PDA

View Full Version : rear end real problem

blasterkid
09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
i heard from guys at the track the the rrear end on the 450 sucks due to the realy short shock i wana know if this is true and also what u gouys do to fix it? thanks

RedRacer44
09-21-2004, 07:42 PM
I just got the GT Thunder MX linkage and had JH Racing revalve my rear shock.......worked wonders for the rear end. Also very cheap compared to buying an aftermarket shock or swingarm. It really cured the rear end bucking/swapping problem and braking bumps aren't a nightmare anymore!

WhiteZee
09-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
I just got the GT Thunder MX linkage and had JH Racing revalve my rear shock.......worked wonders for the rear end. Also very cheap compared to buying an aftermarket shock or swingarm. It really cured the rear end bucking/swapping problem and braking bumps aren't a nightmare anymore!
amen, that is 100% correct. i love my gt thunder rear linkage.

CdaleXtreme
09-22-2004, 07:39 AM
I currently think there are 5 different companies that offer a rear suspension fix for our 450Rs.

Walsh Race Craft
Holz Racing

These two completely redesign the linkage system, uses a two inch longer shock. They base it off of the dirt bike- YZF style linkage. But in the process you have to replace the swingarm as well. Expect to pay from $1,300 - $1,500 for this setup. (not including shock) I personally run the walsh setup and its beautiful.

GT thunder
Elka
Houser

These three companies adjust the leverage ratios given the stock linkage parameters they are given to work with, from honda. Uses about a half inch longer shock. Makes a big difference, But the shock still is rather short. Way less expensive, unless you are racing full out MX this would be the setup for you. Not sure how much you would expect to pay for this setup, anyone?

86atc250r
09-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Blasterkid -

What you are hearing is partially right, but it's more complex than that.

The two main problems with the 450R suspension is that the shaft travel of the stock rear shock is low - under 4". This leads to a high leverage ratio that makes shock setup more critical.

Another problem is the bottommed out frame height is high. This means that the travel is in the wrong position in the chassis.

These can be difficult and expensive problems to resolve.

Don't buy into the fact that you have to have a "dirtbike" linkage to have a great performing rear end. Rear end performance is affected much more by overall setup than by the linkage's design itself.

The Walsh and Holz setups should work well because they use a 17" rear shock that should have 5 to 5.5" of shaft travel, which lowers the leverage ratio to an acceptable level. If properly designed, they should also lower the bottommed out frame height since they redesigned the swingarm & everything anyways.

John Houser
09-23-2004, 05:47 AM
The HOUSER long travel linkage use a 17" shock & gives you 11.5" of wheel travel. This setup works!!!
I am going to get some info on our web site in the next couple of days.

kazpr
09-23-2004, 05:53 AM
If I decide to go long travel it will be Houser for sure. Seems pretty good setup for the money!!

MX#9
09-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Let's say you want to use the stock shock and GT Thunder linkage, is a shock revalve a must? Also,is there any kind of clearance issues in regards to the linkage rubbing the skidplate? Thanks in advance.

09-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by MX#9
Let's say you want to use the stock shock and GT Thunder linkage, is a shock revalve a must? Also,is there any kind of clearance issues in regards to the linkage rubbing the skidplate? Thanks in advance.

ditto!!

09-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by MX#9

ditto!!

lukester720
09-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Yes, if you don't revalve the shock it could actually ride worse than before. You will most likely have to trim your rear skid a little too.

WhiteZee
09-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by lukester720
Yes, if you don't revalve the shock it could actually ride worse than before. You will most likely have to trim your rear skid a little too.
lukester is right, it will ride worse with out the correct valving. you will have the trim the skid plate and use spacers to give a little more clearence between the shock and the skid plate. www.kyirc.com/gallery/whitezee go there and click on my parts gallery, there is a picture of my cut prm skid plate that can give you an idea of what you need to do.

RedRacer44
09-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Like they said, the revalve is a must. I got lucky and have a local quad shop that does shock work so I didnt have to send my shock off. Laz just sent JH Racing the valving specs and JH did it for me. I dont use a skid plate on the rear because I dont ride woods/trails but maybe once a month, if that! I'm on the MX track 99.9% of the time.

The GT Thunder set up works well though, its not like having an aftermarket shock n' stuff by far but it cures the problem pretty well. Only complaint I had was the shock was a little soft but thats just a simple valving adjustment that I'm going to have done, and it wont sacrifice the ride.

09-23-2004, 08:12 PM
how much is the gt linc and do you run out of adjustability with the stock shock?:confused:

09-23-2004, 08:13 PM
how much is the gt linc and do you run out of adjustability with the stock shock?:confused:

WhiteZee
09-23-2004, 10:12 PM
its $250 for the linkage, revalve, and near bearings. with the gt setup, i have tons of room for adjustment, i only have the compression 1 turn from full soft, and the rebound 1 turn toward S.

Ex_Rider43
09-29-2004, 09:35 PM
thanks a lot man I just decided which setup ill be running! 250$ and it includes the revalve thats great!