PDA

View Full Version : java vm

cool 300ex
09-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Yeah what is this java vm? Some sites say to get rid of it because that is how you get your hoempage hijacked and it gives you spyware. I was just wondering about this.

khen
09-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Java Virtual Machine. All JAVA applications run inside a 'virtual machine' that interpetes the common JAVA compiled code and renders it for the specific platform(OS, hardware). This is the way that JAVA is platform independent.

There is a JAVA VM plugin that resides in most web browsers that is limited in what it can do in terms of saving stuff to your drive and by nature is pretty dang secure. I wouldn't worry about security issues with the JVM. I would be more concerned about IE ActiveX exploits. As far as your homepage I would be concerned about what webserver is being used, Microsofts IIS webserver is really vulnerable to attacks partly because it has some vulnerabilities and partly because hackers generally hate Microsoft so they like to hack their products.

I'm a JAVA developer and I'm currently developing for a bank and our website is JAVA based(back end). We get thousands of hackers trying to attack our site per month with no success.