PDA

View Full Version : some advice needed..

r450rr
09-21-2004, 08:39 PM
ok heres my setup, my 450r has a 11.5:1 je piston, and hotcams stage 2. with a 190 main jet. and the air box lid cut like the hrc lid..also with a 13 tooth front sproket.. anyways look at my sig to and you will know what i have, ok my question is, with all the mods i have should i get the hrc needle for the carb? and the other question is should i go with a 50 or 52 slow jet.. i live at aboout 700 ft to about 1900 ft. above sea level.. so with my mods is there anything else i could do to the carb to make it quicker... thanks guys and also how many turns should my air fuel mix be turned out.. and info will be good info :D

RedRacer44
09-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey man...

I have the same motor mods....ya asked me about them too. Anyways, I have my air/fuel 2.5 turns out and seems to work fine. I didnt change my pilot jet or anything. My needle is still stock too. I had the quad dynoed and the guy said I might try going 1 up on the needle (1 clip leaner) and go back up to a 190 main. I'm running a 185 main with stock needle/pilot, and the mods pushed out 43.25 HP. He said if I do the jetting changes....should get up to 45 HP.

I got a question for you.....how does that 13t front sprocket work with the motor mods???? I am thinking about doing the same thing.....get some bottom end back.

450 Racer R
09-21-2004, 09:00 PM
my 450 pulls plenty hard in the bottom end. I'm confused as to why everyone on here says the hotcams stage II does away with your bottom end...:confused:

WhiteZee
09-21-2004, 11:40 PM
they dont say it does away with bottom end. from what i understand, the bottom end stays about the same as stock, with the large increase in mid-top end.

r450rr
09-22-2004, 01:07 PM
depending on where i go is what i use the 13 tooth for say if i am ride through the woods an i know i am going to , i leave the 13tooth on there, but say i dont have a lot of time i slap on the 14tooth and ride the strip jobs wide open.. but the 13 tooth is definatly a good choice to have, one for woods and another for drag races i might loose on top but there isnt a lot of things that can beat me through the gears.. (around here).. the 13 tooth pulls so hard actually when i drag it i have a hard time in getting it to go into 4th and 5th gear.. mainly 5th.. it pisses me off really but i dunno it hauls *** though.. thanks for the adive on the jettin,, ill play around with it i might get the hrc needle and see if it does anything ..but anyone else have any advice on some jetting trial and error.. or just on whats the problem with 4 and 5th .. i cant figure it out,, i know i dont have to much power for the tranny.. but i mean it works fine 1 through 3rd and hauls.. and most of the time 4th, but when i got it pinned and pull the clutch in to shift to 5th, it wont i mean it wont sometimes..

oh yea. your using the 185 right now what made u go back down to a 185,, why didnt u stay with the 190..??

RedRacer44
09-22-2004, 02:59 PM
After I did the motor mods, the bottom end was very lame, dont ask me why? I threw in the 185 main and it ran a lot better! I checked my plug and its a nice tan/cocoa color which was nice to see. I was kinda worried it might be too lean. I am getting a FCR carb this winter so I'm done with messing with the jetting, its close enough and runs well enough!

So with the 13t, it pulls hard off the bottom end 1st - 3rd gear? Does it rev out really fast and constantly having to shift? My problem is if the start is really short, most of the other 450s are right there with me into the 1st corner but if its a long start where I can get into 3rd and 4th gear to really rev it out.....I'll pull ahead of them easily. Looking for that little extra thump on the bottom end, hopefully get it with the 13t front sprocket.

r450rr
09-22-2004, 09:26 PM
thats what i would do, it gives you a noticable difference and yes u constantly have to shift, but i think it was a good choice for me