PDA

View Full Version : Is this a jetting issue?

Woodsrider
09-27-2004, 11:25 AM
My 400 runs fine in 1st thru 3rd all the way up to the rev limiter. But in fourth and fifth anythin over about half throttle for more than a couple hundered yards, it falls off and wants to die. Feels like its running out of gas. Its got a white brothers Eseries full system, and uni filter. 42 pilot and 155mj with the needle in the stock position. Im at a loss because it just started doing this. The mods have been on the bike for over a year.

Woodsrider
09-27-2004, 05:14 PM
TTT
Somebodys got to be able to help

sam the brave
09-27-2004, 05:56 PM
check the main jet it could of fallen out mine did

serpent
09-27-2004, 07:14 PM
i have a yoshimura full exhaust sys. what main jet you recomends

Woodsrider
09-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by sam the brave
check the main jet it could of fallen out mine did

That was the first thing that I checked, and its in there:( Thanks though.

cals400ex
09-27-2004, 10:08 PM
i would try to clean the carb out. also, check and/or change it with a new one.

Woodsrider
09-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I got some time to take the carb off and check and clean everything, So after that I got it all put together and ran it again with no luck, I figured that much because I couldnt find anything wrong. Im hoping to do some more troubleshooting this weekend, but I'm starting to think this has nothing to do with the carb at all, and is more to do with with spark, Im wondering if the ignition control module is bad:confused:

nosliw
09-29-2004, 08:41 PM
thats weird, i dont think it would be a carb problem if it's running fine through all throttle positions in 1st-3rd gear.

yea probably something electrical your right

Woodsrider
09-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
thats weird, i dont think it would be a carb problem if it's running fine through all throttle positions in 1st-3rd gear.

yea probably something electrical your right

That and the fact that nothing has changed on the bike between the time it ran good and it started acting up.
Your location says WA, were you at?

nosliw
09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
auburn, and every weekend im at a cabin we have in shelton

you close?

quadrider400
09-30-2004, 02:18 AM
Just a thought but be sure your Air filter is clean and replace the plug.... they can go bad right out of the box....

Woodsrider
09-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
auburn, and every weekend im at a cabin we have in shelton

you close?

Enumclaw

bradrenea
09-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Does the petcock on 400's have the screen filter in it like alot of other quads? If it does it might be getting clogged and causing it to run out of fuel at WOT. That could explain the running good first through third and then crapping out. That may just be when the demand exceeds the supply, causing the bowl to run dry. Might be something to check.:confused:

Woodsrider
09-30-2004, 06:22 PM
I did that too, drained the whole tank and cleaned the petcock screen. Ive ran it with the fuel on and with in the reserve spot and get the same symptoms:(

dirtmomma
09-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Musta been that nasty wipe out DOHHHHHH :eek: aw just messin w/ ya mike :) Hey another Washingtonian whooo hooooo I'm up north here in Everett!! Yes I know woodsrider knew that ;) I'll ask Ron when he gets home what he thinks!!

400exKy1e
09-30-2004, 08:31 PM
i just had this problem , mine would start bogging out in 3rd gear 1/2 throttle. i checked my carb and everything was good and cleaned it and everything and still had the problem, i installed a new needle from dynojet but kept my same jet (170 with k&n, pipe, open air box,) and it worked great after that, im not sure what was wrong but somethin to do with the needle.. hope this helps

Woodsrider
09-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 400exKy1e
i just had this problem , mine would start bogging out in 3rd gear 1/2 throttle. i checked my carb and everything was good and cleaned it and everything and still had the problem, i installed a new needle from dynojet but kept my same jet (170 with k&n, pipe, open air box,) and it worked great after that, im not sure what was wrong but somethin to do with the needle.. hope this helps

I guess its worth a shot, Im ready to try anything right now. My plan is to take it up to the runway this week end with a bunch of parts and tools and try to figure it out. LOL chity part is i'll probably get it figured out right before I sell my car and start tearin it down.

Kym, I wish I could blame it on that wreck, but it started before that. Its fine in the woods around here because your never in it hard enough or long enough for it to act up. But get in the sand or on the air strip where you can really use the top end and it wants to quit.