PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions??

dirtmomma
09-28-2004, 09:31 AM
OK well I have a small problem w/ my front wheel!! They were BOTH stuck on but we did get one off & drilled the holes a little bigger but now the left front is STUCK ON THE STUDS!!!! I wasn't running washers under the nuts :( I don't know if this is what caused this to happen or not? The rims are aftermarket aluminum

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to how to get this off so we can drill it also :( plus of course it's my offset rims w/ the radial so I've been having to trail ride w/ them & I'm TOOOOOO wide plus they do crappy in the mudd!! We took a 2x4 & hammered on the back side of the rim as we spun it & it won't even budge any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!
thanks

nosliw
09-28-2004, 10:02 AM
sounds like something that happened to me with my sister's warrior a while back. the only thing that got it off was just good old elbow grease, no tricks. (for us anyway)

dirtmomma
09-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Well at least I'm not the only one it's happened too LOL ;) I think we may try to heat it up then go that way who know's but thanks for the response :)

lil400exman
09-28-2004, 10:54 AM
NO NO NO!!!! DO NOT HEAT A ALUMINUM RIM!!! this will mess with the trueness of the wheel and make it weaker. Just use lots of penetrating fluid (PB Blaster works best) and i got a air hammer and just beated away on it til it just "popped" off and was able to pull it. Use something to absorb the impact though so you dont damage he rim like a rubber mallet or a black of wood.;)

dirtmomma
09-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
NO NO NO!!!! DO NOT HEAT A ALUMINUM RIM!!! this will mess with the trueness of the wheel and make it weaker. Just use lots of penetrating fluid (PB Blaster works best) and i got a air hammer and just beated away on it til it just "popped" off and was able to pull it. Use something to absorb the impact though so you dont damage he rim like a rubber mallet or a black of wood.;)

:eek: :o never thought of that THANKS for the info ;) It's like it has welded itself right onto the studs :( I'll let ya know what we do to fix it anymore suggestions??????

Pungohboy
09-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Ok what works for me is put the lug nut on the stud threaded almost where the stud is sticking out and take a rubber mallet and tap the stud a few times. Do that on each stud. Mine did the same thing a few times i then would not drill the hole bigger but just clean up the lip it created. Hope this is helpful. I would not hit the rim and dont try to hit the stud hard enough to knock it out just tap it. Good luck.

nemesis
09-28-2004, 12:30 PM
the lug nut probably smashed the aluminum which made a smaller hole. By doing what pungohboy said it should work. If not then you are not going to be able to do it by hitting the rim.