PDA

View Full Version : Do i have to get my rear shock revalved with the elka rear linkage?

JDiablo
09-23-2004, 02:27 PM
just as it says...do i have to get my rear elka revalved for the use of the elka rear linkage on a 400ex>thanks

cdalejef
09-23-2004, 02:37 PM
No, only a spring change. :)

JDiablo
09-23-2004, 02:43 PM
why is that Jeff?can i do it by myself or what?how hard is it taking the preload spring thing off,etc?

cdalejef
09-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Because with the SSD spring and linkage, the rear end will sit way to low. You can do it but you need to use extreme caution when working with springs. Make sure you run the preload ring all the way to the top before removing the spring retainer.

JDiablo
09-23-2004, 02:47 PM
sorry for the stupid questions but why do i have to be careful?so i don't damage them or something?

cdalejef
09-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Its not a stupid question at all!
Anything under spring tension can cause parts to go flying and body parts to get pinched. All tension must be taken off the spring before parts are removed.

JDiablo
09-23-2004, 02:58 PM
ehh sounds a lil to risky for me,i guess ill see what happens tho,worst comes to worse,ill have to send it out i guess

NacsMXer
09-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Ahh don't be scuurred, just be careful :) . Just put the shock in a vise to hold it steady. Then I like to take a brass punch (something softer than the preload rings) and start loosening the top preload ring (the one that jams up against the bottom one)by placing it into one of those little square grooves in the ring. Once it is loose, you can just unscrew it until it comes all the way to the top of the shock. Then, the bottom preload ring will be free since the top ring is not jamming up against it anymore. Then just take the punch or a spanner wrench if you have one and loosen the bottom preload ring all the way to the top like you did the first one. Once it starts getting near the top, it will no longer contact the spring anymore so now you know that all the spring tension was relieved. Once you have done this, it will be easy to remove the spring retainer (two half circles on the bottom of the spring) by clipping a little piece of wire off on each side of the retainer. This wire holds the two half circles together and once it is clipped, the two halves will separate and the spring will easily slide right down the bottom of the shock. Then, just put the new spring on, and install the retainer halves making sure to wire them together again, and bring both preload rings back down to where they were before. It may sound complicated, but its really very simple. You will possibly get hurt if you just try to remove the bottom retainer without backing off the preload rings first. But if you loosen these rings, there will no longer be tension on them and you shouldnt have a problem removing the spring. If youre really not comfortable, I suggest sending the shock to a professional. But if youre the least bit mechanically inclined, I think you can save some labor fees by just buying the spring and installing it yourself. Hope that helped a bit.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
ehh sounds a lil to risky for me,i guess ill see what happens tho,worst comes to worse,ill have to send it out i guess

if I can do it so can you :D just make sure you back the spring pressure off so you don't pinch any fingers and it always helps when you have an extra set of hands :)

09-23-2004, 04:55 PM
i used to be scared to take the spring soff my shocks too but eventually I balled up and did it & it was actually ridiculous how easy it was. Please dont send the shocks out for this simple task.

JDiablo
09-23-2004, 05:37 PM
ahh i see,ok well ill have to wrok on it then when i send my frame and chit out

William400ex
09-23-2004, 06:04 PM
What's the elka linkage do? is it for mx racing?

JDiablo
09-23-2004, 06:11 PM
anything really,keeps the rear planted on the ground better and gives you about 0.9 more inches of ground clearnace

cdalejef
09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Don't use a punch and hammer on the Elka shock, use the tool that came with the shock. The ring is aluminum and the punch will mess it up.

kwatts400
09-24-2004, 12:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing for my 450r. I've heard alot of good things on the site about the GT thunder and Elka linkage. Will I have to mess with the shock too?

NacsMXer
09-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Don't use a punch and hammer on the Elka shock, use the tool that came with the shock. The ring is aluminum and the punch will mess it up.
Ah my bad I forgot this was an Elka shock I was thinkin it was a 400 rear shock for some reason. But yeah dont use the punch at all cuz it just wont work and will end up chewin up the ring like Jeff said.

MAD450r
09-25-2004, 08:00 PM
can you get this linkage for a stock shock

I only weigh 125lb's or so, and I have my shocks set really stiff to keep it from kicking me around as much, but I really need it to ride without kicking up as much :(

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-26-2004, 04:53 PM
The elka linkage can't be used with the stock shock, have you slowed the rebound down on your stock shock? it would be helpfull for you to respring the stock shock since your a lightweight :p

JDiablo
09-26-2004, 05:04 PM
hey dusty just want you to know that i got the elka quads,those things are sweet,thanks alot....hey BTW did you get my other money orders?

and i see how easy it is,all you have to do is take that red clip thing off at the bottome of the shock,lol