PDA

View Full Version : Oil around/near spark plug...help

Glamis400ex
09-27-2004, 07:48 PM
I guys,

I ran my 416 last weekend for the first time in a few months and after I got home I noticed some oil splatter near the spark plug hole...actually, the head bolt on the exhaust side is covered in oil.

I was able to wrangle a small mirror and flashlight to have a look and it does not appear to be coming from the spark plug hole. But, is there any way the head stud could be letting oil out? It can't right? There's no way for oil to come out that way. It seems to me the only place engine oil could escape is from the spark plug hole. It's running down the fins and making a mess. I have FDO head studs and the head gasket is perfect.

The only thing I can figure is that when I installed the FDO head studs I used anti-sieze. Maybe the motor melted it, it worked it's way out and that's what's making a mess???

Any help??

Glamis

mojoe2878
09-27-2004, 08:06 PM
more than likely a leaking rocker cover gasket or the oil line that goes into the top of it from the oil cooler, pull the gas tank off and look at it closer. if the gasket is leaking around the inside part of the bolt hole it will make it look like its comin from the bolt itself but its really not.

mojoe2878
09-27-2004, 08:09 PM
where is the oil comin from? the fins around the bottom of the head or on the top of the head?

Glamis400ex
09-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Motojoe,

It's coming from the nut right in front of the spark plug, dripping down in between where the pipes connect...down the fins.

How could the rocker cover be leaking but make it look like it's the coming from the nut in front of the plug...I don't understand?? The oil would be running down into the plug cavity. The plug cavity is very clean.

Glamis

mojoe2878
09-27-2004, 08:42 PM
it isnt comin from the rocker cover then ... i misunderstood what you where sayin, thought you were sayin it was comin from around one of the rocker cover bolts.if you put anti sieze on there and especialy if it was on the nut threads too the thats probably what it is...... is it black and kinda thick lookin... thicker than oil would be, is it sticky?

Glamis400ex
09-29-2004, 08:35 PM
I have taken the plastic and tank off and this is really got me stumped.:confused: The oil is so localized around the nut in front of the plug...it's weird.

I checked my torque and I am good to go. I'm still at 33 foot pounds. I'll pull the head off this weekend, and cylinder if needed. All I can do is re-torque and go for it.

Glamis

Big - D Racing
10-01-2004, 12:30 AM
What the he** are you doing to that bike Alin? You got oil coming out the bolts now? J/k that is weird never heard of anything like that. Are you sure you didn't accidently spill some oil down there a few months ago and never cleaned it? If not wipe it up, ride the bike, if the oil is back you have a problem.

Glamis400ex
10-01-2004, 06:33 AM
hehehe...what's up Danny. I haven't done anything to the bike since I built it. It's been siting for 6 months. I went out to Gordons last weekend to ride for a few hours before it got too hot. I got home and noticed a little oil around that area. Believe me...I'm bummed. It's a very weird spot to see oil covering that nut. I pulled the plug and it didn't look to be coming from there. The bike was clean from my last trip a few months ago...100%

All I can do is disassemble and look.

Glamis

drummer-on-a-EX
10-10-2004, 04:56 AM
Hey Glamis,
Have ya found the leak yet? Just curious as to what it could be.
Drummer

Glamis400ex
10-10-2004, 07:46 AM
I can't figure out where it could be coming from. I'm going to have a local place fix it next week.

I can get it apart and all that but if I have a serious problem, I surely don't have the tools to fix it....I'll let the pro's handle it. I'll keep everyone posted on what the deal is.

Glamis

drummer-on-a-EX
10-10-2004, 10:35 AM
I may have a similar problem, went out for a ride and noticed about a tablespoon's worth of oil on the front of the motor and like you got in there with a small flash light and a mirror, it appeared to be coming from the head stud between the exhaust headers, I washed it off and went out for another ride, keeping my eye on it and nothing, now I ride with that paranoid feeling, I've been waiting to see what you find before I do anything drastic.
Drummer

Glamis400ex
10-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Sounds like you got the same thing going on. I looked at my Clymer manual to see how oil could be getting to that area. It's nearly impossible for oil to get to that spot. A hole in the piston is about the only way. But you'd know if you had that happen.

Good luck keep me posted if you find a solution.

Glamis

drummer-on-a-EX
10-21-2004, 03:54 AM
It was the head gasket, it wasn't losing compression but it was leaking oil between the gasket itself, the shop that did the work is known for quality and he isn't sure why it leaked, doin' the dunes this weekend, we'll see how she does.
Drummer

Glamis400ex
10-21-2004, 06:34 AM
Hmmmm...I'm not sure we have the same thing going on. I have the flexsteel gasket from Cometic and I can look and see mine isn't coming from that area. It would be very obvious if it was.

Glamis

Spikers400
10-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Check your head cover bolts. The have a tendancy to break.

Glamis400ex
10-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Good idea...I'll check them.

Glamis