PDA

View Full Version : first time clutch rebuild

fastmofo
09-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Hello, im new to the forums, got a 96 300ex. My clutch is starting to get week in it, Lurches a little bit when you pull the clutch in, and sometimes hard to get in neutral when running. I ordered a clutch kit, and plan on installing it this weekend.

My questions are, this is my first time doing a clutch. i am Experienced on motor rebuilds, and such, basically this is my first 4 stroke and never had to do a clutch. So,
Aproximently how long should i be looking at to rebuild the clutch in hours?

IS there any special tools i will need?

And Any tips or tricks to help make it smoother?

I bought new friction plates, seperators, steel plates, and springs, so the whole kit if that helps at all

thanks

4TraxRider
09-21-2004, 09:50 PM
It's really pretty easy. I haven't done a 300ex, but I've looked at my brothers and it's about the same as my old 400ex's and Z and and many others. Really, an hour should be more than enough. One tip that you must follow, is to make sure the quad is extremely clean, any dirt that falls in while you have the side case off goes directly into you engines internal parts. Also, some plates need to be soaked in oil before installation, but i haven't seen that warning in a while. Just to make sure, your cable is adjusted correctly and everything, and your clutch arm isn't bent right?

fastmofo
09-22-2004, 01:21 PM
ok thanks, Just have to wait tell the clutch comes in the mail, and ill let you know how everything goes

thanks

44oEX
09-22-2004, 01:35 PM
yeah like he said it's pretty easy.

you have to soke the all the plates in oil cause if you don't they won't slip when you start it.

Aceman
09-22-2004, 06:49 PM
There is a big nut holding the clutch pack on. You need to unstake it and zip it off with an impact wrench. If you try and break it loose with a ratchet it just spins the whole motor. I'm sure some guys will tell you just to jam a piece of wood or a penny between some gears to keep it from rolling over but I like using a impact better. When you put the nut back on use the impact again. Just make sure to turn the impact down so it doesn't torque the hell out it.

09-22-2004, 07:20 PM
you will need a torque wrench and u should definately replace the cluth cable at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fastmofo
09-22-2004, 10:30 PM
alright, thanks very much. what needs to be torqued to what? i dont have a manual.. thanks

09-23-2004, 04:36 AM
the bolts that go through the springs need to be torqued i dunno what to but theres a certain ft per lbs

44oEX
09-23-2004, 05:19 AM
The big bolt that you have to use the torque wrench on only hold the clutch basket so you don't have to take it out. you just have to take out the presher plate.

Aceman
09-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
The big bolt that you have to use the torque wrench on only hold the clutch basket so you don't have to take it out. you just have to take out the presher plate.

Oops, my mistake. I've been into the bottom end so many times I've gotten used to taking the nut off the clutch but I forgot you don't have to do it if your just replacing the fibers/plates.

dirtmomma
09-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Just to make sure, your cable is adjusted correctly and everything, and your clutch arm isn't bent right?

Yep make sure your cable is adjusted right ;) we thought mine was going out in July cuz I was racing & it was slipping bad, so my hubby adjusted it but he did it the wrong way so I got home ordered a clutch yadda yadda then come to findout it was jus thte cable out of adjustment :o OH WELL now I have an extra clutch :) I think the 300's are wierd that way I've had a couple people w/ them tell me they had the same problem, it's need to be all the way in!!