PDA

View Full Version : Did some gusseting and painting today.......

beerock
04-10-2002, 10:00 PM
This is a compilation of gusseting and painting.

I gusseted the frame by the head stay by adding a piece of metal in the head clamp area.

I added two tubes by the front shock crossmember to add strength and stiffen the frame up a bit.

I welded over the stock lower motor mounts to strengthen them

I added two pieces of metal on the bottom portion of the subframe and two more pieces where the seat latch is for reinforcement.

beerock
04-10-2002, 10:02 PM

beerock
04-10-2002, 10:17 PM
After I welded and gusseted the whole frame, I grinded some of the welds down to look asthetically pleasing.

I then sanded the frame down and used denatured solvent(alchohol) on the frame to get all the particles and grease off of the frame.

I applied 3-4 coats of red paint (krylon)for durability.
(some people may think krylon is junk but I have had good results with it)
- with a steady hand you can make any brand paint look good-

I then applied 3-4 coats of clear coat for protection and looks :)

and wallah

please note the pics were taken with a web cam and dont show the true color

86atc250r
04-10-2002, 10:18 PM
Krylon :huh

In all seriousness - if you aren't prepared to deal with constructive criticism, don't post your stuff on the web

Are you going to delete tis one :devil

beerock
04-10-2002, 10:26 PM
here are the brakes I just finished today

JustRace
04-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Well for not being powdercoated I think it looks good. Gotta give credit where credits do.

Blackguywithouta400
04-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Not bad of a job, ive seen some stuff come out really nice with a spray can before even at the hands of myself, its not the most durable finish but it can with a little prep or in some cases a lot turn out very well, look on the bright side if he ever mars the frame or needs to touch up it will be easier then if it was powerdercoating. Anyways its on a 2 stroke, with all the smoke from the motor u wont be able to see it anyways. :D

Chef
04-10-2002, 11:26 PM
Was it powdercoated before that? Cause if it was, you cant tell that it was, it looks good!

Guy400
04-11-2002, 05:11 AM
How come this is the 3rd seperate thread about the same topic and you keep bumping it?

:huh
:huh

*Edit--I just went back and tried to look for the 2 older threads you had about this very same thing and they've come up missing? Why delete those 2 just to start this one? I'm guessing that someone replied back to one of those 2 threads and you didn't like their response.

beerock
04-11-2002, 08:59 AM
read the top guy, this is a compilation, Ive been meaning to delete the two and start one like this.

I deleted the other 2 to free up server space and because it would be stupid to have 3 separate threads.

One of the threads had a response that I did not care for, I had planned on doing this thread last night, so I played around with the thread and 86atc250r ;)

then I deleted it and made this one.

:devil

beerock
04-15-2002, 04:31 PM
BA bump! :devil

mrusk
04-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Why a rattle can when your Mr. Powdercoater? Just curious..

matt

86atc250r
04-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Oh boy Matt... Now you've done it. Hope you've got your flame proof suit on. I asked the same question last week and got blasted with 3 pm's, a host of flaming posts, and he finally nuked the thread and started this one.

Nausty
04-15-2002, 05:08 PM
yah he did the same thing when he was trying get people to have him powdercoat stuff. He would delete a thread everytime somone mentioned the costs of other places and stuff like that.

beerock
04-15-2002, 05:21 PM
I dont have to tell you why I am not powderocating anymore, but if you want to know, I powderoctaed nj300ex's 400 and it came out awesome, ask him yourself.....

Another thing, I dont plan on wasting money on my frame when I have a arens frame waiting for me....

even though im getting a arens frame I am still painting the frame because I saw this crazy color that I want.

nausty for your information, it is disrespectful to mention other prices in somone elses classified topic.

86atc250r
04-15-2002, 05:28 PM
If you don't want to "waste" money on your stock frame, why "waste" your time gusseting, welding, preping, and painting your stocker when you have an Arens waiting?

To me, my time spent preping, gusseting, etc my frame FAR outweighed the cost to even have someone else powdercoat it.

beerock
04-15-2002, 05:42 PM
well, Thats you, I will get all my time and energy back when I sell my stock frame which has a awesome gusseting job on it and a great paint job.

the gusseting of my frame was easy for me, maybe it was hard for you. besides I had fun doing it.

86atc250r
04-15-2002, 05:46 PM
Nope, not difficult - just did a lot more testing & and a lot more gussetting.

After spending the time to do it right, powdercoating was a minor expense & I wouldn't have even considered rattle can.

Nausty
04-15-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by beerock

nausty for your information, it is disrespectful to mention other prices in somone elses classified topic.

umm the whole point of this site is to gather information and give advice so if you post a price and i find one lower I don't see whats wrong with it. Not only that but your not a sponser either so you don't deserve the same ammount of respect as say the quadshop and you were basicly treating the classifieds like your own commercial site. Also you may see it as disrespectful but I don't think so and if anything your more disrepectful to me than I am to you.

beerock
04-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Nope, not difficult - just did a lot more testing & and a lot more gussetting.

After spending the time to do it right, powdercoating was a minor expense & I wouldn't have even considered rattle can.

did alot more tesing?

how do you know what I did?

too much gusseting is bad 86atc250r, I guess your saying I didnt do my frame right huh atc250r? :rolleyes:

whatever you say nausty.

Guy400
04-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Wasn't the powdercoating business your business? I can't remember exactly but I thought you said a while ago that you do powdercoating work yourself. If you own the business how much could it have really cost you to powdercoat the frame? Prep work would've been about the same and applying the powder would be very close to the same amount of time as spraying the paint on. The only difference being the time to bake the powder. If you already own the powder and the tools to apply it I don't see how it's a waste of your money. That would be like saying I've got my own chroming vat and all the necessary items but I chose to use spray-on chrome paint instead:huh

Why go through all this work if you've got an Arens chassis sitting on the floor and you're just selling your old frame?

04-16-2002, 10:59 PM
Guys..just give up. spending your time flaming hims a lost cause. it won't get you anything but happiness that you proved him wrong. gabe..are you willing to gusset another frame if you have the time and i have the money?

beerock
04-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by GuyLT250R
Wasn't the powdercoating business your business? I can't remember exactly but I thought you said a while ago that you do powdercoating work yourself. If you own the business how much could it have really cost you to powdercoat the frame? Prep work would've been about the same and applying the powder would be very close to the same amount of time as spraying the paint on. The only difference being the time to bake the powder. If you already own the powder and the tools to apply it I don't see how it's a waste of your money. That would be like saying I've got my own chroming vat and all the necessary items but I chose to use spray-on chrome paint instead:huh

Why go through all this work if you've got an Arens chassis sitting on the floor and you're just selling your old frame?

Guy like I said, I dont have to tell you what happened.

Yes I have the tools, I dont have a oven or a sandblaster anymore. I also dont have the arens frame yet, my friend is holding it for me.

Obviously you havent seen the painted frame with the gussets in person, it looks 10 times better, Like I said I hav a ****ty webcam.

Lrd flaming is what your good at, you never have any informational value in any of your posts, so why dont you go back to your all brands forum and make a new forum about how you hate me.:rolleyes:

for the millionth time, I painted my stock frame because it is alot easier to keep looking new(if I happen to hit a rock or hard object that peels the paint away) If I have a powderocated frame I will have to bake it and get all the pcoationg off of it, sand blast it and then re apply the powder coat and then rebake it.

OR I could just sand down the part of the frame that was scratched up and paint it and then sand that down, and you would never know there was a scratch.....

see any logic in why I painted it yet?

04-21-2002, 05:30 PM
yes, it's rue... am a good flamer

Tommy 17
04-21-2002, 06:24 PM
beerock ur frame did look really nicetoday... way better in person then in the pics....

CBW
04-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 400ex21
beerock ur frame did look really nicetoday... way better in person then in the pics....

and if you fubar it,,,,,,,touch up with paint is much easier than tearing the bike down,,,,,,,,,,but i still like P/C,,,but my circumstances are different than most i guess.....i am sure it looks good beerock.

tants
11-22-2002, 07:21 PM
bump.

beerock hopeufully your new "guessesting" will work even beter on my frame

see ya on sunday...

stocktires
11-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Dang bro, this is one seriously OLD thread, lol

beerock
11-22-2002, 08:40 PM
ya heh

Its alive!!

suzukidzrider
11-22-2002, 09:01 PM
damn flamers,,,haters
it looks ok,but i am not to found,hey but that my opinion right,no flame intended.