PDA

View Full Version : Up on the back tires to make more room

Meeso
09-27-2004, 02:23 AM
I need more room in my trailer and thinking about transporting/storing my 400EX in the trailer up on its back wheels. I know a lot of people do this, but I have heard things about oil getting by the rings in the motor and causing problems. I figure the way the piston is oriented on the bike it is no more horizontal on end, than when it sits on all 4 tires. With it being a dry sump motor, that should not be an issue either. Can anyone think of a reason/know of problems as to why NOT to do this before I try it?

I am also thinking of trying it on my kid's bikes (90EX and Raptor 80) to make more room in my trailer. Both bikes have pistons that are oriented at about a 30 degree to the ground as is. all the oil should stay out of the head when up on end there too.
Was planning on shutting the gas off and all that to keep the carbs from flooding all over the trailer, but any other pearls of wisdom would be helpfull.

bigbadktm
09-27-2004, 01:53 PM
i had heard that oil seeping on older 2 strokes like the 250r and lt250's. but i think as long as you let them settle for 5 min or so after unloading them, they should be fine. the other thing i heard was something about gasket seeping, on the back of the motor.

i plan on transporting mine this way on the way to the desert, so if anyone has had, or heard of a problem, i would like to know as well.

sickmojave
09-27-2004, 02:09 PM
I know that when I do this with my lawn mower the battery leaks. you may want to watch for this ;)

DaleJrFan
09-27-2004, 07:18 PM
havnt heard of any serious horror stories when it comes to the piston but i have heard a ton of stories of when loading the quad goes wrong! several guys have dropped/flipped their bikes loading and unloading. just this weekend i talked to two different people who were hauling their quads and they fell of the truck or trailer cause they didnt have them properly secured hauling them the way you are talking about. all i can say is drive slow and use as many tie downs to make sure it isnt going anywhere.

nosliw
09-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by sickmojave
I know that when I do this with my lawn mower the battery leaks. you may want to watch for this ;)

lawnmowers have batteries?!?!:confused:

EPDP99
09-28-2004, 12:52 AM
I have done this several of times and never had any problems. $ hour trips to dunes. The engine has very small ammount of oil in it so i dont think there would be a problem. the only reason I didnt like it was the safety with 2 in the back of a short bed. Just make sure you have tie downs going from front to back on both bumper and tail end and they will be extremely sturdy.

sickmojave
09-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
lawnmowers have batteries?!?!:confused:

Do you still use a rope to start your riding mower?!?! :confused:

09-28-2004, 07:40 AM
i have the one where the faster you push it the faster the blades spin..kinda fun

nosliw
09-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
Do you still use a rope to start your riding mower?!?! :confused:

oh you have a riding one... LOL

good 'ol magneto:macho

EPDP99
09-28-2004, 02:33 PM
I use my quad to do that, gets work done while having fun. LOL excellent weed puller I might add!!!

spindles
09-28-2004, 06:03 PM
never ever had a problem but do this !!!

turn off your fuel and let it run till it stalls. turning off fuel alone will still drain the fuel bowl back onto your air filter. a dry filter is worse than oil by the rings in small amounts . that is just lube

by the way the honda uses a completly sealed battery. no chance of leaking like other manufactures (no names needed). if your back gasket leaks when tilted up you needed to change it anyway!!

no worries , done lotsa lotsa times. besides i,m not on the wheels to often and not even shiny side up , just tie her in good

Meeso
09-30-2004, 02:34 AM
thanks for the heads-up. What do you mean by the back gasket leaking. Sorry, never heard of this one. The trailer is an enclosed 16+ft. V nose so things blowing out is not an issue, but I will probably need to install some more tie-downs in the floor and maybe some e-track on the walls.

What about long-term storage like this (ie several weeks-to a month?)

spindles
10-03-2004, 07:23 PM
dont worry about the gasket thing. another comment was made about it leaking but it wont. that was also on a 2 stroke . long term storage should matter either but your oil tank drains into the engine so check oil after it has been run for proper reading

mack63
10-11-2004, 05:28 PM
I have tranported my atv this way before and it worked fine. The honda manual says its OK to transport on end but you must drain the carb. first. Runing it out of gas will not drain all of the gas out of the carb. and it will leak gas when you stand it on end. Your carb. has a small screw on the bowl that you unscrew to drain the fuel.

fastkid400
10-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Your carb. has a small screw on the bowl that you unscrew to drain the fuel.
isnt it the big plug that an 11/16 wrench will loosen? right under the main jet

markk
10-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by EPDP99
I have done this several of times and never had any problems. $ hour trips to dunes. The engine has very small ammount of oil in it so i dont think there would be a problem. the only reason I didnt like it was the safety with 2 in the back of a short bed. Just make sure you have tie downs going from front to back on both bumper and tail end and they will be extremely sturdy.

We havent had a problem with loading 2 400ex's in the back of my elcamino!!
And if somone could post a pic for me, I have a pic from just today, We saw a Dodge Shadow haulling a NEW trx450r with ONE strap, from wheel well to wheel well, on the car, And the quad was just sitting sitting on the trunk lid, and the rear bumper, with the back tires suspened about 6-9inches off the ground???:eek: what are ppl thinkin!!!!