PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Rear Brakes

LANNK66
09-21-2004, 12:53 PM
i removed the e brake on my 400 and am blowing trough brake pads at an astounding rate. i only get two or three day riding out of my rears, which i rarely use, and have gotten an entire season out of my fronts. i think they are probably hanging up but cant figure out why. any ideas?

cdalejef
09-21-2004, 01:43 PM
What brand of pads are you using? If you pick up the rear and spin the tires to they spin freely?

Rico
09-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Pull your rear brake pedal off and grease it real good... That is a big cause of brake pad wear...:cool:

LANNK66
09-21-2004, 02:28 PM
I USE EBC PADS, THE ONES FOR WET WEATHER/DIRTY CONDITIONS. I WILL TRY TO GREASE THE PEDAL, DIDNT THINK OF THAT.

IS IT OK TO PACK THE HOLE WHERE THE E BRAKE USED TO BE WITH GREASE?

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE GUYS

Rico
09-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by LANNK66

IS IT OK TO PACK THE HOLE WHERE THE E BRAKE USED TO BE WITH GREASE?

NO

Buy a e-block off plate for $10

If the rear brakes are maint. properly any pad will last a long time if you ask me.

I use White bros pads and they last just as long as any heavy duty, special dirt, rock eater pads that I've bought..

cdalejef
09-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Ok, there is one of your problems. Those EBC pads do work good in muddy conditions but at the expense of wearing very fast. Try a set of White Brothers (Dunlopad) standard pads. I have found them to last longer than any other pad including stock.
Another little trick that works is to debur the little cooling holes on the rotor, they tend to get sharp and shave at the pads as you ride.
There is no need to pack the blockoff plate with grease, I don't know if it can cause problems but its not a normal thing todo.

Like Rico said, if you don't have a blockoff plate, get one now before you blow a seal.

markk
09-28-2004, 09:58 PM
I had that problem, and when i greases my peddel that helped alot, and Like jeff said, Smooth the cooling holes that are in your stock Disk, Or spend the extra cash and buy a solid rotor!!!

(if you use all your pads and u go to bare metel, that will grove the disk, with will cause your new breaks to wear quickly also)

Im gona try to run a 250r setup, or the cfr450 brake conversion this winter!!!