PDA

View Full Version : Crow callin

400exrules
09-22-2004, 02:38 PM
I hunt just about anythin that flies, with some of my friends (black birds, kildee, field larks, dove, crows, buzzards, etc.), and i decided to get a crow call the other day cuz we see alot of crows but they wont come in. And im new to using any kind of call whether it be crow, duck etc. the back of the package for the crow call said breathe through your diaphram......and that throws me off. I dont know how to do this right so i get the correct sound. It sounds fine when u just blow through it normal but i dont think it works that well on the crows

anyone other hunters have any tips?

FourFiftyFour
09-22-2004, 05:36 PM
i used to have the saying if it flies it dies.....and i was a damn good crow caller....... I would give the call a blow that was short but pretty strong, sorta like if you were running and short of breath...but make sure you vary your calls, rally calls are a bit more close together and shorter, and longer caws are not as exciting to them....but dont fall into a pattern or they will learn...... when you get good enough to call them, you will usually see one crow come in...hes the ranger, if you shoot him then usually the others will come looking for him

Pappy
09-22-2004, 06:38 PM
get a few crow decoys and an owl decoy. works like a champ. we use this set up during dove season to break up the boredom when the doves dont fly and we dump many a crow!

400exrules
09-22-2004, 06:51 PM
yeah, i read on www.crowbusters.com that owl statues work like magic, a crow just cant resist seein one.

i understand about the length of the calls and to change it up and stuff, i just want to make sure im blowin in the call right, it says us your diaphram but i dunno if i am when i blow in it or not...?:confused: i dont want it to sound like a messed up crow and scare em off

FourFiftyFour
09-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
yeah, i read on www.crowbusters.com that owl statues work like magic, a crow just cant resist seein one.

i understand about the length of the calls and to change it up and stuff, i just want to make sure im blowin in the call right, it says us your diaphram but i dunno if i am when i blow in it or not...?:confused: i dont want it to sound like a messed up crow and scare em off

ok blow on it hard enough to try to get yourself short of breath, but do it quick

p@iNn3ck
09-22-2004, 08:18 PM
call 1 (http://downloads.western-rivers.com/sound.php?page=2)

call real (http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/sounds/crow1.wav)

Quad18star
09-22-2004, 08:29 PM
What is the point of hunting crows????? Please tell me you don't eat them .

stevo3176
09-22-2004, 08:44 PM
I have to agree. What is the point? Killing for a reason like for food has a purpose, but for fun, that is for losers.....

DEAL
09-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by stevo3176
I have to agree. What is the point? Killing for a reason like for food has a purpose, but for fun, that is for losers.....

Are you ever having a nice sleep.. and crows wake you up?
Atleast thats why I'd hunt them.

stevo3176
09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
That is justification?? My wife has woken me up so have little kids playing around the neighborhood can I kill them?

ghak99
09-22-2004, 10:26 PM

ROTFLMAO.....Lets think about what you just did.....You just pissed off a bunch of people ,"losers", with big guns and a good aim! Just how good is your life insurance?

DEAL
09-22-2004, 10:36 PM
That is justification?? My wife has woken me up so have little kids playing around the neighborhood can I kill them?

Children and your wife do alot more than pick through your garbage and dance around the yard, so its only fair they can wake you up.

ghak99
09-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
i used to have the saying if it flies it dies.....and i was a damn good crow caller....... I would give the call a blow that was short but pretty strong, sorta like if you were running and short of breath...but make sure you vary your calls, rally calls are a bit more close together and shorter, and longer caws are not as exciting to them....but dont fall into a pattern or they will learn...... when you get good enough to call them, you will usually see one crow come in...hes the ranger, if you shoot him then usually the others will come looking for him

Sounds like someone knows what they are doing!

We use an electronic call, it may or may not be legal in your area. Plus all you have to do is buy a different tape to hunt any animal you want. Anyways, definatly make sure you kill that first crow, we call them the "scout". Crows are very smart and get more educated and harder to kill with every calling.

For example the first few times a bunch gets called at all we had to do was put the speaker on the cab of the truck and blast away. Now we use full camo, decoys, and have to sit as still as turkey or deer hunting. We like to use our large corn fields with a single trees in them. The scout will land right above you in the tree, and the hole group will be a few min. behind him unless you miss and he warns them. We use crow hunting to keep in practice for duck and goose season. Plus it is a challenge, and isn't that what real hunters love. Man that was a lot of rambling!

FourFiftyFour
09-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ghak99
Sounds like someone knows what they are doing!

We use an electronic call, it may or may not be legal in your area. Plus all you have to do is buy a different tape to hunt any animal you want. Anyways, definatly make sure you kill that first crow, we call them the "scout". Crows are very smart and get more educated and harder to kill with every calling.

For example the first few times a bunch gets called at all we had to do was put the speaker on the cab of the truck and blast away. Now we use full camo, decoys, and have to sit as still as turkey or deer hunting. We like to use our large corn fields with a single trees in them. The scout will land right above you in the tree, and the hole group will be a few min. behind him unless you miss and he warns them. We use crow hunting to keep in practice for duck and goose season. Plus it is a challenge, and isn't that what real hunters love. Man that was a lot of rambling!

yeah ive heard them being called scouts too, ive heard it ranger and scout.....i dunno why two different names :confused: its something to do when i didnt have anywhere to go before i owned my truck and i live out in the country where i can shoot shotguns in my front yard so why not? lol

allmixedup047
09-23-2004, 02:37 AM
it says us your diaphram but i dunno if i am when i blow in it or not...?
that means you kinda grunt into the call. like dont blow into it, talk into it. you have to get vibration down the call. i am an avid duck hunter and consider myself a good duck caller, i finished 5 in the missouri duck calling championship a couple years ago. there is no hunting like duck hunting, when your working on a flock of about 75 mallards and your working the whole flock with one call and you have to keep everyone of them interested in the call and decoys.

I-7
09-23-2004, 05:06 AM
I hunt just about anythin that flies, with some of my friends (black birds, kildee, field larks, dove, crows, buzzards, etc.), and i decided to get a crow call the other day cuz we see alot of crows but they wont come in. And im new to using any kind of call whether it be crow, duck etc. the back of the package for the crow call said breathe through your diaphram......and that throws me off. I dont know how to do this right so i get the correct sound. It sounds fine when u just blow through it normal but i dont think it works that well on the crows

anyone other hunters have any tips?

Breathing through you diaphram just means that you take a deap breath from your stomach/lungs instead of your throat so you can support your air better.

allmixedup047
09-23-2004, 09:46 AM
when you blow into it dont let your cheeks puff out. harness your air and control it.

Pappy
09-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
What is the point of hunting crows????? Please tell me you don't eat them .

crows in urban areas are responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars lost due to damage they have caused. if a flock gets large and they roost near homes they tend to cover the area with more chit then you can imagine!

in areas where they brood near artificial light they will make a ton of noise all night long. thier noise levels are equal to a rock concert! state and counties have spent way too many dollars employing tactics to harass the birds into moving away.

and for the last several years, crows have been spreading the west nile virus up and down the east coast. its recommended that the birds are killed and burned when feasible.

Pappy
09-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by ghak99
ROTFLMAO.....Lets think about what you just did.....You just pissed off a bunch of people ,"losers", with big guns and a good aim! Just how good is your life insurance?

gun owners and hunters dont think that way...if we did there would only be gun owners and hunters left:p

bansheeguy77
09-23-2004, 11:44 AM
didnt you guys ever see the movie the crow? i agree they do get annoying when you are hunting but yet i like them they remind me of fall and peace cause thats usually the only time i hear them is when its quiet. altho now i might shoot one tonight to see if cdalechick's theory on the ranger is right :p

400exrules
09-23-2004, 03:11 PM

ummm many ppl eat crows, and they are considered an extreme pest. They exstensively(sp??) destroy crops: pull up sprouting grain in spring, gather by the thousands to feed on cultivated nuts and fruits, they raid watermelon fields, and of course, they destroy corn. Total crop loss can occur from crows, which means if your a farmer....you might have to find another way to feed your children.
They severally impact the waterfowl populations. When hens begin laying eggs, crows break open and eat the eggs, they return later and devour the fledglings. "In the 40's a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian "Duck Factory". It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks.
Crows also take a heavy toll on upland game birds, including direct responsibility for at least 4 1/2 percent nest depredation on ruffed grouse and in California crows have been implicated in the endangerment of the Mojave desert tortoise. They also prey on small mammals such as rabbits and squirrels and have been known to kill prey as large as newborn lambs."

besides all that, they carry west nile virus, poop all over cities, tear open trash bags, wake u up in the middle of the night.

Crows are the smartest birds in North America, that makes for a tough, fun, and rewarding hunting experience. It is popular for introducing young kids to the sport of hunting. And in most places, Crow season is open all year round, no bag limit....theses things are pests...

some of those facts were taken from here www.crowbusters.com

sry about all the ranting, just explaining

FourFiftyFour
09-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
didnt you guys ever see the movie the crow? i agree they do get annoying when you are hunting but yet i like them they remind me of fall and peace cause thats usually the only time i hear them is when its quiet. altho now i might shoot one tonight to see if cdalechick's theory on the ranger is right :p

lol u gotta call him in...cant be just a random crow or he might not be the ranger (or scout)

ghak99
09-23-2004, 03:51 PM
They severally impact the waterfowl populations. When hens begin laying eggs, crows break open and eat the eggs, they return later and devour the fledglings. "In the 40's a biological survey was conducted that really shows the damage crows can cause to the waterfowl in the Canadian "Duck Factory". It was shown that crows in close proximity to duck nesting areas took an average of 110 to 120 eggs or fledglings per crow per year, approximately 20,000,000 ducks.

This fact alone just gave me reason enough to go twice as often and kill even more crows! I had never realized that they affected the waterfowl population in such a way.:eek2:

Quad18star
09-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Some of you guys should come up here and help decline the comerant (?) population . These things eat anything and are actually killing many lakes . They eat anything from fish, fish eggs , to bird and bird eggs . They are a real problem on Lake Huron and Lake Erie and Lake Ontario .

allmixedup047
09-23-2004, 10:06 PM
they are really protected.

bansheeguy77
09-23-2004, 10:50 PM
lol u gotta call him in...cant be just a random crow or he might not be the ranger (or scout)

now ya tell me. i was out in a field tonight goin rambo style on some doves and the crows were down in the swamp only like 50 feet from me i even seen a few for a second but wouldnt come up :( i started talkin **** to them but still no luck....so your saying with a call i will get the scout then blast more. i should make a hunting video "cdalechicks crow hunting strategies"

FourFiftyFour
09-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
now ya tell me. i was out in a field tonight goin rambo style on some doves and the crows were down in the swamp only like 50 feet from me i even seen a few for a second but wouldnt come up :( i started talkin **** to them but still no luck....so your saying with a call i will get the scout then blast more. i should make a hunting video "cdalechicks crow hunting strategies"

hahaha, yeah usually when u start calling them with your caller, the scout/ranger/whatever u want to call it will come to investigate to see what the fuss is about, if you shoot him, that will most likely bring the flock in

Wedge
08-02-2005, 06:28 AM
Here in Australia the crow has been hunted with all the fury and hatred that one can muster. Its main claim to such hatred is what the crows do to feed . They eagerly attack new born lambs and kill them. They then attack the mother ewes and peck out the ewes eyes. The sheep then die an awful slow and painful death from thirst and starvation and infection as the flies take hold. The only good crow is a dead crow. This destruction of crows has unfortunately been stopped by our (useless) government. The crow has been declared a native bird of Australia and now has full protection. Thankfully, all the sheep farmers disregard this and destroy as many crows as possible. I am totally against killing animals for the sake of killing but fully support culling and feral pest / vermin destruction. The most favored feral animals that are hunted here in Australia are rabbits, cats, pigs, dogs, buffalo and foxes. All these animals must be totaly destroyed in this country. There are no closed seasons on any of these vermin. A hunter kills as many as he can, there is no limit on numbers.
Wedge

08-02-2005, 07:44 AM
someone has been looking at some old threads

yellow400ex05
08-02-2005, 09:05 AM

Many people go out to hunt elk, deer, and bear etc, for fun, so your calling them a loser? They hunt the animals for the excitement and adrenaline rush. And when they finally kill a deer after sitting in a tree all day you would realize that the wait was worth it. Many people after killing a deer like to bring it home and hang it up on their living room wall to look at with their friends and look at every now and then and say in their head that their proud of their hunting sucess. To them its like bringing home the wining trophy from a baseball game. And I'm not saying noone goes out to hunt deer and not eat it but, many people just do it for the fun of the hunting.

JLanphear
08-02-2005, 10:46 AM
ok blow on it hard enough to try to get yourself short of breath, but do it quick

oh boy oh boy....do i even need to comment :devil:

MotoX3
08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Wedge
Here in Australia the crow has been hunted with all the fury and hatred that one can muster. Its main claim to such hatred is what the crows do to feed . They eagerly attack new born lambs and kill them. They then attack the mother ewes and peck out the ewes eyes. The sheep then die an awful slow and painful death from thirst and starvation and infection as the flies take hold. The only good crow is a dead crow. This destruction of crows has unfortunately been stopped by our (useless) government. The crow has been declared a native bird of Australia and now has full protection. Thankfully, all the sheep farmers disregard this and destroy as many crows as possible. I am totally against killing animals for the sake of killing but fully support culling and feral pest / vermin destruction. The most favored feral animals that are hunted here in Australia are rabbits, cats, pigs, dogs, buffalo and foxes. All these animals must be totaly destroyed in this country. There are no closed seasons on any of these vermin. A hunter kills as many as he can, there is no limit on numbers.
Wedge please tell me you didnt search the open forum of an atv site for info on birds

400exrules
08-02-2005, 01:03 PM
why did you bring this back...?

FourFiftyFour
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
oh boy oh boy....do i even need to comment :devil:

thats what you were talking about yesterday! oh god! lmao