PDA

View Full Version : How to keep up with the 450's

400EX29621
09-29-2004, 11:23 AM
I have been riding my 400EX for about 2 yrs now. Unfortunately most of my friends have upgraded to either TRX's or YFZ's. I am looking to step up the power on mine and have been reading about the big bore kits. The 440's seem to be the most popular but I have heard of overheating and mechanical problems in the bottom end due to the additional power. Are any of these rumors true? What in addition should I do while I have the top end apart (port/polish, new cam???). I am looking to get about 35 hp out of it and any suggestions are appreciated.

flyingbyfast400
09-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Ya Im getting all the parts around for my motor build that Im going to be doing at the end of this Oct.. I have the 440 big bore kit 11:1 piston, HRC cam ( one good thing about the HRC cam is theres no need for hardend rockers ) and also larger vavules Thats what I have sitting in my room right now parts wise.. Things Im going to be getting here befor the end of Oct will be a 39mm FCR carb, over size head studs, Sending my crank out to get stroked, port and polish, over sized oli cooler, 450R timeing chain, new clutch I just havnt made my mind up with which one I wanna go with. So Once i get my motor work Done Ill be looking at around a 460 cc 400ex motor.. But if your going to be doing a 440 and you wanna hang with the 450s for the most part.. Then youll wanna get a cam, carb do sum port, and polish work. Id run around 11.1 piston anything over that you will wanna put in a h\d rod. Cam wise Im told Tc cams are great... and thats the cam I was going to run intill I came across a great deal on my Hrc cam. For a carb I would look at sumthing like a FCR 39 mm carb... For the bottom end on the 400ex motors I know of alot of people that havnt thouched theres they just do the 440,426,416 kits and dont have any problems.. I dont plan on doing anything to my tranny inless sumtihng looks wore when it gets tore down, that or inless I change my mind... aslong as ur going a 440 kit you wanna make shure you have a aftermarket pipe, filter and all the lil odds and ends you will also wanna buy a rev box so you can get all the extra power outta her on the High side of the Rs..
Im shure theres sumthing I missed so someone can help me out...
Good Luck on the build..
Victor :devil:

EPDP99
09-29-2004, 12:20 PM
if your looking to keep up go 440, if your looking to smoke em go with a stroker. but either way get a cam and prot and polish it.

nhs333x2
09-29-2004, 01:20 PM
all out 465 stroker and drop the back sprocket down 2 teeth. With that setup you can and will beet them.

markk
09-29-2004, 01:38 PM
I feel your pain man, But from what i have gatherd, my 416 keeps up with them threw the woods, But u better gain alot of ground there, cuz if not that next feild section Your gona get blown away after bout 3rd gear!!!!! Just my 2cents!

flyingbyfast400
09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
thats why Im going to a 460-465... :macho its been costing me a nice lil bit of money but its still alot cheaper then buying a new 450... But race gas will kill me at like 8.oo a gallon.. o well gotta pay to play.. But I do alot of racing and open rides out at redbud and my 400ex motor hangs right up with the 450s mainly due to riders.. But if u put a good guy on a 450 kiss me good bye they spank me on the long shots and then sum.. One of my buddys has a TC built 460 and he will waste roostin_dales old c-dale all day long ( that c-dale now belongs to a4strokeguy) I like to say it eats yamahas, and ****s c-dales.. lol But A well built 440 should hang with a 450 not beat it but hang with it.. a 460 will spank 450s :)
Victor

JRDrider22
09-29-2004, 02:09 PM
also not to bust ur nuts or anything....ride harder. just when you think your fast enough..your not.. i have to learn that too sometimes..its not all about the motor its also abotu the rider.

btw...a 465 will spank a 450:blah:

kjettro
09-29-2004, 02:14 PM
save your money, and sell your utdated 400, with a engine construction from the 80`s, and buy a 450, some day the stroker kits for the 450`s are common, and your 460 or whatever get smoked anyway

The 400 engine is a heavy old chunk of metall, the 450 engine is a full breed race engine, once tuned right.....

One can`t create gold from a ole rock....

just my 2 $

R3Concepts
09-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Why? Why dump 3 or 4 grand into a 465 motor? Its still AIR COOLED. Like that doesnt say problems? Get real guys, by the time you spend that much money on a motor, you could have bought a liquid cooled 450, that revs a lot faster, and stays cooler. Besides by the time you dump your 4 grand into motor work your buddy just put a 14:1 Sparks piston, cam and pipe on his 450. Bye Bye 465ex. Another thing, look into the Cycle Trader and look at what 400exs are going for. I had one of mine for sale for 4 months. All aftermarket 426ex, not a stock part, and got 4 grand for it. Just my 2 cents but think about future problems.

flyingbyfast400
09-30-2004, 10:04 AM
All Right guys.. Heres My point of view.... I already have around 10 to 12 grand in my quad right now.. and its been paid for from the time I got it... I have all the work done to it but for motor work.. So why would I wanna trun around and sell my built 400 for about 3000 to 4300 bucks if that? I think that would be kinda dumb if you look at the money in it. I know what The price of 400exs and the new 450s are.. I dont see much of a point in selling a Built for 400 thats paid for.. and then buying a new stock 450 when I will have to come up with sum more cash to pay for just the quad alone.. then it will need shocks,a-arms,axle,handle bars ect ect you guys know how the list goes on for ever.. and then once i get the new 450 built how i want it... guess what sumthing bigger badder and faster is going to be here... and then everyone is going to say buy that one.. I'm not made of money, and I dont have probs with making a under dog spank or give them a good ol run for there money.. In fact I think its pretty cool when you can look at a good old 400 and see it in front of a 450. Ya i know what kind of things can go wrong with a stroked 460 but its what Im willing to put up with and yes it might be just air cooled but as long as it gets the job done Im happy. So the only good I would be getting out of buying a new 450 is power... thats the way i see it. So why not put a lil money into my motor and have sum power, and then Ill have everything I want out of my 400 :devil: and I dont see it even coming close to costing 4,000 grand to build a motor.. Im looking at about 1800 bucks or so... maybe I can have a 4000.00 motor if i plate it in gold... Im 17 and I dont have money to hand out to dealerships for a 450 and still have money to put into it.. sorry guys Im happy with my 400... and motors from the 80s rock... lol
Vic

kjettro
09-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Sure i see your point, and i can some how agree with ya, what you should do is, get a old xr 600 engine, and trow it into your 400 ex, do some mods on that thing and you will smoke the crap out of piped and modded 450`s

good luck

UglyMotha™
09-30-2004, 11:32 AM
have you tried a tow strap :o

brif
09-30-2004, 11:33 AM
He atleast owes it to himself to check out a new 450, especially if his 400 is mildly modded. Any mods done to a 400 is going to have just that much bigger impact on a 450.
I would suggest returning your quad to stock, selling your parts here or ebay and trading the stocker in. I see local dealers here selling 450r's for $5500. Look at resale, any thing you put into the ex (or the r for that matter) is going to be lost for the most part when you want to get rid of it.
So if you drop $1800 into your quad to keep up with a quad you could trade for for about $2500-$3000 just doesn't make any sense. In one year that $1800 invested in the ex will be mostly lost, and you would have a greater share of your investment from upgrading would still be retained. This would probly be better for the guy who has a mildly modded quad, but hey they all wear out. You'll pay them now or pay them later. Either way you're gonna pay. Good Luck..........Brian

flyingbyfast400
09-30-2004, 11:44 AM
lol... you guys are making me mad... I only posted on here to tell a guy on how to build his motor to keep up with 450s now u guys are telling me to sell my 400 just to get a 450... no thanks 400s in front of 450s is way to much fun... sorry boys..

flyingbyfast400
09-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Inless sumone with lost of money wants to be me a 450???

Kennethyfz450
09-30-2004, 02:30 PM
i dont know what y0u already have ..

but here are some of the setups that killed me in a drag race

465 stroker from sparks and everything sparks recomends with the motor. (he said ) and 4 inch extended on the swingarm..

416 with a 14 1 with web cams on alcohol killed me just as bad as the 465

home built 440, every time was close .. it all depended on who launch first he had a fcr carb bigger tititam vavles, stroked, web cam, port and polished

those 3 out of a bunch of regular 406, 416, 440, 465 i killed with my stock 450

so make sure you do it right dont cheat yourself out of performance! get the best of everything and you will kill your friends 450.. you will love your 400ex..

if you want to pm me I can give you a guy number that powdercoats anything you want him to and he also has a 400ex and he just put on a 426yz motor on it and he has the best of both worlds .. because he is used to the handling, and is very familiar with the fell of the bike and now it has a bunch more power.. and i think he built his bike for around 3000.00 dollars and he doesnt have one stock part on it..!! so pm me if you know his number