PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler

EPDP99
09-21-2004, 06:34 PM
I know there is a mickey dunlap oil cooler out there for a secondary oil cooler. Any others that people have seen. Who has the MD Oil cooler and how hard was it to install. Does it work best to drill and tap a hole in the head cover and clutch case or can you add it to stock system and get same benefits?? My 465 runs hot stock. I have Oil tank and air scoops already and that made a big difference but the MD oil cooler claims 40-50 degrees. That would be sweet to get it that much cooler. Thanks ahead for the info.

EPDP99
09-21-2004, 08:49 PM
nobody??

nakomis0
09-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Never heard of no MD oil cooler.

I say just build it yourself... you can go with brass fittings , rubber hoses and go to a junkyard and find an old trans cooler.. Cost about $45

Or you can go buy really nice looking Anodized fittings, breaded hoses and a junkyard cooler for about $100.

If you want me to scan and email the instructions.. let me know... You can also do a search on here to find a parts list.

Lookie its purty...:p

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/343000-343999/343319_42_full.jpg

torqen2k1
09-22-2004, 09:15 PM
If you can will you scan the instructions because I would like that setup for my 426 kit. Thanks

EPDP99
09-23-2004, 11:26 AM
I am going to make a custom setup. and use the factory oil system with it. That way i dont have to drill into the head cover and clutch cover. PCP racing offers a kit that uses a bigger oil cooler and gets same results that mounts in factory location. Ill probably use a fluidyne cooler.

nakomis0
09-23-2004, 03:52 PM
torqen PM me with your email address and I'll do it sometime next week Im going out of town for a few days.

honda_runner
09-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Those oil lines are sweet, nice work.

Rootar
09-24-2004, 09:57 AM
so basicly you get the hoses and fittings then get a good trans cooler from a junk yard could you put just a bigger cooler (the finned thing up front) and use the stock system:confused:

Rootar
09-24-2004, 09:58 AM
oh yea is that a custom header

khen
09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Here is the Perma-Cool cooler that works similar to the FST one. It's at the bottom of this page. http://www.alamomotorsports.com/pmc/Cat_page15.html

When I do mine I'll probably buy this kit and possibly buy some of the braided hoses like nakomis0 did.. that looks trick!

EPDP99
09-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Im just going to use the stock system. I really dont want to drill all those holes. Plus the one from 4stroke tech(mickey dunap) says they give you a ball bearing and you have to JB weld it into place. JB welding anything just sounds really ghetto. and for a ball bearing to be floating around in my motor with all those mods is a no go. I have over $2600 in just motor work, and Im sure not gonna let all that go to waiste.

nakomis0
09-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Theres no bearings on the FST cooler... or Jb weld.

And the header is just a white brothers e series

EPDP99
09-24-2004, 02:25 PM
when I was looking for oil coolers i came across the fourstroke tech, mickey dunlap, oil cooler. They also had the installation proccess on the web site. And it had picturs of it on the clutchcover area that showed and told where to JB weld a ball bearing in. How is yours ran?? Just trying to find out how the oil pressure in yours builds to get through the cooler??

nakomis0
09-25-2004, 05:06 PM
OK I just went and got the instructions... it does say JB weld or I high temp sealant. I used sealant cause i didnt remember nuttin about JB weld... its been awhile.

No bearings ... How do I build up oil pressure? Well I got this little high tech thing called an oil pump,, came stock on the quad.... lol.. just screwin with ya.

But you have lots of pressure to spare. The lines that run through my j yard oil cooler are actually pretty big, like 1/2 and it still squirts the oil a few inches. I tested it during install.

maybe its hard to expleain.. if you want i'll email ya these instruction... i'll probably get time early this week, i got dialup and a whining gurlfriend that wants attention... so its hard to get a free 15 minutes:rolleyes:

Carp 1329
09-26-2004, 06:12 PM
i installed mickeys cooler on mine .the oil doesnt break down as fast as it did without the cooler.the hardest part was drilling and tapping the hole in the clutch cover. you have to be careful to drill into the oil passage. the instructions were pretty straight forward.i give it a thumbs up.

EPDP99
09-27-2004, 11:19 AM
well I just got my scoops in and waiting on the fluidyne cooler but im trying to figure out how to attach them to the stock metal hoses besides hose clamps. Think if i got a tube flaring tool and put some nice fittings on it would work.

F-16Guy
09-27-2004, 05:40 PM
I agree that the JB Weld thing is pretty cheesey. What a lot of people do is buy a set screw slightly larger that the oil passage, and a matching drill bit/tap. Then drill/tap the passage deep enough so the set screw will sit just below flush and install it with some medium threadlock. The temperature difference is very noticeable. The difference between Dunlap's kit and the regular PermaCool kit (P/N 1008) is that the Dunlap cooler has fins (turbulators) running through the inside of the tubing, which creates more surface area for the oil to contact, thus cooling the oil better. When you tap the new hole for the clutch cover fitting, the best thing to do is this: Drill the hole to the appropriate size in the correct location, and then begin tapping the hole very carefully with lots of cutting oil (or any good light lubricant) to prevent gaulling. When the end of the tap hits the bottom of the passage (you'll know what I mean when you do it), back it out and grind it down a little. Keep doing this until you can screw in the brass fitting to a good depth (probably 4-5 threads) and have it get snug just as it faces forward. Doing it this way will prevent you from having to drill through the bottom of the passage to allow clearance for the tap. If you buy a single tap/drill bit, it shouldn't cost too much. Start with the valve cover fitting since tap clearance isn't an issue, that way you'll only have to buy one tap.

balls2da-wall
09-27-2004, 06:18 PM
nakomis0 can you send me the instrustions to that oil cooler...my email is misdirection_05@hotmail.com

and where can you buy the Dunlop cooler at?

EPDP99
09-27-2004, 08:13 PM
how do you feel about what I am doing? With just a bigger cooler scoops and a large capacity oil tank. They say it will cool the same because I really do not want to drill into all those covers. keep me updated with your info

nakomis0
09-27-2004, 08:56 PM
EPD having more oil will keep it cooler and it won't break down as fast. The benefit of tapping the cover and such is so it throws oil on top of the cam and valve area.. which I imagine cools that area alot better than stock.. Normally the oil just gets thrown up there only by the cam chain..

but just doing the basics like you wanna do will help/

F-16Guy
09-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
EPD having more oil will keep it cooler and it won't break down as fast. The benefit of tapping the cover and such is so it throws oil on top of the cam and valve area.. which I imagine cools that area alot better than stock.. Normally the oil just gets thrown up there only by the cam chain..

but just doing the basics like you wanna do will help/
Actually, it gets forced throught the cam whether it's the stock set-up or the FST style. The difference is that the oil on the stock set-up (which you would still have in addition to the secondary cooler) goes throught the cooler, the filter housing, and then up the oil passage that is cast into the side of the hot cylinder before being forced into the cam and out the cam journals. With the FST type cooler, the passage in the side of the cylinder is blocked with a plug and bypassed. The oil is taken just after the filter housing, routed through an additional cooler, and then through the cam. That extra cool oil being fed to the valvetrain makes a big difference on the Honda Radial Valve head design. It's well worth the effort, or the little extra cash if you have a shop do it.

L.Vegas400
09-28-2004, 08:23 PM
with a perma cool cooler the oil that comes out of the cooler and on to the cam is cool enough. having any more cooling than that is going way over board. the line coming out of the cooler is cool enough to touch and hold on to. it cost me around $130 in parts from jegs to do the exact thing in the picture above. its best to do this while your engine is apart for one reason or another. do a search and you will find enough pictures to understand how exactly how to do it. that is how i figured out how to do mine. good luck