PDA

View Full Version : RAZR's too heavy

thame2010
09-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Hi,
a few months ago I buyed a set of razrs (fron - rear), and I think that they did hook up awesome on dirt, and perform good on sand, but something I didn't like at all was the weight. Considering I have a stock EX, it feels like it doesn't have the power to make the rears spin as fast as I'd like and for example, after I got the razr's, I just COULDN'T make wheelies anymore, and I was very good at that with my ohtsu's. By the way, the fronts are 21x7-10 one inch smaller than the stockers but I think the fact that is affecting my power so badly is the weight of these tires. I'm somehow disappointed with this, do you know of some fron tires besides the stockers that are not so heavy and that come in 22x7-10??
Another fact is that my bro has a another 400ex completely stock, and after I rode mine, and rode with his, I felt how it pulled on 2nd and 3rd gear, it pulled A LOT more than mine :( ..maybe I should have stayed with my worn-out stockers:grr:

By the way, I'm getting a UNI Filter and a HMF Slip-On, I hope that helps me out.

Thanks for your answers and opinions ;)

bradley300
09-24-2004, 08:03 PM
ive always run holeshots and could still wheele a stock 300ex in 2nd gear always and 3rd if i tried. great tires too!

theTman
09-24-2004, 08:03 PM
i only got rear razrs....i still wheelie fine:confused:

09-24-2004, 09:42 PM
my bros razrs just came in and his are 20x11x9 and they are freakin heavy i couldnt believe how heavy they were. i can see how your losing power

user101
09-24-2004, 10:41 PM
if you think that tires that weigh a couple of pounds more that the stockers effect wheelie enough to be noticable something is wrong

cals400ex
09-25-2004, 01:54 AM
if your running 22's, you will want to get a 14 tooth front sprocket. this will bring the gearing back close to stock. by the way, i have a 14 tooth renthal front that has only 30 minutes on it if you want it. pm me if your interested.

thame2010
09-25-2004, 02:08 PM
sEX, I agree, and consider that I have razr's on the front too, and they have less height than the stocks.. to user101, I don't think there's something wrong, my quad runs great, but seriously think about it, they're not a couple of pounds, I think that I gained like 20, at least it feels like that..and even lowered my front.
by the way, I'm talking about wheelieng on sand, you know that there it is harder to hook up, I mean, razr's ar as good as stock tires on sand, and on dirt I can still wheelie good..
anyway, it's my fault this has happened so my advise is, If you have a "stock" EX, DO NOT put a complete set of aftermarket tires on it because it'll get really heavier.. It losts that aggressive "punch" you feel, the powerband.. and I know it, cause I can compare it with my bro's ex..

..do you know of any front tire that could weight less and come in the stock size?

Tommy 17
09-25-2004, 02:26 PM
what size tire is the rear???? if its 22x11x9 then thats ur problem... u put on a bigger tire which takes bottom end away... u need to drop a tooth on the front sproket and it'll be exactly like it was b4;)

thame2010
09-25-2004, 02:40 PM
nope;), they're 20x11-9

cals400ex
09-25-2004, 04:31 PM
put stock tires back on or use the stock Z's and KFX's. they are all light just not very puncture resistant. for my type of riding, i like those light ones that ride smooth too.

GoFastCat
09-25-2004, 05:37 PM
I agree with user101 and that something must be wrong. My brother has has a 400EX with only a K&N filter and jet kit. He has ran rear razr's for a long while and just got new front Razr's, the same size you are running. Sure the tires are heavier then the stockers but not that heavy his still wheelies easily in 3rd gear with a tug on the bars.
Of course the new Razr's aren't going to spin as much as the wimpy worn out stock tires, they hook up and go :)

dynofox
09-25-2004, 09:12 PM
I've got 20-11-9 razrs on my 400ex and really don't like them because they are heavier. The extra rotating weight can be felt. From what I understand 1lbs of rotating weight is like 7lbs of stationary weight. I have since bought a pair of dunlop radials off a 450r for my quad. I personally like the ride quality and light weight of the radial tires.

drifterx
09-25-2004, 11:56 PM
I got the same tires in the same size as thame2010 on my 300ex, the engine is totally stock except for a little cutting on the muffler, which only adds noise. I did go up a tooth on the front sprocket to even out the smaller rear tires, but i don't see how that could make a difference. I have no problem doing wheelies, i even think it is easier to wheelie with them on. Don't know what to tell ya. Maybe try upping the tire pressure in the rear, i guess its worth a shot, i been running mine at 13 to get the bead all the way popped out. :confused:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/pb74d68f49acbf56175fea55fa5a71fdc/f6f53d3d.jpg

toby400ex
09-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Its all in your head man. I had a 400 with a stock engine and razrs all around for over a year. Wheelies are not a problem, razrs just kick ***.

thame2010
09-26-2004, 11:29 AM
1. I'm talking about wheelies on sand where they don't hook up as great as on dirt.
2. It's not something in my head because I compared both ex's my brother and mine and they were bought at the same time so they're pretty much equal, but with this tires on, mine lost a lot of power.
3. The only thing I'm trying to say is, if you have a stock EX, like mine, just don't do this, at least don't buy the 4 tires, I guess that having only the rears is fine, but the whole set makes you lose a lot of power (on sand), at least on dirt they hook up really good and even if you lose power, you "recover" it from the great hook up.

.. I'm gonna put the stock front tires back, that's it.

user101
09-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Its all in your head man. I had a 400 with a stock engine and razrs all around for over a year. Wheelies are not a problem, razrs just kick ***.

EXACTLY..its all in your head, a tire is a tire, ive had razr's,holeshots, and kendas and my motor is stock and it is 6 years old (w/o a rebuild) and i have never felt a weight difference in tires when i tried to wheelie, sure other tires hook up better than others but the whole thing about razrs are heavier and make it harder to wheelie is rediculous.

William400ex
09-26-2004, 07:22 PM
nah same here. When I put the razrs on you can feel the power drop. I've recently went to a 14 tooth but now I just have to run through the gears quicker.

300exPat
09-26-2004, 08:59 PM
your like little girls, razr's dont weigh that much that they are going to stop you from wheelying, if they do then you need to learn how to ride:o

remlapr
09-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Why not just buy some paddles in the rear and sand fronts on blue label rims for the sand? It would be lighter then stock for sure and hook up better. Keep the razr's on the stock rims for the dirt...

thame2010
09-27-2004, 12:13 PM
It can't be in my head man, 'cause I know what I feel, and the power drop is noticeable, maybe you had no prob because you bought only rears, but put some 21x7x10 on the front and then tell me how was it, you DO feel the lowered front and added weight. So plz don't opine if you have only the rears, I'm talking about the whole set, wich is A LOT heavier, at least, it feels a lot heavier, and I still wheelie on dirt, the prob is on sand. remlapr; I was looking for "all around" tires so I got those, and by the way, where I live they don't sell paddles :( ..

Maybe you thought that I was trying to say that razr's were bad tires, on the contrary! I think they are great for what they've been made, but still, I don't recommend to get the whole set because of their weight, change only the rears if you ever decide to change tires and you have a STOCK ex or get some radials ;)

..By the way user101, you said your engine was stock, OK, but I mean a completely stock bike, with a stock exhaust and filter.

Greetings :)

sportraxkid
12-24-2004, 01:35 AM
Are 250x/350x wheelies from 1-4 easy with brand new razrs on the front? I swear some of you find a way to ***** about everything.

maskale
12-24-2004, 07:26 AM
there is a reason people take off their stockers and put on aftermarket, and that is because they are better.

IF you do not like razrs then take them off, IT is that simple. They are not 20 pounds heavier like someone said here, maybe a pound or two, and that should not make that big a difference, and if it does you should probably go to the LITTLE BOYS room and dump some weight before you go riding.

Yes I have razrs and I am happy with them.

And like remlapr said just get some paddles, yeah they dont sell them where I live either, but there is the net, and a postal system that can deliver anything you want. 99.9% of everything I buy comes through the mail.

watts16
12-24-2004, 07:57 AM
I have a 300EX mostly stock and i have holtshot XCT 22 inch in the rear and i have no problem doing wheelies 1-3 in the sand maybe your clutch is slipping?

400exrider04
12-24-2004, 04:59 PM
the 1-2 pounds the razrs way over the stockers is not gonna make u loose enough power to notice a differance try cleaning the air filter that could be why ur quad doesnt feel as powerful as it has been in the past

balls2da-wall
12-24-2004, 06:44 PM
well if your wanting to wheelie in sand then maybe you shouldnt have bought a XC racing tire:D...their 6 ply...what do you expect?:p

Out_Sider
12-24-2004, 07:44 PM
dude.. there is no way, lol, i had 20x11-9 rear razrs (4 ply) and 22x8-10 front razrs (6 ply) on my stock 300ex, and on sand i could wheelie it and everything

thame2010
12-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Dude, I CAN wheelie on sand, I've done a 931 feet wheelie, but I'm telling you that the quad feels heavier than with stock tires.
I mean I prefer stock tires for wheelies on sand, but on dirt, this tires have no match! they f***ing rule!!
And they say Razr's 2 are even better :eek2:

..and by the way, this thread is Dead

cals400ex
12-25-2004, 01:03 PM
i like the stock tires too. they are lighter and ride much smoother. the only problem is puncture resistance. my next purchase is going to be something lighter and softer than my 4 ply shredders.

flash
12-26-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm runnin Razor2's and they didn't take away any power from my GasGas.:D

GasGas=FastFast

honda92
12-26-2004, 08:20 PM
i got the 22x11x9 studded with a 14tooth front sprocket, when i can hook up the front end pops up real quick

coryatver
12-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Just because it says the razrs are 20 in. they are actually 21. Are we talking about razr 2 or the regular razrs? what ply are they? they come in 4 ply or 6 ply in regular razr. The stock tires are 2 ply. They are not that much more heavy you shouldn't notice any power difference. Something else could be wrong with your bike. Is your air filter clean?

balls2da-wall
12-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Real men dont care about riding wheelies...their more worried about going fast...which the razrs help you do:D

robbo1
12-27-2004, 06:23 PM
dude..you are judging between a 300 and 400 ex...the 400 has alot more pull to it no matter what tire you run. i have razr II all around and even though they are heavier...they dont make the quad handle all that different, in a wheelie. when you put your stocks back on...youll be dissapointed about the way the stocks hookup and how it feels like its gonna roll over in a corner. leave the razrs on and spend the ten bucks for a 14 front sprocket.:ermm: