PDA

View Full Version : E-series not loud enough

TacomaNC4X4
09-28-2004, 05:54 PM
i just put the while bros. E-series slip on pipe on my 05 400ex. im running 4 disks in it. it doesn't seem that loud and as good as i thought it would. i dont wanna change the jetting cause i dont know how. if i got that end cap that you can open and close would that make it louder and sound better? i want it to be deep and loud.

exrider360
09-28-2004, 06:06 PM
take al the discs of or run it will all disk but no but no blocl plate

kicken250x
09-28-2004, 07:32 PM
your stupid if you want it louder...i dont understand what it is with people wanting their bikes louder..all it does is piss off the neighbors and give us an even worse name than we already have...dont get me wrong..i like the sound of a deep throaty 4 stroke just as much as the next guy. but you make it seem like if you make it louder your gonna get more horsepower...it just dont work like that dog...

to answer your question...you need to rejet befor you will be able to get more power. running 4 disks is just a waste of the 265 or whatever it is they cost now. 4 disks is just like stock only more annoying to the non riding folks. to rejet, take your carb out or loosen the clamps and rotate it to the side and take the float bowl off and the main jet will be right there take it out...buy about the next 3 sizes up from stock and start with the middle one( say you get a 134 136 and 138 start with the 136), a new spark plug and 8 disks. run the bike pretty hard for about 30-45 min and look at the plug. if its a light brown or a tan color your right where you want to be if its really dark go to the smaller jet if its light go the the larger one. someone on here may be able to tell you exactly what jet to use but i dont have a 400 so i dont know.

TacomaNC4X4
09-28-2004, 08:11 PM
where i ride theres noone else around for miles so that is not a problem. i know just cause its louder doesn't mean more power...but...it sounds good.

speedy400
09-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Dude, you should really learn to rejet, its as easy as cleaning your filter or changing oil, I hope you do those.... anywho, if you want it a little louder, add some disks, add like 10. I know a guy with that setup, works great. Bewear of WB's are known to fall apart. good luck, happy riding-darren

TacomaNC4X4
09-28-2004, 08:30 PM
is the main jet all i need to change? the main reason i bought the wb is because ive heard it sounded really good and deep. i got 4 disks in there now and it dont sound that good. so should i run say 12-14 disks and change the main jet? will it sound good and loud? i aint even had this thing a week yet so i wont wanna mess
anything up already.

bigbadktm
09-28-2004, 08:53 PM
my wb came on my bike, and i believe it has about 12 or 10 disks in it...very throaty. but...i will have to remove disks to meet the new 96db sound limit.

markk
09-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by TacomaNC4X4
where i ride theres noone else around for miles so that is not a problem. i know just cause its louder doesn't mean more power...but...it sounds good.

Big diffrence between loud and and sounding good!!!!!!, If u want somthing to sound good, i would recommend a HMF, Or LRD exhaust, even though i run white bros, they just dont sound GOOD!!!!!!! m mine is sorta ratty sounding!!!

Dannys400ex
09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
sell the wb and get a hmf but also buy the quiet core because im sure you wont be riding in the same place all the time, yes loud sounds good ,but not to the neighbors,they r thr reason riding areas get closed down. just my 2 cents

redhondi400
09-29-2004, 02:54 PM
The more disks you run the louder it is. Make sure you run it with the main plate in because that pipe is made to have back pressure. I run 12 discs its louder than 4, and more power. I run 4 discs when I am around people who want my bike quiet.

bluebaron
09-29-2004, 07:26 PM
i could give a **** about my neighbors, the one right across the road are always drive in my yard and on my track., another had already just pulled me over and start ***** at me, he said he was going to calll the cops, so i was like " go a head just remember any time you want any thing( hual murner on our feild or he has to buy our land to put a sewer system in thats legal)
i just flick him off and took,

muddy400EX
09-29-2004, 07:26 PM
first of all why are you running 4 discs if it came with 12. i ran mine with 12 and it sounded good and gave it some nice torque. the e-series is made to run with the discs and i think it sounds better with the disc in. when it is straight open with no disc and no spark arrester disc it sounds like chit. so try puttin the 12 that came with it and rejet it. also 4 disc is equal to the stock exhaust in sound and power.

TacomaNC4X4
09-29-2004, 08:07 PM
what i want is somthing that i can have loud when im out where i usely ride, but quiet when im just around the house. i tried 12 disks at first but when i hit the gas it wanted to cut off, so i tried 4 and it did fine. i just took the solid plate off and it was LOUD! but it blew out black smoke and it wanted to cut off when i reved it real fast. why is it blowing out black smoke? it even does it sometimes w/ 4 disks and its melting my taillight. im at the point where i just wanna put the stock pipe back on so it runs good again. i know if i get it jetted for 12 disks and its loud, then want it quiet i remove some disks, ill have to rejet again. i dont want that. i want something i can have it loud AND quiet w/o rejeting. what should i do. i think im gonna put the stocker back on tomarrow. if i did sell it and get the HMF slip-on, is it loud w/o the quiet core? can i have it loud, then put the quiet core in and have it closer to stock?

muddy400EX
09-29-2004, 09:40 PM
dude, just put 12 discs in and jet it for that and it will run great. your not gonna want to change the pipe settings all the time anyway. and if you sell that and get a hmf you wont be better off cuz you will still have to rejet or it will run like chit. just jet and run with 12 discs

SAND LUVR
09-30-2004, 01:18 PM
hey Tacoma, If you want it loud don't use a pipe at all.:D
just my 2 cents lol

LazeR
09-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by SAND LUVR
hey Tacoma, If you want it loud don't use a pipe at all.:D
just my 2 cents lol

Change the muffler bearing before you do that though :rolleyes:

SAND LUVR
09-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Dont forget to change the fluid in the lights or they will not work.:D

LazeR
09-30-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't need lights, i worry about my engine more....that's why i change my piston return spring every 10 hours

SAND LUVR
09-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Oh and after every ride dont forget to rotate the air in the tires. :D

LazeR
09-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Oh and after every ride dont forget to rotate the air in the tires. :D

I always keep a pump with me and do that every 2 hours...Don't want my tires to go lopsided :rolleyes:

SAND LUVR
09-30-2004, 03:59 PM
I hope tacoma takes our advice LazeR.

LazeR
09-30-2004, 04:10 PM

Hah, Me to, his quad will be running top notch!

BTW you have a pm

muddy400EX
09-30-2004, 06:48 PM
:huh

TacomaNC4X4
09-30-2004, 07:41 PM
tried that on my old CR250, it was LOUD! didn't run too well though. i tired the 12 disks and it sounds fine loud enough, deep enough, but still quiet enough. its about perfect. it runs good. should i still get it rejeted for more power?

TacomaNC4X4
09-30-2004, 07:43 PM

i also rotate my grips after everyride. you should do the same..it makes you faster

SAND LUVR
09-30-2004, 07:45 PM
LOL thats a good one. Did you know stickers add horse power?:D
BTW I have 12 disc on my wb. It sounds good like that. I strongly recomend you rejet to get it running its best. Good luck Oh yeah welcome to the site.

tc300ex56
09-30-2004, 08:51 PM
hey do u want sound or power ? b/c if u put all the disks in u get more power so if i was u i would make it more power not sound any y i got the tc pipe i dont really like it its way 2 loud it hurts my ears well it did but know i am use 2 it

thame2010
09-30-2004, 08:56 PM
I've ridden with only the headpipe.. that's something f***ing LOUD!
Can somebody tell me why do people say that's not good for the bike? (I know that it is bad, but I'm not sure why:confused: )

..hmm..Tacoma, you should have bought a HMF :o

Originally posted by LazeR
I don't need lights, i worry about my engine more....that's why i change my piston return spring every 10 hours
LOL!!!!!!! "piston return spring" wtf:confused: lol:devil:

LazeR
09-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by thame2010
Can somebody tell me why do people say that's not good for the bike? (I know that it is bad, but I'm not sure why:confused:

Because there is no back pressure and not having back pressure is bad for the motor

LOL!!!!!!! "piston return spring" wtf:confused: lol:devil:

It was somehting my friend said and it stuck with me, thought it was funny

hondarider2006
10-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
Because there is no back pressure and not having back pressure is bad for the motor

How would that be bad for the motor? I don't see how my TC shorty gives it any back presure, yet it is one of the bext MX pipes. Friend of mine ran his 400 straight piped for about a month, and it did no motor damage. When he sank it...yeah thats what did it. I think I need more reasons as of why it would hurt the motor...not saying I want to run an open header, but I just want to know why.

TRXRacer1
10-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
How would that be bad for the motor? I don't see how my TC shorty gives it any back presure, yet it is one of the bext MX pipes. Friend of mine ran his 400 straight piped for about a month, and it did no motor damage. When he sank it...yeah thats what did it. I think I need more reasons as of why it would hurt the motor...not saying I want to run an open header, but I just want to know why.

Less back pressure usualy means less low end torque. That's why your better top end power pipes are open like your TC. With proper jetting it's not bad for your motor.

hondarider2006
10-01-2004, 05:18 PM
So if someone was to build a motor, with a higher compression piston for low-end, and a higher revving cam and ran an open header, would it hurt anything? I have read that it can burn up valves, but how would happen? If anything I would think running it open would be the best flow, letting your motor breath the best, as long as it was filtered and jetted properly.

kicken250x
10-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006

youll burn valves like balls dog. when you burn a valve... you get blow by..when u get blow by you loose power...when you lose power you dont have as much fun...when you dont have as much fun thats never a good thing... back pressure helps get exhaust gasses out of the cylinder too.

running with no pipe on a 2 stroka...very very bad idea...pipes are TUNED for 2 strokes. without one everything in the motor change, temp, combustion, lubrication, etc etc...

loud AND quiet..that dont work dog...pick one and stick with it...

i wish people would understand that there is this thing called POWER! SOUND does NOT equial POWER. a well tuned motor does. if it sounded like a go cart and made 348927034 hp why the hell does it matter? i dont know about yall but i dont hear anything when i ride. just make it, as monkey boy would say, 2 fass fer u