View Full Version : Small oil leak???

TN94z
09-26-2004, 12:09 PM
I have a small oil leak and wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem from their 450. It seems to be coming from the hose running to the black catch can under the left rear fender. I assume this is a breather that runs from the oilf filter to the catch can. Anyway, it looks like the problem is the tensionless factory clamp that Yamaha puts on it. I am gonna replace it with a real hose clamp. I was just curious if anyone else had this problem and wanted to hear your solutions. It only seems to leak after the motor has been turned up for a second. Doesn't really do it from idling only. Thanks in advance

intruder
09-26-2004, 10:38 PM
You should not get oil into that hose unless you stand the quad on end or ride wheelies all the time. If your getting oil from that hose then you're starting to get some blow-by and the rings need replaced. If that's the case do it quick or end up spending much more money.

TN94z
09-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Well, it's not exactly getting into the hose. or air box or anything. It looks like it is just leaking where the hose connects to the engine. It is not running down the hose or anything...does that make sense? The four wheeler only has about 10 hours on it

gyt-r450
09-27-2004, 12:30 PM
dont see it on mine

TN94z
09-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Okay, I dug a little further into my leak this afternoon. I removed the chain gaurd and sprocket. There is a silver plate behind the sprocket that is held on by two bolts. Well, then oil is leaking from behind this plate. It was then hitting the chain, which was throwing the oil onto the hose that I thought it was coming from. Anyway, I know this is where it is coming from because I had a rag wiping it dry and wathcing leak more. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any ideas what it could be. It is leaking right behind the bottom bolt that holds that plate on.

JHEYL
09-27-2004, 09:40 PM
I D LOOK FOR A CRACK IN THE CASE. HAVE YOU THROWN A CHAIN. WHAT SIZE FR SPROCKET.

TN94z
09-28-2004, 07:36 AM
I have not thrown a chain and the sprocket is the one that came from factory. There is not a crack...I think it is coming from the seal around the shaft that the sprocket attaches to. Can that seal be changed from outside???

dhines
09-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Yeah, the seal can be changed from the outside.

Here is a link:

Fix (http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=10328&hl=oil+leak&)

TN94z
09-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Man I appreciate that link....exactly what I needed and now I can fix it this weekend. Thanks again!!!

yfzracer220
09-28-2004, 04:55 PM
I had this exact problem on my yfz put in a new seal and its been fine ever since. Also I've never thrown a chain.

TN94z
09-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Okay..now I am confused. I go out today ride the 4 wheeler around the yard and bring it back in. I take off the sprocket, chain guard, etc...to make sure that is where the leak is and all of the sudden, there is no leak. I let it idle for a while reving it up occasionally and nothing. What could make the seal leak and then all of the sudden stop leaking??? I went and bought the stuff to fix it today and everything. I am really confused now. Any thoughts?

dhines
09-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Some dirt or grime may have gotten up in there and plugged the hole temporarily. I'd go ahead and clean the whole area up real good and then run the bike to see if it is still leaking. Don't assume it is fixed. Take the time to make sure it is ok.

TN94z
09-29-2004, 07:50 AM
If you are talking about the seal, than that is what I was thinking. I have had that happen on cars before. I am gonna run the crap out of it this evening and try and make it leak...if it doesn't leak after that then I guess it is fixed. We'll see

TN94z
10-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Well, I have rode the crap out of it for the past three days and still no more leak. So I am assuming that it has sealed itself off. Guess I will keep the new parts for future. Thanks for everyone's suggestions