PDA

View Full Version : K&N filters

04-10-2002, 07:16 PM
I run a k&n filter with a precharger but i'm concerned cause the filter oil seems to run off the filter into my airbox quite rapidly. How often are you supposed to oil them?

Tlongs400
04-10-2002, 08:02 PM
WITH ME I JUST CLEAN IT ABOUT EVERY 3 OR 4 RIDES OR WHENEVER THE FILTER GETS DIRTY THEN I CLEAN IT AND PUT THE OIL ON IT..

400exRacerX
04-10-2002, 08:04 PM
Oil it every time you clean it. I have 2 K&N filters and clean adn re-oil it after every ride.

Ex'r Marlin
04-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Re oil the filter after "properly" cleaning the filter with " K&N filter cleaner". First, remove the "pre charger" cover, spray filter cleaner on outside of filter, let sit for 10 minutes, then run warm water from the inside out. After allowing it to fully dry naturally, without forced air, apply the K&N filter oil on each pleat. Let sit for a few minutes, reapply where you see white spots, (where the red oil missed). Onced you fully coat it, I usually use a paper towel and wrap it around the filter to remove the excess oil. I clean the pre charger with laundry detergent, let dry, and mount back on the filter. Whaaaa laaaa, done.

Note: I clean it once I see the pre charger dirty, which is usually after every ride for me. That's why I have two filters too.:D

R-Crazy
04-10-2002, 09:11 PM
i dont think filter oil will harm you engine. Not to say Ex'r Marlin is wrong, but i have seen a k7n just be put in warm water for 1/2 and hour an it get the oil and dirt off, with no cleaner. The oiling part is a MUST!!! The precharger, a hose and sunlight works best for me.

dave

04-10-2002, 10:19 PM
Just follow everyones info here and you will not have any problems.

ex'r marlin does his by the book, and you should too.

as far as the extra oil on the bottom of the air box, unless you get like a qt splashing around just leave it there,as it will attract dust and dirt that would have otherwise been clogging your nice clean filter.

04-11-2002, 08:05 AM
the only reason i was wondering is because i know that the filter doesn't work if it's not oiled and it makes me wonder if it's even working considering most of the oil i put on the filter ends up in my airbox

Ex'r Marlin
04-11-2002, 09:00 AM
If you are using the K&N air filter oil, which has a red color to it, you will know if you have enough oil on your filter by visually seeing a lot of pink to red color on each pleat. If you see a lot of white, then it is recommended to put some more oil on it. If you find a lot of oil on the bottom of your air box, and your filter has all the pleats coated to at least a pink color, I would think you used too much oil.

Note: If you go through a lot of water on your atv, and the air box gets water in it, it will start to bleed the excess oil off the filter and pool on the bottom of the air box.