PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler

EPDP99
09-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Does anyone know where to get a secondary oil cooler? I know mickey dunlap does. anyone have that, is it worth drilling and tapping holes in my head cover and clutch cover or can i put it inline with stock system. I have a 465 and it runs hot, Already have aftermarket oil tanks and air scoops but still runs hot, MD claims 40-50 degrees cooler with theirs.

stupid driver
09-24-2004, 09:49 AM
i have heard from a few guys on the site that it is a very good setup to get. There is a little installation requred( drilling and tapping the case) but it would probably benifit your bike

44oEX
09-24-2004, 11:32 AM
yeah it work really well but I wound't get the MD one. just make one yourseft and save some money.

Find a used car transmission cooler and some lines and your good to go.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pb3d1e0d9d6199fc1fdebd8aa13100817/f9a66f31.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/pc635030312648fdd7b7b939dea53847a/f8f409be.jpg

do like this one just don't go that deep. you don't want the fitting to stick out.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid113/pbd7cf96ff80c43d2bf421f1bcd44e716/f8f409b9.jpg

KingKash420
10-18-2004, 08:54 AM
44oEX that looks really interesting is there any chance you could show me some more pictures from differt angles i am really interested in that mod...

44oEX
10-18-2004, 09:14 AM
ok well it's pretty simple all you have to do is make the to holes is the side case and valve cover. You also have to plug the oil hole that goea from the base to the cylinder head. That is to get some presher for the oil cooler. you just have to put a set screw in the hole that is in the top of the head on the right side.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pf510ec308b5d39f1712e39d37cc8a3dd/f9a66f90.jpg

just take the two lines and hook them to the oil cooler.

I know the pics is bad but it's the only one I have.
If you look closesly you can see that you can use a stock cooler if you want.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/pe322f8f29f429d3822b0c4a7579528f5/fa7a7385.jpg

if you have any more Q feel free to ask. sorry I don't have any more pics.

KingKash420
10-18-2004, 10:10 AM
i know four stroke tech makes a oil cooler but i cant find a link to it anywhere

44oEX
10-18-2004, 10:17 AM
you have to call they don't have a website. but it's like a 100$
You can make one for alot cheaper.

KingKash420
10-18-2004, 10:36 AM
what specific parts would i need?

i can do project pretty good when i have directions to follow but im not the type of guy who can just fab something up like you did

i wish someone could make an article on this i think it would help a lot of people..

44oEX
10-19-2004, 05:26 AM
ok well here goes.

All you need is a oil cooler ( stock 400, car tranny cooler wtv.)
and a couple fitting. The treads don't really mather as long as the fitting fit on your hoses. Then you have to tap the right side cover of the motor. Drill and tape the hole so that the fitting is inside the case. What I mean is that from the inside you don't want to be able to so the fitting except in the little hole. Don't drill to far you don't want to go tru the side cover. You want the bottom of the fitting to be just above the hole so that oil will be able to go tru. You can take a dremel to clean the hole a little ( port ). The one on the valve cover is easy just make sure you line up with the reservoir where the oil is in the head. Then drill and tap. Then plug the oil hole that feeds the head. Then just hook the second oil cooler someware on the frame and hook the line to the oil cooler. I am no machinest and I did it on my first try no problem.

If your fittings leak put tape that use to seal fitting. I think it's called silicon tape but i am not sure.

If anything isn't clear let me know

khen
10-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Here is an article with some pics of the FST cooler install.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/400ex/coolkit/

You can also do a search on the internet for 'permacool universal atv oil cooler' and see their kit that has the cooler, lines and fittings for under $60.

nakomis0
10-19-2004, 01:48 PM
if someone can tell me how to post a Adobe file on my website I will do that and linke it here. It has pics, a parts list and detailed instructions. I have charter.net and tried doing it but for some reason its not working.

or if anyone else can do it I'll email you the adobe file

khen
10-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
if someone can tell me how to post a Adobe file on my website I will do that and linke it here. It has pics, a parts list and detailed instructions. I have charter.net and tried doing it but for some reason its not working.

or if anyone else can do it I'll email you the adobe file With PDF files you can just put it in your web directory(ftp it) and link to it like you would an HTML page using http. Anyone that wants to download it can just right click on the link and do a "save as" or they can just click the link and view it.

for example(ignore the comment tags <!-- -->):

<!-- <a href="http://www.yourserver.com/file.pdf">the link</a> -->

or if your putting the link here of course you just add the link via the http:// button and put in the URL(http://www.yourserver.com/file.pdf) .

nakomis0
10-19-2004, 06:09 PM
ok think i got it. I had it right the firsttime but the file was corrupted on the website, jsut reloaded it onto the website and shes fixed.

http://webpages.charter.net/tandrus4700/400exCoolerMod.pdf

efilnicafesin
10-20-2004, 05:57 AM
I want to do this on a 250x. Is it basically the same procedure/location as on the 400ex? I don't have a stock oil cooler, but there are oil lines that pump oil to the top of the head already. I have seen arguements regarding using those lines to attach a cooler, but never seen a good yes or no. It would be alot easier to use these ports, but if it is gonna kill my engine, then it isn't really worth it.

Rastus
10-22-2004, 12:02 AM
I put an in-line cooler on my 250X( Between clutch cover and the valve cover), and I highly recommend it. If you've got a few mods, it brings the temperature down.

Cooler running engine = more power.

efilnicafesin
10-22-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Rastus
I put an in-line cooler on my 250X( Between clutch cover and the valve cover), and I highly recommend it. If you've got a few mods, it brings the temperature down.

Cooler running engine = more power.

So, you did the drilling and tapping for the fittings then and killed the existing oil lines? Got a pic of the install?

44oEX
10-22-2004, 06:18 AM
use the stock holes just get another fitting and line to fit on a oil cooler.

KingKash420
10-22-2004, 09:17 AM
what would be the major differences between using the stock holes and tapping a hole on the clutch side and on the motor side

would one of these ways cool better then the other?

if you tap new holes what do you have to do yo cover the old holes?

can you use an aftermarket oil cooler in conjunction with the stock unit or would that be pointless?

thanks for all the help guys i plan to do this project very shortly..

efilnicafesin
10-22-2004, 10:17 AM
I've been doing a bit of reading on the oil coolers, and I have seen strong feelings for and against using the stock ports. Some say that it is ok to use the stock lines and put a cooler in-line. Other things I've found have said putting an oil cooler in line does not put the cooled oil on the top where it needs it like when you tap new holes into the head. My concern with either system so far is the oil pump itself. I have a 250x with no cooler on it at all right now. Can the oil pump produce enough volume and pressure to push through the cooler? Is there a high volume oil pump?

I have also read that when you install the oil cooler, you must fill it with oil before you start the engine. Ok- I can understand this--- but what happens when the engine sits for a week or 2 and the cooler drains back into the crankcase. Now you are left with the same situation as a new install. Is there a check valve on the bottom line to prevent the cooler from draining?

44oEX
10-22-2004, 02:09 PM
you do have a oil pump and don't worry it will ump all the oil you need. don't make any holes in your motor. it's not like a 400ex you have holes already. and you couldn't run both that would not work. so you might as well use the stock hole it will save you alot of trouble.

As for the oil in the cooler problem you could do it for the first time but after that I wouldn't worry about it cause you have oil untop of the head where the cam is anyway. so even if the oil drains from the cooler you cam will still be lubed. And the pump will fill up the cooler in about 1 or 2 seconds anyway.

Rastus
10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Nope, I tapped the new fittings right in the stock places. I haven't had any problems with leakage or anything.., so I'd recommend it.

efilnicafesin
10-23-2004, 05:23 AM
Very cool! Thanks... thats what I wanted to hear :D

Humdinger4u
10-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Questions on doing the Auxiliary cooler??
I read through all of the directions, and I have to thank you for putting them up in the forum!!!!!! The only part that I'm unclear about is in step 3 "installing the oil passage plug". In figure 6 on this page the arrow is pointing to the hole in the bottom of the cam oil reservoir, or so it seams?? (I have not pulled my valve cover off yet to look in this area, and maybe I'm missing something?) There must be a hole to the Left of where the arrow is pointing?

I'm guessing that the arrow is pointing to be the passage that you plug so that you don't get shavings down in the oil passage correct?

When it says "With a No .3 drill bit, drill down into the passage about 3/4 of an inch” Are you drilling in to the metal to the left of the arrow? Drilling into the other passage to the left of the arrow also? And then you plug it correct? So this would lead me to think there is a smaller passage that you opening up and tapping to plug, correct?

I'm sorry for the long-winded PM but I would like to do this mod to my 426ex motor to help cool it.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Michael

nakomis0
10-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Theres no hole to the left.

Just jam some tissue up there and blow it out with a compressor.

If you dont have a compresser you have to fassion some sort of hook on your tissue wad, then push it deep enough in the hole so the drill and tap doesnt hit it.. then when your all done you have to fish your modded up tissue out with a paper clip or something.

Humdinger4u
10-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Humdinger4u
Questions on doing the Auxiliary cooler??
I read through all of the directions, and I have to thank you for putting them up in the forum!!!!!! The only part that I'm unclear about is in step 3 "installing the oil passage plug". In figure 6 on this page the arrow is pointing to the hole in the bottom of the cam oil reservoir, or so it seams?? (I have not pulled my valve cover off yet to look in this area, and maybe I'm missing something?) There must be a hole to the Left of where the arrow is pointing?

I'm guessing that the arrow is pointing to be the passage that you plug so that you don't get shavings down in the oil passage correct?

When it says "With a No .3 drill bit, drill down into the passage about 3/4 of an inch” Are you drilling in to the metal to the left of the arrow? Drilling into the other passage to the left of the arrow also? And then you plug it correct? So this would lead me to think there is a smaller passage that you opening up and tapping to plug, correct?

I'm sorry for the long-winded PM but I would like to do this mod to my 426ex motor to help cool it.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Michael

I guess I'm just going to have to pull my valve cover off and take a look so maybe that part of the directions makes more sense to me.

If any other guys that have done this mod can clear this up for me it would be very help full?

Thanks for the help in advance, Michael

44oEX
10-24-2004, 05:51 PM
yes there is a hole to the left of the cam where the arrow is.
You have to plug the hole so that the oil will go in the cooler and not straight in the head. you plug it and leave it pluged
I would suggest that you take the motor appart to do this so the shavings are clean good. But if you drill the hole and tap then blow air from the bottom to clear it out.

Humdinger4u
11-04-2004, 08:45 AM
bump

44oEX
11-04-2004, 09:18 AM
why did you bump? didn't I answer your question?

Humdinger4u
11-04-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry, you did(44oEX). I just wanted to know I guess if anyone else had any other input on this oil cooler mod, that's all. Picture maybe, other instructions??

Thanks for all of the input though!!!!

Michael

44oEX
11-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Humdinger4u
I'm sorry, you did(44oEX). I just wanted to know I guess if anyone else had any other input on this oil cooler mod, that's all. Picture maybe, other instructions??

Thanks for all of the input though!!!!

Michael

i see.
If you have any specific Q? fell free to ask.

Humdinger4u
12-18-2004, 09:10 PM
44oEX I'll be doing the mod in the near future and I might post questions when I get to doing it and have things apart. I think I'm just missing a few thing and I need to take the motor apart (as is the covers off) and look thinngs over, it might make more sense then too? thanks for your help too. I've been ridding too much......what a bad thing that is!!! NOT!!!

Thanks again, Michael

44oEX
12-18-2004, 09:22 PM
no problem man if you have any Q? feel free to ask I like helping people it makes me feel special lol. But seriously you can post here or you can PM or E-mail ( it's in my sig ) me. an I will try to replie as fas as possible. Take the cover and the head and also the side cover. so that way you can work and clean it up good and you can be sure that nothing got in the motor.

TC426EX
12-20-2004, 07:50 AM
The mickey dunlap system is definitely worth drilling and tapping your rocker and clutch covers. I was a non believer at first, but I finally added it and have watched my oil temps. honestly decrease by over 35-50 degrees. I have an oil temp guage on my dipstick so I have seen the difference for a fact... Great mod and its not as hard as you would think it is... The hardest part is actually finding a way to mount the actual cooler unit. Since I race MX, I didnt just want to zip tie it up to the front frame rails like they suggest, plus my shock rezzies are there. What I ended up doing is had my buddy fab up a mount fo it on his bridgeport and had it actually welded to the front of my frame right behind the steering stem, between the 2 gussets with the holes in them. He did it killer and rubber mounted it and everything so its rigid, yet still can absorb some impact and flex with it. Ill try to get my front plastic off and take some pics so you know what Im talkin about... In any event its a great mod and I reccomend it...

DaleJrFan
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
i see tc426ex has a oil temp guage for the dipstick, what does everyone else use? i am wanting to put a larger oil cooler on my bike but if the results are negligiable, then i wont. but according to tc426ex, the gains are awesome. what does the affect of a larger/better oil tank has on temp?

44oEX
12-20-2004, 02:34 PM
well the gains are from the second oil cooler. just a larger oil cooler won't do much. the more oil you have ( bigger tank or cooler ) the cooler it will run but not much. if you want to really cool it down add a second oil cooler it works wanders

DaleJrFan
12-20-2004, 02:38 PM
ok, i scanned through this thread quickly, but you are saying that you are leaving your stock oil cooler on and adding a second one attached to the frame or replacing the stock cooler with a larger one? either way, whats the best indicator to check the oil temp?

TC426EX
12-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by DaleJrFan
ok, i scanned through this thread quickly, but you are saying that you are leaving your stock oil cooler on and adding a second one attached to the frame or replacing the stock cooler with a larger one? either way, whats the best indicator to check the oil temp?

When you install the FST kit, it still uses the stock cooler too... See, the way the EX is set up stock, the oil is pumped from the bottom of the case, through the oil pump, and up the side of the cylinder, then finally up to the head and cam. By the time the oil reaches the cam it is already at a very high temp. since it just went from the bottom, all the way up the hot cylinder. With the FST kit, it re routes the oil flow. You still leave the stock one connected in the bottom, and that is where the oil initially enters the motor from the oil tank still. The difference is that you plug the hole that feeds the oil up the cylinder, and instead it goes out the line you tapped in the clutch cover and into the new oil cooler. (they give you a piece to JB weld in the hole, but I had mine permanently welded since I dont plan on ever not using this). It is then circulated through the external secondary cooler, and fed directly from that into the head through the line you tapped in the rocker cover. This brings fresh cooled oil into all your major moving parts first like the cam, rockers, etc.

As far as adding a bigger oil tank, sure it will help a LITTLE bit, but only in the short term. While having a larger volume of oil will make it take a little bit longer to reach a high temperature, after riding it for a certain amount of time, the oil will still eventually reach the same temperature as before. C+D racing is the place to call if you want that temperature guage oil dipstick. I am thrilled with it.

I had great gains with the FST Cooler, but I also added a Carbon fiber hood with scoop, and I have PRM air scoops as well forcing air at my motor so it all helps... In addition, I went one size cooler on my spark plug and started running synthetic oil...

DaleJrFan
12-20-2004, 04:41 PM
great explanation!! sounds like that is the best way to keep your oil cool. how much did the parts cost? i am for sure going to check it out when i go with my 426. thanks-steve

TC426EX
12-20-2004, 05:22 PM
The FST kit is like 109 or something and includes everything you need. I dont remember how much the oil dipstick was but it wasnt too much. The air scoops were 40, the hood was 170, and the spark plug and oil were obviously very cheap...