PDA

View Full Version : prolem with my 300ex

BANSHEEadam
08-31-2001, 11:14 PM
havin a bit of a problem here.....
for a couple days, my bike hasnt been running right...even without running it hard. every little bit it would die. i could usually get it to come back to life if i pulled the clutch and let it sit, but once it was out, it was out. when i couldnt get it to start again, i choked it, took the choke back off, tried again. it started, then died a little later- same situation.
well the last time it keeled over, it wouldnt get back up for nothin. i cranked and cranked and couldnt get the slightest sign of life coming from it. my dad brought the truck down and we pulled it back to the shed. took off the spark plug, changed it, still nothin, couldnt even get a spark. that raised the possiblity of it being the coil, but we ruled that out after testing on the old 250.
i am very dumbfounded as to what it could be. i poured in some carb cleaner, full oil, full gas, new spark plug, coil isnt bad, yet im not getting a spark. i think that is the main clue as to whats wrong with it... no spark. but why?
i have a kill switch on it, although i dont think thats it, unless the wire is broke somewhere in the middle.
if any of you have some ideas or suggestions, id be glad to hear them. my email address is blink_4_eva@hotmail.com, or you can reply here.

09-01-2001, 02:00 PM
i never herd of such a problem.

09-02-2001, 09:31 PM
:macho check on the right side of the motor down by the rear brake lever ,you should see a small metal cover that is held by two bolts remove it ,there will be two wires that should be plugged into the side, check to see if these are clean and making contact:cool:

BANSHEEadam
09-02-2001, 11:46 PM
thanks for the help, but that wasnt the problem. had a hell of a time gettin the bolts out too!

4punksdad
09-03-2001, 07:09 AM
check the "on/off" button on the bars. It might have gone bad. The plug wire might be bad also. Check all of your wires.........you have an electrical ghost there.

are you sure spark is your problem? If the bike was running & cutting out unless you pulled the clutch.......maybe the neutral safety switch has gone bad.

BANSHEEadam
09-03-2001, 04:00 PM
I need somone to tell me what the two wires that Jay was talking about are. There is a black metal cover on the right side of the engine by the rear brake lever, that has two wires under it. The one on the right reads 12 volts, but the one on the left reads 0. We connected the two wires together and couldnt get the neutral light to come on. It came on when we plugged them back in. Any help would be much appreciated!

09-04-2001, 03:47 PM
:confused: Sorry my suggestion didn't help,I have had a problem with these wires myself one time.They are electrical connectors for the reverse and neutral switches.

BANSHEEadam
09-04-2001, 03:52 PM
i found out that it was the CDI box under the right fender... its gettin worked on now, and they're puttin a thumb throttle on it, too. if i am too used to the twist throttle im gonna have to chage it back!
thanks for your help though, even if it wasnt the problem. i would've never thought to try it.