PDA

View Full Version : should i beable to take a Z

gotahemi2004
09-27-2004, 12:23 PM
should i be able to take a z with a 168 main jet k7N power lid white brother filter and a full lrd system and a rev box?i also have a i uess we decided a 402 .... cuz when ever i race my buddys z its all stock and it takes me by quite a bit

LTZ400rider
09-27-2004, 02:50 PM
i have a stock z400 and i beat my friends 416 ex with edelbrock carb, k&n,aluminum air box, pro circuit pipe, cam, high comp piston, custom axis shocks, lsr a arms +4 and swing arm, and every other thing u can add to a quad. btw he is a better rider too and we switched quads to see if it was the rider.

cals400ex
09-27-2004, 03:52 PM
some of the z's i have seen are fast others are slow. i have seen some get beat by just a piped 400ex. others i have seen run with 416's. the ones that ran with the built 400ex's only run with them top speed. thru the gears, the z's didn't have too much of a chance, but then again it wasn't blown away.

i think your buddies 416 is got a problem if it is that slow.

2001-400ex'er
09-27-2004, 03:57 PM
I got a piped 400ex and the other stuff i got in my profile and i still cant keep up with a stock z400. I dont know but those things are damn fast for a 400.

speedy400
09-27-2004, 04:26 PM
I've got a 416 with open aluminum airbox, UNI filter, FCR39mm, port polish, hotcam stg2, powerbomb header and HMF slip on, I raced a Z with a full alba system, I beat it down pretty well twice. I agree with some z's seem to have quite a bit of a power diffrences out of the factory... the trick is ya gotta keep trading in Z's till you find a good one:rolleyes: .-darren

Toadz400
09-27-2004, 06:54 PM
My 400EX has a hard time beating a stock Z400, and I have a 14t front sprocket, 18" rear tires and a slip-on pipe. I stay with it in a drag, maybe a little bit ahead...depends on how my start is, but in the end it's over. I switched with him and I am a lot faster on a Z. It's sad, and I hear some Z's are BARELY faster than a 400ex..and some other ones waste them. Strange that it seems like Suzuki made every other Z fast.

09-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
i have a stock z400 and i beat my friends 416 ex with edelbrock carb, k&n,aluminum air box, pro circuit pipe, cam, high comp piston, custom axis shocks, lsr a arms +4 and swing arm, and every other thing u can add to a quad. btw he is a better rider too and we switched quads to see if it was the rider. then your friend has a VERY poorly built 416. i had a 416 national engine..shocks...pipe..the works, with 15t front and a 36t rear...18' rear tires...and i blew the doors off of stock YFZ's...let alone stock z400's.

if your racing a stock z400, as long as your bike is running good wiht the proper jetting and a clean air filter, you should atleast be able to keep up with him.

and by the way...HP doesnt = speed...you can only go as fast as your gearing lets you

04EXdude
09-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Its all hipe! When my 04 was stock I could beat them as much as they beat me. Holeshot won the race! Now, I have no problems with stock or piped Zs:huh

TM426
09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
I rode my friends stock Z and it was like ridn a sewing machine with wheels. Dont get me wrong, I would take a Z over over the older style ex any day. But stock power sucks on either one.

bigbadktm
09-28-2004, 09:01 PM
i rode a z a few years ago. had to go to the can, and it had a key so i could leave it outside whilst i did my bidness. but it seemed slow.

but then again, i am used to riding on 2 wheels. this will be the first season on a quad, and its by far, not stock. so i guess it is preference, or some weird phenom at suzuki HQ

nosliw
09-28-2004, 09:26 PM
alright, try this one on for size---

i have a 2004 400ex

performance mods are-

hmf slip on
152main jet
42 pilot jet
2 1/2 screws out on fuel screw
no airbox lid
k&n filter with k&n prefilter

my friend has a 2004 z400

performance mods are-

full yoshimura stainless steel exhaust system
airbox on
k&n filter
has done NOTHING else, no jetting, nothing

WHO WOULD WIN?

TM426
09-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Whos the better rider?

nosliw
09-28-2004, 09:33 PM
your talkin' to him.

but say i would have him ride his, then ride mine. or vice versa so the weight factor is the same

TM426
09-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Then I would say you, because there isnt much of a HP difference maybe 1.

nosliw
09-28-2004, 09:39 PM
ok thanks. i keep trying to tellhim about how he's gotta rejet the thing but he still thinks that someone just brainwashed me trying to sell somethhing. might as well have his stubbornness be to my advantage :D

EPDP99
09-28-2004, 10:29 PM
i was able to take 90 percent of z's on my 400, that does include piped z's with same kind of mods. all it had was pipe, jet, k&n, 14t and rev box and I could keep up with raptors up comp hill. lose by 2 quad lengths if that. I actually used to be my friends raptor until he dropped a front tooth gear.

panteramatt
09-29-2004, 08:41 AM
I can tell you this much. There is no stock bore 400ex out there that can beat my stock bore z (without a power adder), I qaurantee that. And Im not biased either, I own a 400ex and a 250r, Im just trying to be real here. I have beaten the new stock 450r and the yfz450 with a pipe. And I still have my stock carb on!

EPDP99
09-29-2004, 08:46 AM
doesnt sound like you have a stock bore either. or maybe stock bore with NOS. I am running stock carb also...

YLW400
09-29-2004, 08:47 AM
With a Z?? Was it a 6 year old girl riding the 450's? lol

I just find that kinda hard to believe....Alot of it is rider, dude...I holeshot 450's every time I race...I am not a good rider, I just know how to play the gate.....timing....

yoshz400rider
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
mines piped camed and has a box on it it runs with 450s dont get me wrong it doesnt beat them but it stays right there and the 400exs unless they have some work done i go right around them

04hmf400
09-30-2004, 08:04 AM
My ex when it was a stock bore with hmf slip-on,shaved flywheel and k&n filter .Would take most stock or piped z's in a 100 yard drag.It was all won at the starting line:D

panteramatt
09-30-2004, 10:09 AM
My z has a ported head, bumped up compression, both cams, dyna ignition, full pipe, airbox mods, and geared higher. The 450's are fast, dont get me wrong, but my carb and bore size is also holding back and its quick, no doubt.;)

brif
09-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
alright, try this one on for size---

i have a 2004 400ex

performance mods are-

hmf slip on
152main jet
42 pilot jet
2 1/2 screws out on fuel screw
no airbox lid
k&n filter with k&n prefilter

my friend has a 2004 z400

performance mods are-

full yoshimura stainless steel exhaust system
airbox on
k&n filter
has done NOTHING else, no jetting, nothing

WHO WOULD WIN?
Everthing else being equal, you should be out front til he clicks it into third gear. Hey I've owned both at the same time. I had a 01'ex with a 10:1 comp wiseco piston (406 cc),16T countershaft sprocket, Tc exhaust, K&N, white brothers allround cam and a dynojet kit and no lid(the z was stock at the time) and in this instance the z would barely win. When I sold the ex, installed a full yoshi, K&N , no lid, both hotcams.Ex's were easy prey, I always got taken out of the hole but at about 3rd gear it would pull by and it would be over. Not saying I could beat every ex in the world, just saying mod for mod the z is faster.
Most people are biased to the brand of quad that they curently ride and no-one likes to admit that someone can be faster especially after you invested a large sum of money to be quicker and still not get it done.
I'm back on honda now, if some one makes a better product next year I'll get it. Good luck and have fun.........:D

Kennethyfz450
09-30-2004, 02:07 PM
I think some people need to learn how to lanch their 400ex's right. I had no problem beating/keeping up with a z 400..

like someone said earlier it's all about the whole shot!! and only the whole shot..

so go out back and start practicing taking off not to hard and not to easy and just get it right you will woop who ever you are racing, and if you dont woop who ever you are racing because they are riding a heavily modified quad you will atleast get the holeshot!!

i rarly ever get beat out of the hole when i was racing my 400ex but everytime i race my yfz seems like i always have to play catch up and hope i beat them at the end of the line.. ( so whaat i am trying to say it's all rider and what you are used to and who got traction the best!)

the 400ex is a good bike and dont give me that outdated junk or the best for reliablity becasue it's not outdated, nor more reliable than other quads just more tolerant to abuse.

the z 400 has been over rated ever since it first came out, for instance it said it handled better than the 400ex

lets think about this for a minute....
the 400 has a lower seat height,

and the z has a higher seat hight with the same freakin frame from the 400ex!!

their both weak.. but so is the honda 450r and the yfz450 the thrill only last about a week then you want to upgrade..

09-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
their both weak.. but so is the honda 450r and the yfz450 the thrill only last about a week then you want to upgrade.. i rode my yfz stock for almsot a year....and i was perfectly happy with the power....so speak for yourself in that one

H_W
09-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by panteramatt
I can tell you this much. There is no stock bore 400ex out there that can beat my stock bore z (without a power adder), I qaurantee that. And Im not biased either, I own a 400ex and a 250r, Im just trying to be real here. I have beaten the new stock 450r and the yfz450 with a pipe. And I still have my stock carb on!

I find this hard to believe. I have beaten every z400 (piped or not) that I have ever raced with my 400. I have raced stock 450r's and yfz's, also. I can't beat them, but I can stay within 2 to 3 quad lengths. And I am a big guy, 220 lbs.

panteramatt
09-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Well h_w, Im not trying to make enemies, and Im definitely not biased cause I own a 400ex and a 250r, but my z will definitely spank darn near any 440ex full of mods that ive raced against and Im 6'3, 240#'s! I will admit that my 400ex handles better than my z and my r will easily outhandle them both. Oh and the 450r really did not impress me at all. I dont know what hoda has been doing but they really need to get on the ball!

LazeR
09-30-2004, 10:55 PM
When my quad was totally stock....I beat a piped Z 2 out of 3 races! I actually beat several Z's. I have been beat by several Z's but i have never lost to a stock Z, and that was when my 400ex was totally stock.... I still haven't lost to a stock Z. It might be rider, it might be luck..but its the truth.....and this is in the sand dunes...

nosliw
09-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by brif
Everthing else being equal, you should be out front til he clicks it into third gear. Hey I've owned both at the same time. I had a 01'ex with a 10:1 comp wiseco piston (406 cc),16T countershaft sprocket, Tc exhaust, K&N, white brothers allround cam and a dynojet kit and no lid(the z was stock at the time) and in this instance the z would barely win. When I sold the ex, installed a full yoshi, K&N , no lid, both hotcams.Ex's were easy prey, I always got taken out of the hole but at about 3rd gear it would pull by and it would be over. Not saying I could beat every ex in the world, just saying mod for mod the z is faster.
Most people are biased to the brand of quad that they curently ride and no-one likes to admit that someone can be faster especially after you invested a large sum of money to be quicker and still not get it done.
I'm back on honda now, if some one makes a better product next year I'll get it. Good luck and have fun.........:D

cool.

i'm not brand loyal by any means. if fact i plan on buying an '04 limited edition z400. just wondering. im actually kind of surprised people didnt jump right in and say that his motor is going to fry very soon. he noticed some gain but not a lot. just noise. so im assuming he can get away with not rejetting and just have noise?

LazeR
09-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Also going with what Kennethyfz450 said. Just about everytime i win, i do get the hole shot, which is a huge deal especially in a drag race!!!

Kennethyfz450
10-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Hey if you think the yfz has enough power .. you dont ride it very often.. i got bored of mine really quick.. i hope on it now and dont really feel the pwoer anymore it seems tame.. its hard to explain it .. i am ready for a fully built motor..

H_W
10-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Well h_w, Im not trying to make enemies, and Im definitely not biased cause I own a 400ex and a 250r, but my z will definitely spank darn near any 440ex full of mods that ive raced against and Im 6'3, 240#'s! I will admit that my 400ex handles better than my z and my r will easily outhandle them both. Oh and the 450r really did not impress me at all. I dont know what hoda has been doing but they really need to get on the ball!

What all is done to your z400? If it is bone stock and outrunning fully modded 440ex's, then either it is the fastest z400 on the planet, or those 440ex's were the slowest 440's on the planet. I am not trying to make enemies, either. I am sure you did beat some 440ex's, it is just hard to believe. Oh and the 450r did not impress me much either. Honda really dropped the ball with that one.

nemesis
10-01-2004, 04:22 PM
stock for stock the Z will win but the Z is not faster than a 440 ex. It is probably driver. When my Z was stock I would beat a raptor with full alba exhaust, filter, and jet. The guy couldn't launch it, that is why.

10-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey if you think the yfz has enough power .. you dont ride it very often.. i got bored of mine really quick.. i hope on it now and dont really feel the pwoer anymore it seems tame.. its hard to explain it .. i am ready for a fully built motor.. i race everyweekend. i now have a pipe..thats it for motor mods. im perfectly satisfied with it. if you think you need more power....you jsut dont ride it hard enough to realize that you cant ride a stock motor to its full potential...becuase the suspension just cant handle the bike moving that fast.

Toadz400
10-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by H_W
Oh and the 450r did not impress me much either. Honda really dropped the ball with that one.

I'm with you on that one...everyone thinks the 450R is the greatest thing ever made it seems. I think Yamaha did a better job on the 450, Honda had a chance to see what the competetion was like and somehow they didn't seem to improve on it.

panteramatt
10-02-2004, 11:06 AM
no H_W, my z isnt stock. Like I said it has a ported head, both cams, higher compression, full pipe, dyna ignition,and airbox mods. But it still has the stock bore and carb which is junk! I beat a raptor thats supposed to have 58hp in a 100ft drag. Raptors have to be the worst quad Ive ever ridden, Id prefer my 250x!

H_W
10-02-2004, 03:31 PM
no H_W, my z isnt stock. Like I said it has a ported head, both cams, higher compression, full pipe, dyna ignition,and airbox mods. But it still has the stock bore and carb which is junk! I beat a raptor thats supposed to have 58hp in a 100ft drag. Raptors have to be the worst quad Ive ever ridden, Id prefer my 250x!

Ok, with those mods, a z400 would be pretty fast. I have about the same mods on my 400, but not the stock carb. I can outrun stock raptors and banshees. I agree with you about the raptor, my cousin has one and I don't like it. We race all the time, and most of the time I win. He has a curtis sparks x-6 full exhaust, degree key, and uni air filter. We are close, but I usually win. When we switch bikes, mine just feels faster. My cousin says the same thing.

ReconRider25
10-02-2004, 08:04 PM
i dont know what you guys are talking about the z's and kfx's are not that fast and the 400ex is not that slow. i have hmf slip on, k&n, no lid and rejet and 14/39 gearing that i ran at the grass drags last week and i blew past the z's and kfx's heck i even beat banshees and was dead even with a piped raptor. even when my 400 was stock i could still beat kfx's. and this isnt any bs either i got pics from the grass drags of me ahead of a built banshee that mustve had 10 grand into it.(note that guy did eventually pass me but only beat me by like 10 feet)

DamageInc
10-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Hey if you think the yfz has enough power .. you dont ride it very often.. i got bored of mine really quick.. i hope on it now and dont really feel the pwoer anymore it seems tame.. its hard to explain it .. i am ready for a fully built motor..

That's just the way speed works. You always get used to it, no matter how fast it is (well, I've never driven a top-fuel car, so maybe there is a limit). When I was 14, I thought my 200x seemed fast. When I got my first snowmobile (old 500 el tigre) I thought it seemed fast. But my current sled does 0-60 in about 3.5 seconds, and it doesn't seem fast anymore.

Kennethyfz450
10-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
i race everyweekend. i now have a pipe..thats it for motor mods. im perfectly satisfied with it. if you think you need more power....you jsut dont ride it hard enough to realize that you cant ride a stock motor to its full potential...becuase the suspension just cant handle the bike moving that fast.

umm with all my mods i dont have any problem with handling???
i am always riding hard.. climbing hills is almost one of the roughest things you can do....

and i am starting to get brave with jumping and when it becomes natural for me like hill climbing dont think i wont go to every race i can possible make it to... and dont think i wont give it 100% full throttle..
:D

i just want to practice a little more before i get on a track with a bunch of people.. i dont want to hurt anyone , and i dont want to hurt myself. i dont want to hurt my quad especially:D

rngprerunner
10-05-2004, 02:43 PM
What is the facination with beating Z's? If you were so worried about being able to beat one, why didnt you guys just buy one? The Z's are beating all of yall mentaly by bugging you with this. Just get over it! Who cares who wins as long as everybody is ridding!

exrider360
10-05-2004, 03:11 PM
my frined beat a piped and jetted z400 in a drag

Toadz400
10-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by exrider360
my frined beat a piped and jetted z400 in a drag

That says a lot?:confused:

I agree with rngprerunner...who cares about trying to beat a Z400. Of course there are going to be machines out there faster than others, especially when you do modifications....I just don't see the sense in arguing about this all. Lets just all ride and have fun:macho .

Out_Sider
10-06-2004, 04:54 PM
idk about ya'll, but i've seen a bone stock z400 wax the *** off a 416ex in a drag race. and the 416 had new 20in razrs on it, and the z had almost bald stock tires, and the z400 just walked it

Toadz400
10-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
idk about ya'll, but i've seen a bone stock z400 wax the *** off a 416ex in a drag race. and the 416 had new 20in razrs on it, and the z had almost bald stock tires, and the z400 just walked it

Sounds like rider error on the 416's part, unless his 416 is running on 10 or 15 lbs of compression.