PDA

View Full Version : 16 tooth sprocket

04-11-2002, 12:57 PM
I am wanting to get more top speed out of my 400ex and I was wondering if it was a good idea to go to the 176 tooth front sprocket. I have a full dmc exhaust system and a k&n air filter. I have lots of torque. Should I be able to pull taller gears.

04-11-2002, 01:10 PM
That's gonna be tough to do,,yes you can and it will work,,I'd go with a smaller rear sprocket,,like a 36 tooth,,,which is basically between a 15 and 16 tooth front..

VegasEx'r
04-11-2002, 02:00 PM
The 16t will fit on w/ the stock case saver, but you have to hold the case saver in place while you put the sprocket on the shaft. It's kinda a pain in the a**, but can be done. FWIW I hae a 16t & while the top end is nice for long straightaways, it's not too good for trail, MX, or sand riding. & it takes a while to get to top speed.

ChadEXer
04-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Do yall really think a 176 tooth front sprocket will fit??? j\k

Tommy 17
04-11-2002, 05:41 PM
i run the 16t with my set up right now and it pulls it fine... my friend now runz one with his yoshi slip on pipe and 20 rear tires in the back and it seems to pull it fine but he never rides a track with it nor have i rode it so i can't tell u from personal experience just what he told me... i wouldn't do the 16t if i was u i would do what rico said....

chad i bet that thing would do 1000 mph but take u a year to get there and probably 3 hours to pull it out:D haha

ChadEXer
04-11-2002, 08:09 PM
I bet it would take 1000 clutches to get it goin:D

jay's 400ex
04-11-2002, 08:16 PM
yea i would pri say jus go wit a 36t rear. tahts what i'm plannin on doin soon. i run a 16t sumtimes when i got 20" tires and when i put my 22's on then i put the 15t back on which kinda balances it all out i guess but once i get the 36t rr then i'll pri jus keep the 15t fr on all the time! jus my 2 cents, later~!! peace

Jay:cool:

sabertooth
04-11-2002, 09:10 PM
I ride mainly in the trails of Michigan. The topography is generally rolling with whoops and turns and some small jumps. I have a 2002 400ex and have had it for about four months. I'll be honest, it is my first four-wheeler, but I am a life-long mxer. My friend and I went in on a buddy package deal, we each got 400ex's. We recently underwent our first mods. We both got a full Big Gun system and K&N stage 2 power -up Kit, basically jet kit and filter kit and a White Bros rev limiter. Additionally, he got Renthal bars, top and bottom and I got a twist throttle and a 16 tooth front and a 37 tooth rear srocket. So I went one step further, I am plus one in the front and minus one in the back. Well for laughs, we bought a radar gun. His will go 72mph now and mine will go 80mph. That's from 66mph stock. Further, I would like to add that this increase in the top end is in the top end of each gear and you can stay in the powerband longer. I am thinking of going down another tooth in the rear because I am so impressed. My friend cannot keep up at all, even on tight trails. My 400ex is still strong enough on the low-end, but it is Banshee like on the top now as well!

gojk
04-12-2002, 12:18 AM
What is a good price for a 36 tooth rear sprocket. I just don't see them around as much as the front sprockets.

sabertooth
04-12-2002, 06:57 AM
I paid $80 for the two sprockets, both Renthal. I think the rear was about $50 of that.

ChadEXer
04-12-2002, 07:18 AM
If you got some extra cash go ahead and get Sidewinder sprockets! they are awesome,,very strong and very light!!! They are the best. i cant believe you have luck with 16t\37t,,,thats way to high for a stock 400EX. i had a mean ***** 416 in mine before i sent it off and just the 16t up front seemed to high for me! if you ride on the rode and wanna go as fast as possible it might be good. but on the trails, drag racing, or anything else you are geared way too high. Top speed isnt everything to me,,,its how fast I get there!!
You better get you a new clutch basket beacuse with that much strain your probably gonna blow the stocker up!!
thats what my friend who has a 416. He had a 16t up front too, i been trying to tell him forever the reason mine was faster(drag racing) is because he was geared too high,,,well when he finally blew his stock basket up and spent over $500 fixin it he went back to the 15t and now that hes gottten used to it he says he will never go back!!!

04-12-2002, 10:37 AM
i have a 16th tooth sproket. no problem installing and my motor hop ups are k&n filter rejet outer wears with air box lid and no spark arrestor on stock muffler.
i have no problem taking off or accelerating 400s have plenty of low end. the sprocket at low rpm doesnt make a big enough difference to feel "taller" until it gets up in rpm.
still can do wheelies 4th-5th. it flys i have yet to see if raptors can keep up with me now. i guess ill find out.

Too Loud Too Bad

2000 400ex 16tooth front sprocket, k&n filter outerwears, rejet, no spark arrestor, 909 grips, shark jaws bumper, rebel seat cover.
WANT: dmc exhaust