PDA

View Full Version : Trans oil has pressure? Help!

416rider
09-28-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm sure this is not normal but when I go riding and I want to check my trans oil it has pressure because when I unscrew the cap it lets air out. What should i do?

roughrider01
09-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Your breather must be plugged. Its not the breather that goes to your airbox. Its the one behind the cylinder next to the crankcase vent hose. My tranny was building pressure and come to find out the vent hose was actually pinched off. Youll find it, just look around for it.

09-28-2004, 05:03 PM
what problems can this cause if not addressed properly and timely?

CdaleXtreme
09-29-2004, 08:24 AM
I would imagine it would find the path of least resistance probly a sprocket shaft seal or shift shaft seal would be the first to push out oil. Never saw it happen but It sound possible.

outacontrol31
09-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by roughrider01
Your breather must be plugged. Its not the breather that goes to your airbox. Its the one behind the cylinder next to the crankcase vent hose. My tranny was building pressure and come to find out the vent hose was actually pinched off. Youll find it, just look around for it.

whqat he said, just make sure it's not pinched or plugged, if thats not it then your screwed:blah: , j/k i dunno if it ain't that then i don't know what it could be

ThumPIN_450R
09-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by roughrider01

what is the hose that goes to the air box?

roughrider01
09-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
what is the hose that goes to the air box?

crankcase breather

I just went out and looked to see exactly where the trans vent hose is at. If you kneel down the on the left side of the bike and look behind the cylinder underneath the carb you will see two hoses coming out on the opposite side of the engine. The one that comes to a T is for the crankcase the one directly behind that is for the tranny, its about a foot long hose.

Take the hose completely off and then blow threw it to see if its plugged.

dixie1
10-09-2004, 09:51 AM
I also had excessive crankcase pressure after riding. Even after the quad sat overnight...I traced one of the breather hoses from the top of the case under the carb to a "T" fitting that is molded into the carb lid. One side of the "T" was never casted properly & the hole doesnt go all the way thru. You are just connecting your breather hose to a dead end that cant breathe. I am taking this to my dealer today;he wants to see it with his own eyes b4 I drill it out. I'll let you know later if he agrees with me on this. Since I am only 99% sure this is the trouble. I will post picture on imagestation of what I am talking about when I get back from the dealer.

BOONE450R
10-09-2004, 10:07 AM
thats the wat the t is made. when you install the hrc kit you will get a new tee that is a little more open. did you jet your 450r?

BOONE450R
10-09-2004, 10:22 AM
heres a pic i know its a little hard to seehttp://img18.exs.cx/img18/6788/Untitled-269.jpg

dixie1
10-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Just like BOONE450R shows in his picture. My breather hose was plugged into that outlet that the arrow is pointing to (bad)..it should have been going into the hole in that rubber cover where the other arrow is(good). It came from the shop that way,it has had pressure from day 1. :eek: I don't know if that is the same issue others are having. But it was the fix for mine. It must have got built on a Friday just before quitting time...lol