PDA

View Full Version : POS won't start

turboTony
09-24-2004, 05:39 PM
So, I hadn't ridden my quad in like a week and 1/2. I figured I'd take it for a short ride before I changed the oil. Took about 10 kicks for it to fire. (Usually starts 2nd):mad:
Running like ***. Stalled everytime I gave it gas. Finally get it going and it's still sputtering but take it for a short ride anyway. Ran it for about 5-6 min and it was fine. Stopped and let it idle for a few and no problems.
I changed the oil and tranny fluid and tried to start it again. No go. I kicked that thing for like 15 min and didn't sound like it even wanted to fire.
Fed-Ex guy came and dropped off my skid plates so I threw those on and tried it again. After 10 kicks, started but running real rough. Tried revving a little and it sputtered and died. Kicked again for about 15 min and still won't start.... :grr:
I pulled the plug and there's a little carbon around the top but not too bad. :confused:
Tried again and still won't start...
Any ideas before I truck it 45 min to the dealer? It's still under warranty so I'll probably take it back anyway.

AtvMxRider
09-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Put a new plug in it.

benwa450r
09-24-2004, 06:27 PM
1) Don't touch the throttle. 2) pull the choke up ( yellow lever left side of carb locks in up position ) 3) kick easy until you feel compression lift kicker and give it a full kick over. Should start first... sometimes second kick.

turboTony
09-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by benwa450r
1) Don't touch the throttle. 2) pull the choke up ( yellow lever left side of carb locks in up position ) 3) kick easy until you feel compression lift kicker and give it a full kick over. Should start first... sometimes second kick.

Yeah, I know the procedure. :cool:
I've had it for a little over a month and even when cold and using the choke, it'll start 2nd kick.
Now, it just won't fire. I'm going to grab a couple plugs tomorrow from the dealer (not the easiest plugs to find I might add) And see if that cures it. If not I'm going to bring it back and tell them to fix it.
Should I the the colder plug? It has 2 listed in the manual and the one it came stock with was the one for "normal" use. Should I try the one for "extensive high speed riding"?:devil:

benwa450r
09-24-2004, 07:42 PM
I'd buy the one that came with the bike. You'll only buy one when you see the price. If new plug doesn't help... take it back to the dealer and save yourself a headache. Didn't mean to insult. Some people don't know the bike has a choke and they stab the throttle when starting. Good luck.

turboTony
09-24-2004, 07:53 PM
I called a local auto parts store and they wanted $10/ea but had to order it. I then called a couple bike shops and they were like "holy ****, thats for WHAT bike???" :D
So, I'm going to take a ride to the dealer and grab a couple and mention why I'm getting them. Maybe they'll have some input. (doubtful)
I heard that the plugs were $13 a pop but I'll still grab 2 anyway just to have a spare...

bradley300
09-24-2004, 08:06 PM
where do you store it? its possible that there is some moisture in the carb. take it apart, blow all the jets out and put it back together.

this is what happens to my blaster if it sits for long periods

09-24-2004, 08:10 PM
sounds like a carb problem try this:D take some eather (starting fluid) and sray a LITTLE on the filter or into the intake . if it fires , even for a sec. it's the carb. then take the carb off and clean it. ( did you take the gas line off to see if you'r getin fuel):confused: good luck!!!!

turboTony
09-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Hasn't really been that damp and it's stored in a garage.
The thing thats weird though is once I "rode" it, it was ok when it was warmed up. After a 2 min rip through the woods, I sat and let it idle and it was perfect. Then after it cooled off and I started it again, same ****...
I'll change the plug and if that doesn't cure it, I'll tear into it. Dealer is last resort but I might as well take advantage of the 6 month warranty. ;)
edit: Would a dirty air filter cause any problems like this. Now that I think of it, I was riding through some pretty dusty trails the week before last...

kwatts400
09-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Yep, I had that problem with my 250r during my trip to Georgia. I thought I did a good job cleaning the filter before the trip, but I found out that I was wrong. The sad part was that we were doing a little drag racing at the time, and I had to sit there and watch.

Jersey450R
09-25-2004, 06:43 AM
make sure your not hitting the gas when your trying to start the quad. you dont have to do this on the 450's. my start up procedure is... 1. pull up the choke 2. blip the throttle ever so slightly to move the cable 3. kick over...not fast, it should take a full second to kick it down 4. starts on 1st kick everytime. as soon as it starts take the choke off and let idle for a minute 4. rev it a few times and your off.

TrX450rKiD
09-25-2004, 08:25 AM
I had a similar problem last time I cleaned my air filter. For a couple days it was just running like ***** ...

It seemed like every time I started it (not very often) it ran a little better and longer. When you do get it to start (keep trying it) just let it idle, and after a little while S L O W L Y give it gas, then let go of the throttle ... try this a few times :cool:

turboTony
09-25-2004, 10:06 AM
so yeah, I'm an idiot.:rolleyes:
When moving it around, I could hear fuel sloshing around in the tank so I never gave it much thought but I guess there wasn't much as I believed there to be...
lesson learned: Check fuel level before starting.:D

09-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by turboTony
so yeah, I'm an idiot.:rolleyes:
When moving it around, I could hear fuel sloshing around in the tank so I never gave it much thought but I guess there wasn't much as I believed there to be...
lesson learned: Check fuel level before starting.:D it takes a real man to admit this...i dont know if I could.....good job

bulkdriverlp
09-25-2004, 08:20 PM
good thing you didnt take to dealer hua

turboTony
09-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
good thing you didnt take to dealer hua
I woulda been like, "uhhh... whoops..." :macho

Fred55
09-25-2004, 10:47 PM
I work at a dealer here in Wis. and its not all that uncommon for people to bring quads in that they ran out of gas....lol

Shipdawg
09-26-2004, 03:20 AM
OMG!!!!!!!! thats the funniest thing i've ever heard! but hey it happens to the best of us. its always the simplest things confuse the **** out of us. oh well. lata dude. :D :p :eek2:

blasterkid
09-26-2004, 06:20 AM
i have a sotry like this one. i was at the track and just like u it wasnt running right so i was like let me just take it on te track and see if its better right out of thegates it died and i was like crap and i was looking at the carb cus i had just changed the jetting so i was like what did i break. they had to tow me back and i was so confident that it was something with the jetting or carb and while im screwing around with the bike the guy who towed me back with like 4 teeth was like" u got any gas in er" i was like siht im an idiot

redriderex
09-26-2004, 08:03 AM
ya tony,tell them that i went up your house and look at your r and turn on your reserve and it started 2nd kick,ha ha ha ,live and learn

turboTony
09-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by redriderex
ya tony,tell them that i went up your house and look at your r and turn on your reserve and it started 2nd kick,ha ha ha ,live and learn
http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org:8080/smile/finger.gif
I'm sure I won't live this one down for a LONG time. heh.
So, you up for a ride Sunday? One of my buddy's in Charlton just got a 04' kfz 700. Give me a call or let Sean know... If you need my number, send me a PM.