PDA

View Full Version : You know you're from Pennsylvania when.......

stace609
09-25-2004, 12:23 AM
You know you're from Pennsylvania when.......

You know what a "State Store" is, and your out of
state friends find it incredulous that you can't purchase liquor at the mini-mart.

You don't understand what all the hype is about for Yeungling or Rolling Rock beer, you've been drinking it for years even though Iron City is cheaper.

You live for summer & fall, when street fairs signal the beginning of funnel cake season.

You know what REAL potpie is. You ask the waitress for "dippy eggs" for breakfast.

Your turkey has "filling," not "stuffing," and most certainly, NOT
"dressing."

You consider Pittsburgh to be "out west," and you know the fastest way to Philly is the Turnpike.

When someone says 1972, you think "Agnes," and when
someone says 1979, you think"TMI".

You call sloppy joes, "barbecue. When it snows, they put cinders on the roads instead of sand.

Know that Yeungling is pronounced "Ying-ling," and believe that it really is a premium beer (which comes from growing up on
Schlitz and Iron City).

The first day of Buck season and the first day of Doe season are school holidays.

One of the highlights of your life was a field trip to Penn's cave and Horseshoe curve.

You know exactly what to do when your mother tells you to "red up" your room.

You know the time and location of every "wing night" in a 20 mile radius.

You don't think people from Philly or Pittsburgh talk funny.

All of your childhood vacations were trips to the Jersey shore.

You design your children's Halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit.

Driving is always better in winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

You find 20 degrees just a little chilly.

You can recite the four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and construction.

Words like "hoagie", "crick", "chipped ham",cubby-hole, and "pop" actually mean something to you.

You can use the phrase "fire hall wedding reception" and not even bat an eye.

You think nothing of an Amish buggy on the road.

You learned long ago how to "step carefully" around the buggy tie-ups in the supermarket parking lot.

You constantly refer to Pennsylvania as "PA" (pronounced Pee-ay). How many other states do that?

You can go 2 weeks in winter without sunshine and think this is normal.

You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Virginville,Paradise, Mars, and Slippery Rock are PA towns.

There is no such thing as a "Philly Cheesesteak". Its just called a
Cheesesteak since everybody knows where they come from.

Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.

"Vacation" means going to Hershey Park for the weekend.

You know several people who have hit deer more than once.

You often switch from "Heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

You use a down comforter in the summer.

Your grandparents drive at 65 mph through 13 feet
of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.

You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.

You install security lights on your house and garage and then leave both unlocked.

You think of the major food groups as deer meat, fish, and berries.

You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend or wife knows how to use them.

There are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at the Sheetz mini-mart at any given time.

You can actually eat cold pizza (even for breakfast) and know others who do the same. Those from NY find this "barbaric. "

You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know that it comes innseveral colors: Red, White,Brown, and Gold.

At least 5 people on your block (for the city folks) have electric
"candles" in all or most of their windows all year long.

You know several places to purchase or that serve Scrapple, Summer Sausage (Lebanon Bologna), and Hot Bacon Dressing.

You can't go to a Pennsylvania Wedding without hearing the "Chicken Dance"and at least 5 other Polkas.

stace609
09-25-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm from Slippery Rock btw :cool:

400grl
09-25-2004, 07:11 AM
:huh :huh I think I only understood one of those......kinda.......but just talking about snow makes me miss seeing the white stuff around Christmas time!!! I bet it's so beatiful there in the fall!!!! Here....our trees never really turn.....well....if we get really cold night or two in a row (below 32) then they will turn - but that's usually not until...like....end of January!! LOL!!!

MOFO
09-25-2004, 07:19 AM
LOL... all of those hit home for me!

I really liked the one about your grandparents driving 65mph in several feet of snow. I remember as a kid when my grandmother would pick us up, it was a wild ride... :cool:

Stevie-D
09-25-2004, 08:44 AM
how true. i like the hoagie one. i went to delaware with my soccer team last year for a tourny. i went into a deli and asked for a hoagie and the people had no idea what i was talking about:p

rideREDrider
09-25-2004, 08:57 AM
you are deffinitly right about a lot of them.

I'm guilty

400EXrider#91
09-25-2004, 08:57 AM
yep, most of them are so true

bansheeguy77
09-25-2004, 09:10 AM
lol yeah i got all of them. i didnt think we were that different :confused:

acold7dusta
09-25-2004, 09:12 AM
those we'rent that funny but that maybe cuz im from NY, not PA lol

JDiablo
09-25-2004, 09:36 AM
i actually no wat blue balls is,and frosty balls,i haven't been there in like two years tho,but **** that water IS NUMBING!@!! lol at least i no were they get the name from

Tommy 17
09-25-2004, 09:50 AM
is it really bad if i do everyone of those things:huh :p :D

the only thing i can add is one word... YINZ!:devil: no matter if its a girl talkin to girls, boys to boys, or boys to girls its always what yinz guys doin tonight:huh :p

JDiablo
09-25-2004, 09:51 AM
you hillbilly's

lol ....j/k

BOONE450R
09-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Thats no ***** i lived in chambersburg PA. for about 3 years, boy its a differnt world up there.

Tommy 17
09-25-2004, 10:16 AM
o and theres nothing like a sheetz mto at 2am when ur drunk off ur :eek: from rollin rock:p

and every wedding or big party u go to u can pretty much name the food...

chicken, pierogies, haluski, pigs in the blanket, spaghetti and meatballs, all those salad thingies, BBQ spare ribs, and the grill with hot dogs, hamburgers, and deer meat:p and then you know that party or wedding is at 1 of 2 places... the firehall or the gun club:p

bansheeguy77
09-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
is it really bad if i do everyone of those things:huh :p :D

the only thing i can add is one word... YINZ!:devil: no matter if its a girl talkin to girls, boys to boys, or boys to girls its always what yinz guys doin tonight:huh :p

no tommy thats just you with yinz :blah: us normal hillbilly pa ppl dont say it.

Tommy 17
09-25-2004, 12:56 PM
your 2 far east... its more towards the burgh

bansheerider_13
09-25-2004, 01:54 PM
so true i understand all of thoses and didnt thing we were that bad o well

crday98
09-25-2004, 07:05 PM
alright,i can laugh at some but "don't poke at my choice of beer":grr:
pottsville is my home town(where it is made)and i can say i do know what the hype is.premium is not my preference but "lager" is and for some reason others seem to love it too.(story time boys and girls) one time,when i was partying on the beach at the jersy shore(HA HA,i know) we came across another party of people from texas.when they found out we had yuengling lager,they went nuts. they offered me $50 for just shy of 1/2 a case:huh that i only paid $12 for the whole.of course, i gladly accepted and walked away laughing.also when i was in florida on a few occasions,people went nuts when they found out where i was from all due to yuengling beer.the silliest of them all is when i purchased an item off ebay recently from a guy in california.i get a shipment notification and an added note that saying"BTW,i love yuengling lager":huh .
lol,i like the beer over any other out there but ,for some reason,people go nuts over this stuff.

i know it is only a joke but whoever it was that made that up, should at the least,learn how to spell it correctly.it's not "Yeungling", it is "Yuengling" or "Vitamin Y" or simply "Hometown" to the local folk;) :D

Tommy 17
09-25-2004, 07:25 PM
crday i will agree with u... i live 3 hours away and they still flip out when they hear i'm from PA bc of rolling rock and ying

bansheerider_13
09-26-2004, 09:20 AM
you guys are forgetting one of the other hometown brews straub is brewed in st.marys and tell you the truth i like that better then yuengling