PDA

View Full Version : Non union collar bone break

canukracer
09-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Anyone have a collar bone that took a long time to heel? Mine is 3 months and still not great?

brian-250
09-24-2004, 03:30 PM
:eek2: your scarin me, i broke mine sunday, it feels like its heelin but IDK.:confused:

QCquad83
09-24-2004, 03:43 PM
mine took a little less than a month to totally heal...well thats when i started lifting weights again and it felt fine..............but i'm also 20 years old so that might have something to do with it

canukracer
09-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Did not mean to scare anyone.
I wish i could have been back on quad in one month -- you lucky dog!!!

Quadrider12
09-24-2004, 09:23 PM
i broke mine it healed pretty quick..... the doctor told me the younger you are the faster you heal casue ur bones are still growing....i broke mine wen i was 15 sooo

Quad18star
09-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by canukracer
Anyone have a collar bone that took a long time to heel? Mine is 3 months and still not great? A guy I work with broke his and it took a LONG time for it to heal ... and when it healed , it looked nasty .... :(

marksuttonjr
09-24-2004, 10:37 PM
I don't want to scare you, but if it's broken as bad as mine was you are going to have to learn to live with it.

I broke about a 2" chunk out of mine the 1st weekend in March. It was a month before I could lift my arm without the bone moving around and crunching loud enough for other people to hear it. A lot of people think that it should have been pinned in place, but they do not do that unless it punctures the skin. I was back on a quad the last week of May, but I had to take it extreamly easy because it was still far from being healed all of the way. After about 3 1/2 months it was solid enough that I started to quit babying it. The Dr. says that it will never stop hurting.

canukracer
09-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the replys

Hey marksuttonjr -- you broke yours in march, and it sounds much like my break -- so my question to you would be, are you as fast now on your quad as you were before you broke it???

sickmojave
09-25-2004, 07:41 AM
Mine took a really long time to heal but I'm a little older so it takes me longer. :blah:

marksuttonjr
09-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by canukracer
Thanks for the replys

Hey marksuttonjr -- you broke yours in march, and it sounds much like my break -- so my question to you would be, are you as fast now on your quad as you were before you broke it???

I ride exactly like I did before I broke it, but my shoulder gets extreamly sore a lot faster. My advice to you if you like to ride realy hard is take some pain pills a few hours before getting on your quad so that they are already working when you start riding and then a take few more rite before getting on the quad when you are going to ride hard. Don't take pain pills that are going to mess you up, and cause you to crash. Tylenol or Ibuprophen should work.

09-25-2004, 05:14 PM
When I broke mine 2 years ago I had a 6mm seperation in the bones. The first doctor wanted to do surgery and bolt it back together. I didn't want to be operated on so, I got a second opinion. The second doctor said it would eventually grow back together over time. So I did that. I was in a sling for 12 weeks. It was about 16 weeks before I rode my quad again. I was 36 years old when I broke it maybe my age had something to do with the healing time. Good luck and hope you heal soon.

Ryan
09-25-2004, 05:52 PM
I broke mine a long time ago. It toke about 2 months for it to heal where I was able to use it normally again. Still no heavy lifting for a few months.

marksuttonjr
10-17-2004, 04:44 PM
This will sound kinda stupid, but try it anyway. Sleep on your side. The side where the break was. I did this for the first time since I broke mine a few nights ago and it feals 100% better. It still got sore when I was doing heavy lifting yesterday, but it feals a lot better than it has any time since I broke it.

brian-250
10-17-2004, 04:50 PM
mine feels like its growing back now, its only been a moth but i go to the Doc. tues to get the brace off and another X-ray, im hopin for good results.:D

Nausty
10-17-2004, 04:55 PM
nope, mine took right around a month. I still got a big bump from it and one shouldn't hangs a lil lower but i don't notice it.

Hope it works out w/ ya!