PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about my YFZ

atvrulz
09-28-2004, 10:45 AM
I am trying to decide if i should sell my yfz now, and then just buy a new one next year. i raced 13 mx races and three hairscrambles on it this year. I am worried that if i keep it, then next year i might start having problems on it, from all the racing i did this year. Next year i want to race even more, and not have to deal with expensive repairs. I have had zero problems with it, other than battery. If i sold it now, i think i could still get good money for it. If i kept it, what should i do to my YFZ during the winter to make sure it performs awesome again next year?
What should i do?
Thanks

4TraxRider
09-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Keep it, just put a new piston in this winter and give a little love. New bearings and a fresh set of plastic will have it looking and performing like new.

shep
09-28-2004, 04:09 PM
:bandit: I sold my 04 and got an 05 after one full race season! i think if you keep a race bike more than a season your asking for trouble,just my 2 cents!!

redrider9045
10-04-2004, 07:44 AM
i got an idea sell your yfz and buy a 450r

airheadedduner
10-04-2004, 10:11 AM
THe 450R is not for everybody, it is preference. I rode one and hated it.

I would just freashen up your 04'. Tear it down to the frame and replace parts that are bad as you reasseble. As far as motor issues I would just do a piston and keep the parts on hand to do the water pump(oil seal, water seal, shaft, and bearing). Thoose are the only real motor issues that I have seen with them. Inspect your front motor mounts on the frame, and mounting points on the subframe. They are the common week points I have been seeing. THe 05' did not recive enough updates to be worth buying unless you flat hammered your 04'.

redrider9045
10-04-2004, 11:12 AM
so air head why did u hate the trx i have rode both also both on tracks and the yfz i say has plush suspenion thats the only thing i like about the yfz but in jumps man i felt wrong but when i got on a 450r and jumped it felt right at home so what was wrong with it

airheadedduner
10-04-2004, 10:15 PM
I actully think the yfz has harsh suspension

It would be easier and cheaper to outfit a yfz for racing. That and I am only 5,3 140lbs. At my size and the 450R's tall height it is a lot of work for me to ride. I admit, steering is presise, motor is fast, and suspension cushy, but I felt much more comfortable on the yfz. Its preference. I bet to you a lot of my complaints seem dumb but they are a big factor to me. That and I work at a yammy dealership so :p I am a die hard honda fan and I really wanted to like the 450R but it was not for me. It just don't fit me or my riding style.