PDA

View Full Version : Cost Of Big Bore Kit

Drtridr18
08-31-2001, 11:05 PM
Here it is simply put:

I live in Ohio, ride lots of trails, woods, anywhere i can except MX.

I ride with friends who have a 400ex, a raptor, a250x, atc350x, a few 4x4's and a banshee from time to time.

I want to take the money I'm gonna save by buying an already better kick *** quad (the 400ex) over a bigger bore, and have it worked on.

Where would be the best and cheapest place to send my motor, for a 440 big bore kit, high comp. 11:1 piston (just enough so i safely can run premium pump gas), an all-around or XR400 cam, and the hardfaced rockers that are needed? Reliablity is key, but so is power, I love riding my friends 400's, but i crave horsepower. (I have a 95 f150 off road 4x4 that would appear bone stock, but has a roller-cam, steel crank 393EFI stroker, and 4.10 auburn posi both ends....haha) I could have the machine work done at the engine shop where my truck was done, but i'd rather have it all done by people who KNOW 4 wheelers in and out.

Out the door cost, how much are we thinking??

THANKS A LOT

09-01-2001, 10:02 AM
You have a lot of options with your motor, First of why a 440? You can get a smaller bore that puts out the same power if not more, and still have more bores left in the sleeve. I would recommend a 416, 11:1 , GT Thunder cam, & play porting. That cost would put you right under $400.

Now the 440 route, GT Thunder has set-up a kit, The price would be about $550 with mild porting. The kit includes,

440, what ever compression you want
All the gaskets.
Sleeve install
GT Thunder cam
Play porting.

They dyno this kit @ 40HP

I have had nothing but good service and fast turn around from GT Thunder. Check out there website and look through the catalog.
www.geocities.com/~gtthunder1.html ( www.geocities.com/~gtthunder/gt1.html