put together and have someone sit on the quad to put pressure on the ball joint while you tighten it. You could even try removing the a arms at the frame and raise it up high enough to bind the ball joint while you tighten it up.

Pappy
09-30-2004, 07:43 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13490

JDiablo
09-30-2004, 07:44 AM
i need to get them back on,i need to get them tighten not off pappy

Pappy
09-30-2004, 07:50 AM
i usually do as youve stated, place a jackstand under the ball joint and tighten her up. try tapping the bottom of the ball joint upwards into the spindle....they are tapered so it may seat

09-30-2004, 08:21 AM
That is usually what I do. I take a rubber mallet and beat the ball joint into the spindel to make it bind up. Usually works great. also make sure the threads on the ball joint are clean so the nut can go on easy!!!!!!

bradley300
09-30-2004, 08:28 AM
before you hit it, make sure your balljoints are going in striaght, i can se where it would be much harder if the a-arms were up or down, making the balljoint have to go in crooked

frozenh2o
09-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Clean the ball joint taper and the seat with alcohol or brake cleaner (keep the cleaner off the rubber boot). If you get every trace of oil and dirt off they will lock up as soon as you assemble them.

JDiablo
09-30-2004, 01:17 PM
ok guys,narly tips,imma go try it now,thanks,ill let you know how it works out

boogiechile
09-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Just stack washers on the stud untill only a few threads of the nut start. Then tighten the nut. It will pull the stud into the taper and lock it. Stack more wasers if needed after it pulls in some. once it is locked, remove the washers and put the nut on. It will not turn then. The key is to use the part of the nut before it reaches the last thread that makes it a self locking nut. Then it tightens to the threads and turns the stud. The washers allow you to get it pulled in before the nut reaches the self locking point.