PDA

View Full Version : Valve seal + Clutch Help?

m250r
09-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Would i be able to replace the valve seal on a 400ex or would i have to bring it into a shop? how much do they usually run for? Where can i get one from? The guy also said it needs a new clutch, would i be able to do that by myself as well? How much do they usually run for? Thanks a lot

Rico
09-24-2004, 09:49 AM
If you don't have a service manual don't even think about doing it. Normally need a special tool also to remove the valve springs...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-24-2004, 10:11 AM
I would get a manual if you don't already have one, the clutch will be easy to do, the valve seals can be a pain if you don't have a valve spring compressor I believe sears carries one.

m250r
09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
can i order those parts from C&D? how much do they run?

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-24-2004, 10:23 AM
the valve seals are $5 for 4 of them and clutches range from $80-$130

m250r
09-24-2004, 10:37 AM
i need 4 valve seals correct? What kind of clutch is the one for $80? do you have a service manual as well? how much do they run for? Thanks a lot

09-24-2004, 11:25 AM
get a tusk clutch from rockymountainATV.com....I had one on my old 400ex & it rocked & it was only $40 :eek2:

m250r
09-24-2004, 01:10 PM
was the tusk one easy to put on?

mojoe2878
09-24-2004, 01:57 PM
yes you do need 4 valve seals, if you going to go to the trouble of replacing one then you should go ahead and take the extra time and do the other 3. taking the valves out is not that hard if you get a vale compressor ( you need one that looks kinda like a big C-clamp to fit the head) you can find them at most auto parts stores for around $25, second if youve never done this b4 you do need a manual to show you how to use the compressor and properly do the job, manuals are usaully around $25 at a bike shop or off the internet. if you do do it yourself be sure to keep the springs, valves, keepers and spring seats in order and put them back in the same port they came out of, do this by using a maker to number you intake and exhaust ports with a numer 1 and 2 and number a plastic baggie the same and put all the parts in the corresponding baggies as you take them out. its best to go ahead and lap the valves b4 you put them back in the head,you will also need a manual to show you how to do this if you dont know already. after you reassemble the head you should do a solvent test on the valve to make sure thay arent leaking, do this by pouring paint thinner or kereosen in the intake port and watching to see if any leaks out around the valves and then do the same for the exhaust ports.i know this sounds like a lot and complecated and it can be if you have never done it b4. if you dont feel comfortable doing any of this than it would be best to take it to a machine shop,it usually only takes me about 1 and half hours to re-valve a 400ex head if there is no grinding involved so it shouldnt be to high to have them do it for you. you really want to be sure this is done right because a dropped valve while you are haulin *** can be a real nightmare. if i can help out anymore let me know, i'll check this thread later. good luck.

09-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by m250r
was the tusk one easy to put on? no..it was fairly easy

Toadz400
09-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
get a tusk clutch from rockymountainATV.com....I had one on my old 400ex & it rocked & it was only $40 :eek2:

How long did you have that clutch on there? I still don't think I'd trust a $40 clutch that was made by Tusk.

And why did you make a new username? Isn't that against the rules...;)

m250r
09-24-2004, 10:57 PM
im hopefully buying a 416ex and thats where i need to replace the valve seals and clutch. im pretty sure im gonna go ahead and get it..ill keep you guys posted so u can help me out but im probably gonna end up doing it myself.