PDA

View Full Version : best place to camp @ Hatfield McCoy

sheaff400ex
09-23-2004, 08:49 PM
A few of my friends and I are planning a trip to hatfield mccoy in early october. We are planning on camping and riding the rockhouse trail system. I did a search and a lot of people say to stay at chief logan state park. I also hear you can stay at twin hollow campgrounds in gilbert. My question is which campground is better. I understand logan is pretty good but you can drive from the campsite directly to the trails on the quad. Thanks for any advise from those of you that have been there.

450r_rider
09-26-2004, 07:53 PM
I can't answer to which one was better since i have yet to stay a t Chief Logan. I am eventually going to try all of the campgrounds that have direct acess to the trail system to see which has the best riding. I'm new to the whole Hatfield and McCoy Trail system but was very impressed with my trip. I'm not sure what was most fun. Blasting up fireroads on the 450r in 3rd or 4th wheelies, or climbing some pretty nasty rock hills. Oh and then driving your quad downtown to hit the ATM and get a burger, that's pretty cool too! What I can say about Twin Hollows is that all of that was right from the campground. I also have to say that the family that runs the campground bent over backwards to do things for us. Keep in mind their kids were out of school at the time so I don't know if they can always provide the same level of service but then again I didn't expect it anyway. Their boys would bring ice and firewood right to the campsite and sit down and chat about the area and what to do. They didn't expect to be tipped but we did anyway since we got better service at this campground than you get at most hotels! I seen alot of the exRiders stay at the Chief Logan sight also so I hoping to hit one of their rides and check it out. And if they hit that site and are pretty happy I don't think you can go wrong staying at either one. If your are planning on the Oct. 8th weekend you probably need to call soon most sites are booked up because of the Hatfield and McCoy Trailfest that weekend. We are planning to be there then let us know if you get a spot! Good luck!

Taco
09-27-2004, 06:24 AM
I would not reccomend staying at Devil's Anse

Rico
09-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Taco
I would not reccomend staying at Devil's Anse

It's ARSE you jackazz.... Devils ARSE...:mad:

Allen
09-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Chief logan is quite a ways from Rockhouse. Not to far from Dingess Run and Waterways....

Rico
09-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Allen
Chief logan is quite a ways from Rockhouse. Not to far from Dingess Run and Waterways....

It's worth the drive though....:devil:

I'd say about 30 minutes from the camp ground..:confused:

sheaff400ex
09-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies. After reading about the exriders group rides and your replies Chief Logan it is.