PDA

View Full Version : GT Thunder MX Linkage -- Awesome!

RedRacer44
09-23-2004, 02:14 PM
I recently purchased the GT Thunder MX linkage and I must say, I'm seriously impressed. Installation was a breeze and fit/finish were great!

Laz at GT Thunder was gracious enough to send my local quad shop, JH Racing, the valving specs so I didnt have to send off my rear shock for revalve. I'd like to thank Laz for that!

Now, this linkage works wonders! Brakings bumps, kickers, and coming up a tad bit short on a jump was causing my TRX's, and other TRX owners, rear end to go skyward. This is a thing of the past now. JH racing did excellent work on the revalve according to Laz's specs and the shock works wonders now. It also lowered my ride height a little over an inch. Hell it was TOO low! I had to add some preload to my rear shock to get the ride height back up to normal. Another problem that was plagueing my TRX was the rear end swap, well this has also been eliminated.

Now its not like having an aftermarket rear shock w/ swingarm and linkage but its the next best thing. Also, for the money spent......you cant ask for a better product.

My only complaint was the shock was a little on the soft side but thats just a simple valving adjustment I was told by JH Racing and will not affect the improved ride!

If you race MX on a regular basis and dont want to spend the $$$ on a rear shock, swingarm, and linkage......you need to check out this linkage from GT Thunder. Many other members on this site can attest to what I have said.

GT Thunder
www.gtthunder.com
(330) 674-7122

JH Racing
www.j-hracing.com
(918) 371-0101

kazpr
09-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks red for that awesome report!! I am going to get this done this winter when I am on downtime.

ZRider400
09-23-2004, 06:13 PM
i cant wait to get mine. just gotta ask a local suspension shop if they can valve it for me and stuff first.

lol today i was comming up to a double and the rear end started swappin....i was thinkin "i gotta get that god damn linkage"
:o

Stealth450r
09-23-2004, 06:20 PM
will this make a differents with my setup. i have a +1.25 JRD swingarm and a custom axis rear shock. any thought ill be apreciated

RedRacer44
09-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Stealth...

Did ya check the GT Thunder website? I'm pretty sure that Laz says you can use an Axis rear shock with the linkage. Just look on the website under TRX450R and i think its toward the bottom of the page.

Chance

WhiteZee
09-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Stealth450r
will this make a differents with my setup. i have a +1.25 JRD swingarm and a custom axis rear shock. any thought ill be apreciated
the best thing to do would be to call Laz, if he doesnt already have linkage made up, and can make one for ya, i know borich has a gt thunder link on this laegers swingarm with axis shock.

RedRacer44
09-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Here are some pics of the linkage...installed!

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/honda-trx450-04-bikepics-218815.jpg

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/honda-trx450-04-bikepics-218816.jpg

brif
09-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Can we get a pic of the entire bike?

WhiteZee
09-27-2004, 08:12 PM
click on the link in my sig, i have the gt thunder setup. the rear sits a lot lower when you sit on the bike.....

RedRacer44
09-27-2004, 10:01 PM
here's a pic of my quad with the GT Thunder MX linkage installed....

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/honda-trx450-04-bikepics-218819.jpg

It probably doesnt look like much of a change but when I sit on the quad, it sits LOW. I weigh 185lbs so its not like i'm a big guy and weight the bike down. My ride height is right at 7 inches. When I first installed the linkage....it went from almost 8 inches to 6 1/4 inches. I had to add some preload to the rear to get the ride height back up some....didnt want to be slapping my frame on stuff. Each time I ride the quad, it amazes me with the new linkage....

spincr4hire
09-28-2004, 10:42 AM
what skid plate will work with the GT Thunder linkage if any?

ZRider400
09-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
what skid plate will work with the GT Thunder linkage if any?

cut the one u have......

RedRacer44
09-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Yes, you will have to modify your existing skid plate in order for the linkage to fit or just take your skid plate off if its not a big deal.

400exBro
09-28-2004, 03:09 PM
would you happen to know how it works compared to the elka linkage??? better, same, worse??

and if i were to buy an elka shock, can i tell elka that i am going to run the GT thunder mx link and they will valve it accordingly?? they probably won t becuase they want to sell their linkage...

RedRacer44
09-28-2004, 05:43 PM
If you're going to drop the $$$ and buy an Elka rear shock....go ahead and get the linkage. We compared the 2 linkages and the Elka link puts the shock further back and lower which makes it require the longer shock.

I've heard mixed opinions on the elka linkage....which it is surely better than stock! I dont think you will go wrong with the Elka linkage if you are going to go ahead and get a Elka rear shock too.

400exBro
09-28-2004, 07:29 PM
ya that is the thing i want to stay on a lower budugt this winter... going with the JB LT a arms and elka lt shocks up front...
if the GT link works as good as the elka i might go with the GT but i am worried that the stock rear shock won t keep up with the elka fronts???
I will get a local shop revalve the shock and then get a dual rate spring set up, possibly just spring from elka...???

so many decissions!!! Help...

RedRacer44
09-28-2004, 09:16 PM
I have Elkas on the front, which they arent long travel but still.....my rear end has no trouble working with my PRP/Elka front end. Also, Elka doesnt make a conversion for the 450R rear shock....already looked into that.

If ya want to save $$$, call Laz at GT Thunder, order the Linkage, and tell him you are going to have a local shop do the revalve. Have him call the shop and he will go over the shock set-up and fax them the specs for your shock. Thats what he did for me....you will be happy with it.

400exBro
09-29-2004, 05:28 AM
okay thanks...

i will see, i am going to talk to Laz and then talk to elka... What i may do in the end is just buy the elka rear shock with the long travel linkage... That way i won t have a problem with the rear not keeping up to the front, but things may change in between we will see...

sharkinthepool
09-29-2004, 05:47 AM
A lot of people fear what Laz comes up with to improve the ride of the quad. I can not figure it out. If you were to talk to quad shops here in Ohio they say what he does can't work correctly and that his valvings are all off!

All I can say is that he makes Quality parts and Excellent exhaust (No, The best exhaust) for anyone who is still riding the 400ex. His prices are a little more (a little) Not much and when you buy his stuff you are buying QUALITY not quanity. It sometimes takes a little longer maybe a week if that but it is worth the wait!

hondarider421
07-25-2011, 12:39 PM
man look if u are gonna be able to spring the money get on ebay get a fox rear and the gt linkage or a stadium rear if u can find one

250xridamatt
07-25-2011, 10:20 PM
This thread is 7 years old.