PDA

View Full Version : Long travel suspension problems, need suggestions

mstngmatt
09-25-2004, 10:00 PM
I put long travel front and rear suspension on my YFZ. Quad rate elkas up front and dual rate elka and link for the rear. Janssen racing swinger and a-arms. The problem is the rear caliper and rotor are hitting my pipe, and the mounting bolt for the caliper is also hitting the plastic fenders right on the side of the battery. I have less than two hours on the suspension set up and in another two hours my pipe, rear fender(battery box) and battery are going to be completely shot. :( :( :( Any suggestions--- Does everyone have this many problems with this aftermarket stuff????

4TraxRider
09-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Everybody I've met so far with LT rears on a YFZ have problems hittin the pipes. We made spacers for my friends and a few other people did so as well.

quadnice
09-25-2004, 11:19 PM
A buddies quad who has the exact same setup as yours did the EXACT same thing!

IMO,..........Elka link = JUNK!!!

I had a Elka shock & link on my Z400 last year & that too wrecked my Yosh Pipe:mad: I had to put ANOTHER $300 into my $800 rear shock ( custom main & sag springs ) +++ANOTHER $150 for a new canister sleeve & hardware. I called Elka to have them send me a heavier spring,.....but according to them, I had the Heaviest rated spring they made!
The additional travel your gaining from the link is all bottoming travel,.....therefore not worth the $$$ spent or wrecked parts!
1) You can try to put all the preload you can into the spring & hope this solves your problem.
2) See if there is a heavier spring available.
3) Return or sell the link, & go back to the stock link (As there is nothing wrong w/ the stock link)

Scottie Mac
09-26-2004, 09:42 AM
It doesn't make a difference if you are using Elkas, PEPs or Axis, with a long travel link, you WILL have this problem. The only way to fix it is to get a Roll swingarm. They are the only company who make a rear end set up that rotates the brake caliper to the rear of the quad, that way it misses the pipe and battery tray. But, this is a 1200 buck fix.

My suggestion, put the stock linkage on and have your rear shock set up for that. The YFZ doesn't need the long travel linkage.

Scott

mstngmatt
09-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by quadnice
A buddies quad who has the exact same setup as yours did the EXACT same thing!

IMO,..........Elka link = JUNK!!!

I had a Elka shock & link on my Z400 last year & that too wrecked my Yosh Pipe:mad: I had to put ANOTHER $300 into my $800 rear shock ( custom main & sag springs ) +++ANOTHER $150 for a new canister sleeve & hardware. I called Elka to have them send me a heavier spring,.....but according to them, I had the Heaviest rated spring they made!
The additional travel your gaining from the link is all bottoming travel,.....therefore not worth the $$$ spent or wrecked parts!
1) You can try to put all the preload you can into the spring & hope this solves your problem.
2) See if there is a heavier spring available.
3) Return or sell the link, & go back to the stock link (As there is nothing wrong w/ the stock link)

WoW!!!!
:( If I went back to the stock link do I'm I gonna need my shock revalved for that or will it work good?? Is cranking the rear spring going to effect the handling of the machine??

Thanks

dhines
09-27-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
It doesn't make a difference if you are using Elkas, PEPs or Axis, with a long travel link, you WILL have this problem. The only way to fix it is to get a Roll swingarm. They are the only company who make a rear end set up that rotates the brake caliper to the rear of the quad, that way it misses the pipe and battery tray. But, this is a 1200 buck fix.

My suggestion, put the stock linkage on and have your rear shock set up for that. The YFZ doesn't need the long travel linkage.

Scott

Actually, JB sells a swingarm with the caliper rotated for about half that.

Scottie Mac
09-27-2004, 06:54 PM
JB makes good stuff, too. I didn't know their swinger rotated the caliper. Good information. And yes, half the proce is always a positive.

Scott

JHEYL
09-27-2004, 09:34 PM
IS IT A ROUND STYLE SWING ARM ? IF IT IS RPM MAKES A CALIPER CARRIER THAT ROTATES THE CALIPER BACK SO THIS DOESNT HAPPEN

mstngmatt
09-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Yes it is a round style housing and the caliper is rotated pretty far to the rear. The main problem is where the rotor is hitting my 700 dollar WB pipe.:( Called elka and they are sending a stiffer spring, but I don't think that is going to solve my problem. Yon? at Elka says the pipe should not hit the rotor, but all the battery boxes will hit. Sounds like an f'ed up set up to me. I bottomed the rear out hard several times is it possible the shock bumper squished down too much and that is what my problem could be? I can buy the battery box if I have to but I'm more worrier about my pipe!!

Sorry to ramble on so much.... Just pisses me off!!!

09-29-2004, 07:31 PM
for ht caliper hittin the battery, lay that gold color battery bracket out comletely flat across the subframe(gota bend it ) , fill in the added space wher the batteery used to be with foam

SRH
10-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac

Scott

rpm does too.... im gettinga 250r caliper for mine mounts it on top....worse come to worse i will shave out that plastic section behind the airbox.... i want the elka center link but not the lt, i wnat the one that just changes the g eometry a lil too make the shock stroke better

Sick0
10-02-2004, 05:06 PM
A diffrent swingarm won't fix the problem. I have the same problem with my elka linkage. My pipe has a huge hole in it right now. But, swingarm is hitting my air box as well.

I think That the problems is elka is setting the rear shock way to soft for the linkage. Souldn't the vavling and spring load be set right so that the quad will only bare bottom out on hard landing. I bottom out on whoops and small jumps.
I have the compression and rebound all the way up also. The only way I have found to prevent it from bottoming out it jack the pre-load all the way up.

yzf quad
10-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by dhines
Actually, JB sells a swingarm with the caliper rotated for about half that. as does LSR ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p346ebb8ab39a059463448bab708631a1/f6ed70cf.jpg

SuzukiRacr07
10-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by yzf quad
as does LSR ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p346ebb8ab39a059463448bab708631a1/f6ed70cf.jpg ya like my bike brad? lol

ChuckSpears825
10-04-2004, 05:56 PM
I thought I saw that Lonestar was making a battery box. This may raise the box up so you don't hit it with the caliper. Also,
I have the Houser LT swingarm/linkage set up. They gave me 2 spacers to mount to my pipe to extend it beyond the caliper. Work great.

maverick7593
10-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Everybody seems to want to blame the suspension for hitting the exhuast but in my opinion it has more to do with the pipe itself. Look at how close to the frame a aftermarket pipe mounts compared to the stock pipe. The stock pipe sits much further out which misses the brake caliper.

As far as the hitting the battery box, I have done that with my completely stock setup as well. I have heard (have not seen this setup) that the Lonestar battery box moves the battery forward and up to allow for more clearance from the swingarm.