PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever go duning at Pismo beach?

rr4406pak
09-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Has anyone ever gone duning at Pismo Beach?
Is it worth the trip?

Thanks!:)

ohski
09-28-2004, 08:42 AM
I lived about 45 minutes north of there when I was in the Army (1996-1997, and 1999-2001). I would love to head back out and spend some time on the dunes. It's a great area and for me yea it would be worth the trip... But I have friends and family in the area too.

If you're driving all the way from NY you better hit Glamis too..!

Let me add I never rode a quad on the dunes... just my Rangers and Jeeps. I did see a guy on a bike launch off the top of competition hill and hit his rear tire on a Taco (Toyota) :eek2:

Wade

Seano
09-28-2004, 10:16 PM
where are you coming from? if coming from out of state, i would go to glamis instead

Alon
09-29-2004, 12:10 AM
if you are coming from new york you might as well hit both. if you can only go to one go to glamis. glamis has bigger dunes and more land. i have ridden both and would much rather be in glamis, but it gets to 120 plus in the summer. pismo is where people go to practice for glamis during the summer. if you do make the trip out here let me knwo and i'll go with you

Seano
09-29-2004, 04:25 AM
man, if your coming from new york do Glamis for sure!!!!!! if your driving theres like 4 or 5 places to go duning along the way. if you show from NY i'll meet you out in glamis also

rr4406pak
09-29-2004, 06:59 AM
Hey guys!

I am leaving for California tomorrow. 6:45am flight.

I am going to attend a wedding in Modesto, CA on Saturday October 2nd.

Glamis is too far to travel for me in a day.:(
frown Pismo Beach is only a 4 hour drive.:)
smile Glamis would be a 8.5 hour drive. The wife has given me permission to get away a day and go duning so I am going to take advantage of it and head to Pismo.:D

I should be able to go Monday or Tuesday (Oct 4th or 5th). I'd leave Modesto at 6:00am and hopefully get there by 10:00am.

Anyone interested in meeting me let me know ASAP. I'm from New York and have never been to the left coast so it's all going to be foriegn territory for me.:confused:

Hope I can find my way OK.

Alon
09-29-2004, 04:49 PM
doh, i cant go that soon

cooper505
09-29-2004, 07:00 PM
damn i would go but i got class. its a little under 3 hours from me so i go all the time. there are a lot of places to get air if your into that and since you'll be there during the week it should be really nice.

Seano
09-30-2004, 02:40 AM
theres a store right before you drive onto the beach. i cant recall the name of it. they usually haul trailer loads of quads to the beach on weekends but not sure during the week. theres also a little company that rents cheesy little sand rails so you could bring the wife too

ohski
09-30-2004, 05:43 AM
Hope I can find my way OK.

As long as you take the 101 down you wil run right into it... The town of Pismo that is. Take a little time and check it out too... maybe walk out on the boardwalk. The entrance to the dunes is just south of town, not hard to find at all. Depending on the tide there are two different places to drop in. The reason I say that is if the tide is up then Pismo Creek could be too deap to cross. If it's down then any 2WD truck can make it.

Since I don't know much about you I will offer a bit of advice, if you start to get stuck in the sand... AIR DOWN..!

Have a good one, Wade

dvsmnd
10-02-2004, 09:32 AM
i live about an hour from modesto, it takes us 5-6 hours pulling trailers, plus i dont think u can rent anything ur gonna wanna ride, the rentals they have on the beach are for kids and newbees, SLOW. sand mountain is closer and much bigger, no ocean though, that part sucks.

rr4406pak
10-02-2004, 10:26 AM
AIR DOWN?
Can anyone tell me what that means???

Alon
10-02-2004, 12:21 PM
"i live about an hour from modesto, it takes us 5-6 hours pulling trailers, plus i dont think u can rent anything ur gonna wanna ride, the rentals they have on the beach are for kids and newbees, SLOW. sand mountain is closer and much bigger, no ocean though, that part sucks."

actually you can rent up to a 400ex. there are a bunch of places on the beach, some i can think of are arnies, and steves atv rentals.

airing down means dropping the air pressure in your tires.

ohski
10-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by rr4406pak
AIR DOWN?

I was talking about if you take your truck/jeep/car out on the beach/dunes... if you start to get stuck the best thing to do is let some of the air out of your tires. In my Rangers and Jeeps I would take them down from 32lbs to 10lbs. If you're taking a larger truck out there like a Super Duty then you might want to go down to 20lbs.

It just gives you more floatation... for example a 31X10.50 tire normally ran at 32 lbs will have 3 times the contact patch if it's ran at 10lbs.

Alon
10-03-2004, 01:21 PM
i know, by saying dropping the pressure inthe tires i meant ALL tires that went in the sand. i drop the pressure in my ranger to 10 all around on 32x11.50's

QUADROOKIE
10-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by rr4406pak
AIR DOWN?
where is sand mountain???????

dvsmnd
10-05-2004, 07:04 PM
why did alon rewrite evrything i wrote? anyway, sand mountain is in Fallon Nevada, much closer to where i live. and i wouldn't "air down" your truck tires under 15.

Alon
10-05-2004, 08:24 PM
i didnt retype everything you said, i copied and pasted and put it in quotes, another way of quoting other than clicking the quote button. i was refering to what you typed so i figured i'd include it. is that ok?

and about airing down, i had mine at 10 all around and went around all the dunes with little to no problems. if you are just staying along the beach then 15 is fine.