PDA

View Full Version : PRM grab bar on a 400 EX

ILGNCC400EX
09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Has anyone ever cut down a stock sub-frame and welded tabs on to bolt on a grab bar? And if you did, did you use one from a 250 R?

T.Hopp
09-24-2004, 02:45 PM
I did what you are asking. I bought a 250 R grab bar and cut and welded the subframe to fit. It was actually easy. I bought 6- 5/16" shouldered nuts with 2- 5/16" x 1" bolts and 4-5/16 x 3/4" bolts. I started by cutting the grabbar off 1" away from the tail light tabs. I inserted a 5/16" nut into each open end of the fresh cut subframe. The shoulder of the nut keeps it from falling into the tube. Tack them in place.(I used a mig welder) I then loosely mounted the 250 R grab bar using the 5/16" x 1" bolts. Next , install the 4 remaining nuts between the grab bar and the subframe in the remaining mounting holes while using the 5/16" x 3/4" bolts to hold the nuts in place. You should now be able to adjust the grab bar so that you can tack the 4 nuts to the sub frame. Once you checked for clearance (install rear plastic) and everything looks fine, finish your welds. This gives you six bolts that hold on your replacable grab bar. I hope you get the idea of what I said. I wish I could post a picture but I don't have one. Good luck!

Doibugu2
09-24-2004, 02:51 PM
I thought PRM had some sort of mounting kit that made it so you didn't have to cut off your old grab bar?

I know Ugly has one to, I'm sure he will respond.

mud390
09-24-2004, 02:56 PM
I have a PRM on my 400, but I didn't cut and weld. They are set up to mount using the 4 supplied U bolts. Once everything is good and tightened down, its not going to move at all. Works very well actually.

Kris

ILGNCC400EX
09-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by T.Hopp
I did what you are asking. I bought a 250 R grab bar and cut and welded the subframe to fit. It was actually easy. I bought 6- 5/16" shouldered nuts with 2- 5/16" x 1" bolts and 4-5/16 x 3/4" bolts. I started by cutting the grabbar off 1" away from the tail light tabs. I inserted a 5/16" nut into each open end of the fresh cut subframe. The shoulder of the nut keeps it from falling into the tube. Tack them in place.(I used a mig welder) I then loosely mounted the 250 R grab bar using the 5/16" x 1" bolts. Next , install the 4 remaining nuts between the grab bar and the subframe in the remaining mounting holes while using the 5/16" x 3/4" bolts to hold the nuts in place. You should now be able to adjust the grab bar so that you can tack the 4 nuts to the sub frame. Once you checked for clearance (install rear plastic) and everything looks fine, finish your welds. This gives you six bolts that hold on your replacable grab bar. I hope you get the idea of what I said. I wish I could post a picture but I don't have one. Good luck! thanks thats is what i was wantin to do.i looked at the bolt on one but i think it would bend the subframe in a hard hit to the ***.this way i could just replace the grabbar in a crash.