PDA

View Full Version : 1600 psi pressure washer is it worth it?

bcjet
09-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Looking at 1600 psi electric pres washer for cleaning the quads and bikes. Anybody have or try one of these things. If so is it worth a hundred bucks or should I save my money.

Thanks BC:rolleyes:

300exOH
09-28-2004, 11:37 AM
They work well for removing stickers and pushing dirt into seals. Seriously theres no replacement for elbow grease and a garden hose.

Flynbryan19
09-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Blah, blah, blah...... Pressure washers are fine as long as you use common sense. don't point it directly at seals, electrical components, etc.

And I actually believe his question was if the PSI was strong enough to make it worth the cash.:huh

Yes, they get the job done. It just will take you a little longer than say a 2300, but it will getter done faster than the hose and brush. Especially if you have multiple quads. ;)

300exOH
09-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Blah, blah, blah...... Pressure washers are fine as long as you use common sense. don't point it directly at seals, electrical components, etc.

And I actually believe his question was if the PSI was strong enough to make it worth the cash.:huh

Yes, they get the job done. It just will take you a little longer than say a 2300, but it will getter done faster than the hose and brush. Especially if you have multiple quads. ;)

Is the attitude really neccesary???:rolleyes: :blah:

sickmojave
09-28-2004, 12:01 PM
I have had 2 of the electric type and neither one lasted very long. my next one will be gas.;)

Flynbryan19
09-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Is the attitude really neccesary???:rolleyes: :blah:

Sorry, you were just the "straw that broke the camel's back" on how many people I've heard bad talk pressure washers like they're the plague....lol.

As I said theres absolutely nothing wrong with them as long as you use common sense, and maintnance/lube your machine on a regular basis like your susposed to.

Never take what I say to heart. I'm basically never mad when I make responses. It just seems that way on the net.....I guess I'm just not eliquent enough with words. lol:blah:

thame2010
09-28-2004, 03:51 PM
my electric washer is supposed to be of 1 bar... that's 14.000 psi!!!!:eek2: and it isn't so powerful.. wtf:confused:

300exOH
09-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Sorry, you were just the "straw that broke the camel's back" on how many people I've heard bad talk pressure washers like they're the plague....lol.

As I said theres absolutely nothing wrong with them as long as you use common sense, and maintnance/lube your machine on a regular basis like your susposed to.

Never take what I say to heart. I'm basically never mad when I make responses. It just seems that way on the net.....I guess I'm just not eliquent enough with words. lol:blah:

No problem. Apology accepted. I didn't mean to bite your head off.

I personally don't care much for pressure washers for quads. It just seems that by the time you get out the washer and set it up you could have just hand washed it. Plus it doesn't cost anything extra and there's no risk of damage to the quad. Also I know for a fact I can do a better job than any pressure washer since I used to detail cars for a living. But...to each his own.

chucked
09-28-2004, 04:08 PM
i believe 1 bar is about 14.5 (fourteen point five) psi?

spindles
09-28-2004, 06:08 PM
i sell them and hate them
waste of time effort and money

2000 psi min and gas

lotsa grease afterwords

thame2010
09-28-2004, 07:58 PM
haha looks like you're right, it's 1 bar = 14.504psi...

then.. mine is junk lol:D

nosliw
09-28-2004, 08:45 PM
make sure you use a wide fan spray and not like a water jet

bigbadktm
09-28-2004, 09:07 PM
yeah my KTM manual even has a section in it about not using PW to avoid pushing dirt into the machine. its best to use plastic bristles and soapy water. plus, it lets you inspect every part of the bike while you wash. <---thats the reason i hate hand washing my truck...lol

thame2010
09-29-2004, 11:22 AM
I was wrong again, mine is a 100 bar (1450psi) PW and it is enough to clean my bike, so I think a 1600psi would be great. By the way, I agree with "Flynbryan19", you gotta know how and where to use it, if not, it may cause you some probs.
I wash it from a reasonable distance and then check if there's any dirt left on it. The delicated parts are washed with a garden hose and after the job's done I apply some wd-40 on certain places.
Lets say that:
a PW takes less time to clean the quad but is less efficient compared to a garden hose and soap wich takes more time and is more efficient.

..time and efficiency are directly proportional :blah:

Flynbryan19
09-29-2004, 12:07 PM
thame2010 nailed it how I would. Pressure washers are used to take the bulk off. When its a real loamy track/trail and you got tacky dirt everywhere, or when you just got done with a nasty red clay mud race pressure washers are GREAT! You can spend hours doing it with just a water hose.

Use a PW to take the bulk off, then come back and detail w/ the scrub brush and water hose. This is what I do. ;)