PDA

View Full Version : Whoever knows about motors, Please Help........

Silver400EXinBR
09-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Ok here it goes.. talk about a kick in the teeth......I just got the stuff done to my motor whats in my sig about 5 months ago.... it been running strong and good ever since..... well, yesterday i went to the dunes.... I changed the oil the night before..... oil filter was in correct, the bike had oil and everything.. I might have rode for 10 minutes not even hard just warming it up.... I was in 4th just riding slow in the bottom of the gear and then clack.. tires locked up and that was it.... locked up... drug it back to the campground.. took the thing off the case and tryed turning the motor and it wouldn't turn.. took the oil filter cover off and no metal particals or nuthing in the oil... the bike was full of oil like it was suposed to be... what could have happened??? I mean... i guess whats the most common thing that sounds like.... I mean worst case senario do you think??? I mean i just need help on that to look forard to fixing with out taking it somewhere or me taking it down to see?? I would appreciate all the info I can get on this... I mean I got someone that will pay me 2000 for it locked up and me not have to worry with it but could it be something simple and should i take it down my self first and see... I mean.. The only thing i could thing may have cause it about the last 3 or 4 times i cranked it when i first start it i heard a little clapping the motor but in about 5-15 seconds it would stop.... maybe the timing chain loose... could it have poped and got caught up? Just what could make that motor seize up like that..... thanks for all the help I can get ---Randy

hondarider2006
09-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Sounds like it could be your timing chain....If its not turning over at all, and just crusing along, it possibly could be that.

mojoe2878
09-26-2004, 08:23 PM
pull the cover off the top and check to see if the chain is still there, hopefully its broke and thats all it is, but to be honest it sounds like yo may have seized a crank bearing, ive had it happen to me while ridin mx on a bike that was runnin great and then just locked up, had to replace the crank, rod and piston. good luck

Silver400EXinBR
09-26-2004, 08:26 PM
i hope that is not it.... shoooo..... how much is the timing chain and usually how hard is that to change,,. and if its the bearing,.,. how much is the bearing rod, crank?/ and about how much in labort to do all that...... thanks

mojoe2878
09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
chains are about $90 for a stock one, the hardest part about gettin it on is gettin the chain on the gear in the crank case, you gotta take a couple things off to be able to put the new chain on, as far as the crank, rod and piston, that can run anywhere from about 600 to well over a 1,000. just depends on the extent of damage and what can be fixed and what must be replaced, and if you do the work or have to pay someone else to do it.

Silver400EXinBR
09-26-2004, 09:08 PM
and the best way to check the timing chain is to take of the right side case right?

mikeboone
09-26-2004, 09:14 PM
I can supply a good used crank if you need it. Like said above; remove the rocker cover and you will know if the chain broke. If it did remove the right side case and clutch basket for easy access. Hopefully your bearings are still good?

EPDP99
09-27-2004, 03:01 AM
cam chain might be it but im thinkin oil pump. clicking at startup the finally builds pressure to make it go away at idle after 15 seconds. 4th gear oil pump not able to keep up with the demand of oil needed. which would be a seized moter if that happened. Good luck and keep us posted.

Silver400EXinBR
09-27-2004, 06:14 AM
ok, if the chain is still good how would i determin f it is the oil pump? I mean, if i take off the top and look down and the chain is still intact and not broken where should i go from there? Dont know much about the oil pump... and how do i check the crank and rod.. which coers do i need to take off there... thanks for all the help you guys...

cp5899
09-27-2004, 07:47 AM
The noise you hear when starting up could be from the forged piston making the noise until it gets a little heat in it and grows into the bore. The guy who bored it might have made the clearance a little big and that would explain it. I don't set them that loose, but every builder has there own ideas?? New ford vehicles have that some noise when you start them and it goes away in a few seconds. My dad brought his new truck back because of it and they said its normal??

I see you are in Baton Rouge, I live there as well so if you need any help let me know. I have new bearings and a timing chain in stock. You can get my contact info at cpcustoms.com or email me at cp5899@cox.net

To check the timing chain you could take off the valve cover and that will expose the timing chain on the cam gear.

Good luck with it!!

Craig

Silver400EXinBR
09-27-2004, 05:39 PM
well i just took of the valve cover and i seen the tiing chain on the cam gear and it was still on the gear....... i tried to see how tight it was and it is really tight... Is that normal.... What should I do I am offered 2000 dolar right now for the bike locked up and i will not have to mess with it.. whats my next step to take...???

Xowner
09-27-2004, 05:59 PM
you didnt throw a chain did you? the drive chain im mean i dunno trying to help

hmmmmm aint their a oil line that goes up to the top of the head? if so pull that and see if their is any oil
did you see any oil up their in the head when you pulled the rocker cap off?

if not i say tell the guy you will put some of the back back stock and sell it to him!

Silver400EXinBR
09-27-2004, 06:50 PM
well here is the turn out everyone...... http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p30c698193a68e4c0b3f9a68ca5c4aa2a/f6db0959.jpg

and a little closer

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p4e6770afc8c346d808b76bd387220a21/f6db0960.jpg

to me it looks a litle like a piston..... but it looks like it would be way to big around to be 87mm piston.... if u look t how its curved... i mean what else is that skinny and thin and a little curved??? so whit just seeing that what am i looking to fix??? or should i sell it for 2000?????

i mean something like this..... what is involved that usually is always going to have to be replaced...??? i really appreciate this yall

mojoe2878
09-27-2004, 07:33 PM
that looks like your cylinder skirt. you will at least need a new piston kit, a new cylinder sleeve , and maybe a new rod and some crank work. you could get a wisco piston kit with a sleeve for around 200 , plus the machine work to put the sleeve in is around another 70 to 100. if you need another rod and crank work that will run ya upwards of 400 depending on whether your crank can be fixed or if it has to be replaced, plus labor if you dont do the tear down and re assemble yourself. if it was mine i would go ahead and pull the cylinder off and check the crank and go from there, if the crank is siezed or has a lot of up and down slack you may wany to sell it if you dont want to put that much into it, if the crank and rod look ok i would get a new sleeve and piston for it. you could find a used motor off ebay for 1,000 or less if its too trashed in there. i dont know what kinda condition you quad is in to know whether to tell you to sell it for 2,000.

TM426
09-27-2004, 07:35 PM
:( :eek: Well Im sorry to see that. That really sucks.

Silver400EXinBR
09-27-2004, 08:06 PM
well the bike is in really good shape.. i mean this is a pic of it right now with everything on it... http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/pb76791ce62570c9b2e728a13597f093a/f72282ee.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/p0b805d095b3e23eaedce915ba431db4f/f722831b.jpg

i mean it ran strong and everything.. and then clunk and now look.... this sucks....

what in the world could cause this to happen??? i mean what is i buy all this and put it all back together and it does it again... is there something that causeing it to do this??? So.. thats the sleeve that is cracked??? just wondering what its all about... at least i am learning.... at least i might be able to tear sumthing down my self and maybe fix and learn a little baout these motors....... thanks tho.....

Xowner
09-27-2004, 08:16 PM
i say fix it or part it out if you part i want price on nerfs and the bumper and headlight and the shock wears

good luck man i hate to see this but i would check your oil pump how was the play in ur crank when putting it back together did you use a manual to help put it back together?

GOOD LUCK!

Silver400EXinBR
09-27-2004, 08:27 PM
no thats pic of it right before i went to the dunes this weekend.... and this happened saturday... and today is when i took off the sidecase and found the metal.... so its in the garage with no fenders, gas tank, or right side case.....

so just let the info keep coming and the more help i can get it will be motre knoledge to me thanks yall

mojoe2878
09-27-2004, 08:34 PM
thats a good lookin quad, if it was mine i would try to fix it. theres not really any gaurantee that somethin like it wouldnt happen again, the sleeve that was in there might have just been weak, you could take a thousand of the same parts from the same manufacturer and 1 or more of them is gonna have a week spot or flaw in it. the clicking at start up that you had was probably from the piston skirt slapping the cylinder and it finally gave out, i wonder if the piston to bore clearance was correct the last time it was bored? i think you will probably be ok with a new sleeve and piston, but cant be sure till you take the head and cylinder off. i dropped a valve in my 440 about 4 weeks ago and it shattered my piston, scarred up my sleeve and tore my head up beyond repair but didnt damage my rod and crank. just had a weak valve in it. got it all back together last week and its runnin good again.if you dont do the work yourself make sure you take it to someone who's good at what they do. i work on all my stuff because the few times ive taken something somewhere they have screwed it up or didnt help the problem any

where did you get those nerf bars from?, ive been tryin to find some like that, with the heel gaurds and cant find em anywhere

cp5899
09-28-2004, 06:44 AM
That sucks to see that!!

It sounds like the piston to cylinder wall clearance wasn't right and it was causing piston slap which will cause the sleeve and piston to weaken over time.

Thats a good looking bike and if you like the bike than it is worth fixing.

Good luck with it.

Craig