PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slipping....Help!!!

Oouthere
09-28-2004, 08:33 AM
We have an '03 Z400 with a clutch problem. The first clutch started jerking so I went in and found broken plates. Replaced the plates and it started slipping in only a few rides. Next I replaced the springs (the new ones were about 1/2" longer) and the slipping stopped. Now, about six weeks and two races later, the clutch is slipping again. My daughter is the primary rider and she only weighs about 100lbs so it can't be over weighted. What is going on???

Can I add an additional pair of plates or do they sell bigger baskets.......something has got to change.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated,

Rich

P.S. The only drive train mods are 18" rear tires, big gun exhaust and jetting.

4TraxRider
09-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Are you sure you clutch cable is adjusted right? Min only goes througha clutch a year and I ride it hard and just about everyday. Something definately has to be wrong in there.

Oouthere
09-29-2004, 07:25 AM
The clutch cable has plenty of slack and it moves easily at the motor attaching arm. We are currently using Valvoline 20W50 in all the toys (i.e. '03 KX125, '04 TRX90, '04 WR450F) so I don't think oil is the problem either since the Z400 is the only one having difficulties.

This chump is stumped......

Rich

kc 300EX
09-29-2004, 04:41 PM
the 05's do have additional clutch plates.... Im not sure wether you could just add 2 more plates, but thats what we used to do on our Warriors and it worked great

UbeenSmoked
09-30-2004, 09:27 AM
put washers between ur spring and ur bolt but make sure the washer will fit in the holes in ur hub and that will make ur springs even tighter. we do that on all of our bike and really works

Oouthere
09-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I'll tear into it again and try to install another pair of plates first, if that doesn't work I'll try the washers.

Thanks,

Rich

Oouthere
10-02-2004, 03:31 PM
I opened the Z up today and found the clutch in like new condition. There was not enough room to add a full pair of plates so I added 1 extra fiber plate.

Problem solved!

Thanks again,

Rich