PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Polishing

balls2da-wall
09-28-2004, 06:55 PM
What parts can you polish on a 400ex engine wise...??? and whats the best way to do it!!!

Pvt. Maggot
09-28-2004, 08:24 PM
you could polish the whole motor if you wanted...its all aluminum..:p not trying to pull you into sending stuff to me..but your better off sending them to someone to do them..because if you try yourself and mess up then it will look like crap..lol..so pm me if you have any questions or message me on aim at Plagueoftheworm

09-29-2004, 02:03 PM
the polishing possibilities are close to endless on an EX..check out my site, just about everytihng on a 400ex that you can polish, i have a picture of.

http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/my400ex/polishing.html

exrider123
09-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
What parts can you polish on a 400ex engine wise...??? and whats the best way to do it!!!

You can polish anything aluminum to figure out if its aluminum just take a magnet and see if it sticks if it doesn’t it's aluminum if it does it isn't aluminum. If it isn’t aluminum do not polish it otherwise it will rust.

Also just polish everything yourself don’t worry about messing anything up as it doesn’t take a genius to figure it out just a little bit of patience, time, and elbow grease. Doing it yourself will also save you more money to put into engine and handling mods.

Here are the steps:

1.sand down until smooth, start with a lower, courser grit(i like to start around 220,320) then just work your way up until about 2000
2. once completely smooth i use the spiral sewn buffing wheel with tripoli compound. This step is partly finishing and removes all of the scratches and gives it a good shine
3. this is the finishing step with the loose sewn buffing wheel and white rouge compound..this give it the most shine and color
4. after you get done polishing there will be a black residue from the compound in some areas, fill a sink with warm sopay water and take a wash cloth and wipe all of the compounds off, this will not scratch the piece and it still leave a very good shine when done.