PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP: DOHC VTEC problem

exrider416
09-27-2004, 02:51 PM
3rd cylinder valve stuck, which blew the head gasket and melted 3rd cylinder spark plug. what else could this of messed up and how much is it going to cost.

MOFO
09-27-2004, 04:00 PM
if you destroyed the spark plug from heat, your gonna have some major damage to the head and cylinder...

I guess you wont know for sure till you pull the head....

Guy400
09-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Good chance you melted a hole in the piston or did some other catastrophic damage to it. Like Eric said, you won't really know until you pull the head. At the minimum you're looking at having the heads freshened up with all new valves, seats, etc. Then if you did do damage to the piston than you might as well rebuild the short block as well.

kicken250x
09-27-2004, 06:15 PM
get prepaired to have some fun. dont even bother with pulling the head. go ahead and take the motor out because you piston rings and most likely whole piston melted to your cyclinder. call around for some good machine shops because your gonna need one. your head is burnt all to helll. ur gonna need all new valves and id throw some springs in there while your at it. hell get the sleeves pressed out and get some of AEBS's, JE pistons 8.5 or 8:1 compression pistions, titanium valves and retainers with triple springs, crower cams and rods, ACT clutch, full MSD single ignition, edlebrock cam gears, the list goes on...haha naah but seriously though, what i said befor i got into my dream list is probably what your gonna need. ive only seen this happen on a few motors and everytime thats the minimum thats needed to be replaces. your lucky your whole motor didnt lock up bend a few rods or send one through the block...oh, and make sure you replace the timeing belt and water pump when you break it down. they are only good for around the 60,000...good luck man

BlazingYamahaYz
09-27-2004, 08:35 PM
like they said, you wont know till you pull the head....use this as an excuse to pull the engine and turbo/build it up....i saw a 2000 civic the other day, sounded EXACTLY like stock, looked stock(cept for rims), popped the hood and there sat a nice turbo setup....total sleeper:eek:

440exnacsracer
09-27-2004, 09:07 PM
NEED HELP: DOHC VTEC problem

hehehe yep, you need 4 more cylinders:D

quadrcr161
09-28-2004, 08:07 AM
quick guess, B16? if you did that much damage just pull the long block out, go to jdm****.com or hmotorsonline.com and just order a new motor. you wont need anything else and its a plug and play one day install. forget about what kicken said, youll spend a ton of money to be as fast as a stock mustang. just use it for what it was made for, an economy car. if you treat it right it will last for ever.

250rmike
09-28-2004, 09:23 AM
you will most likely need a new motor if it melted the spark plug. it prolly warped the block the head thats why your head gasket is leaking or broke. the piston and rings are prolly no good. what do you use the car for im guessing its a civic si.

kicken250x
09-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
quick guess, B16? if you did that much damage just pull the long block out, go to jdm****.com or hmotorsonline.com and just order a new motor. you wont need anything else and its a plug and play one day install. forget about what kicken said, youll spend a ton of money to be as fast as a stock mustang. just use it for what it was made for, an economy car. if you treat it right it will last for ever.

i was just BSin with my parts list there bro. you wont build a better motor than a ITR or CRT. i know people who have tried, me and one of my buddies have tried. you cant beat a type r motor

440exnacsracer
09-28-2004, 08:53 PM
you cant beat a type r motor

except with a V8:devil:

quadrcr161
09-29-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
except with a V8:devil:

haha yep, the hype R is over rated, its just a gsr with bumped compression and a little better flowing head, it what, 10-15 more hp then the gsr stock? you can build a whole lot better of a motor then a type r but then you run into price and realibity. if you build it to be daily driven and realiable then you just dropped too much money on a honda or any import. $3,000 for a early year hatch, $4,000 for a stock hype R motor, trans and everything else for the swap. already $7,000 and im low guessing the amount. thats not even paying for the install if you dont konw how to do it your self. go buy a stock GT, add exhaust and learn to drive and youll be quicker.

250rmike
09-29-2004, 09:18 AM
great another thread between v8's and imports in the making.

kicken250x
09-29-2004, 03:34 PM
im not getting into the whole V8 vs 4 banger thing...thats not gonna go anywhere... type r vs gsr tho... i do agree that they are over rated..but u still get what you pay for...IMO but opinions are like *** holes...everyones got one and everyones stinks so...

quadrcr161
09-29-2004, 03:43 PM
im not going to argue either, ive been aroudn all types, and even worked on several swaps, hell i have a crx but i know its useless to drop that much money into a car for it to be as slow as it is.

try those sites out i listed, you can get a good motor cheaper there then you can at a junk yard or trying to rebuild it. the motor will come to you clean enough to eat off of and will have a warranty. it should all be plug and play and no more then a weekends worth of work.

440exnacsracer
09-29-2004, 09:19 PM
na, im not arguing, i was j/k. i personally will never own anything but a v8, but i think some of the 4 bangers are pretty cool. nopi was here in atlanta just the other weekend, and it was probably the funnest weekend of my life:cool: now i have 2 bald rear tires and 1 bad memory of the back of a mitsu evo:( all i can say is when that turbo spooled up.,, my 5.4 seemed to spool down:huh :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: