PDA

View Full Version : need 250x HELP FAST!

chunk690
09-22-2004, 09:52 AM
I just bought a 87 250x and have been riding it for 2 days. Yesterady i rode for about 2-3 hours fine. IT will start on the first or second kick. i let it sit for around 25 min then went to ride it again and it started, and when i took off, the engine was bogging out a ltitle. I looked to see if it had gas and it looked like it had enough gas in it. My question is, do these older bikes have to have alot of gas in the tanks for the egine to get gas? I was driving the bike and it just kept bogging out and then finally staul? Thanks for all the help, im just startig to ride so any help will be appreciated!

wilkin250r
09-22-2004, 10:34 AM
You have a fuel selection switch on the side of the tank. It has three positions, "ON", "OFF" and "RESERVE".

Your gas tank has two different feeds that go to the carburetor through this switch, a high feed and a low feed. When the switch is in the "ON" position, it drains from the higher feed, and will drain MOST of your gas tank. The "RESERVE" is set to feed from the lower part of the tank.

The theory is, you ride around with the switch in the "ON" position. This way, you don't ever completely run out of gas, you still have a bit left in the bottom of the tank. So when your quad dies, you flip the switch to "RESERVE" to get you back.

chunk690
09-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Thank you for your help!!!