PDA

View Full Version : lowering or widening my dvx?

oldyeller
09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
I race in a tt mild MX series.I ride a totally stock DVX and find it is very tippy for this type of racing with very hard cornering.I would just put a lowering kit on it but we do have a few jumps(nothing huge) and I'm a little scared of breaking something with the kits.One guy runs a durablue link on the rear and it has held up well but what do I do with the front?Widening it would also be nice but whats the best way to do it.I can't afford megabux on A arms and shocks.Any help would be greatly appreciated

4TraxRider
09-21-2004, 09:30 PM
For the front, you can flip your rims.(free- 5$)
Set your rear pre-load all the way soft.(free)
I don't have any TT experience, but from a few flat-track event's ive been through and one I participated in, you can run 300ex shocks on stock a arms on a Z,KFX,DVX, but you can't hit anything too big or you land hard if theres not a nice downramp. You can usually pick up a set pretty cheap off of ebay, and as a bonus the shorter shocks also make your fron't end wider. For the rear a set of wheel spacers would be your best bet.

nemesis
09-22-2004, 04:45 PM
You can flip your rims around in the front and have it redrilled if you know someone that will do it or buy my wheel spacers for $35 shipped.
The rear are $60 from rockymountainatv.com
$100 and you will be 3" wider in the front and 5" in the rear.

give me your email and I will send you some before and after pics of my KFX.

I MX and jump all the time with no problems.

oldyeller
09-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Shouldn't you keep the front wider than the rear?:confused:

nemesis
09-22-2004, 10:45 PM
I know my quad handles a lot better with the front +3" and the rear +5" wider.

dirtmomma
09-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Yes wider is always better :) As for lowering kits ect. here's what we did, if you kow a GOOD welder/fabricator you can have them weld some extra mounts on your arms for your shocks, thts what we did w/the 300(he extended the stock arms) as for the rear he made me a lowering bracket too!! So now I run a 2.5"(i think) rear spacers, & on the front I lower it down to the outside mount w/ an offset rim & wholy moly she's about 50-51? depending on what tires I run :eek: If it's a TRUE TT track you should be ok cuz you dont' want to be trying to get HUGE air, I ran on a NOT true TT LOL, and man I hit the 1st table top & BAM bottomed the air box right onto the caliper :o Anyway have fun TT is a blast!! Here's a pic, I think you can see the 2 different mounts on the arms this is w/ it raised up, you can see it'll go out about 2" then sit flat!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid136/pd55dea14808a72b0740a380a2021e935/f75c0053.jpg

oldyeller
09-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Dirtmomma can you show a close up pic of those a-arms?Very cool looking ride.A buddy of mine uses the durablue lowering kit in the rear and that works well, and I can use spacers on the rear to widen it, so its mainly the front that I'm concerned with.I am also getting some 18 inch tires for the rear but haven't decided on a front tire size yet,18 or 19?We do have some jumps,nothing huge but I would definetly need more than 2 inches of suspension.I'm also pretty heavy at 200lbs so that doesn't help any.

Flynbryan19
09-23-2004, 11:44 AM
As you've said for the rear get a durablue strut, and get a set of wheels spacers. As for the front you can soften the front, but do this in steps. The softer you go the more its gonna try to tuck(come up on two wheels) in the corners. As for widening the front, throw some spacers on there too. If your doing just flat track with just mild jumps you should be fine. Its MUCH less hassle then having to break the bead on your tires and welding up the old air stem hole and drilling new ones. As for tires go with a 19"F/18"R set up. This is the shortest tire setup you can get.

oldyeller
09-23-2004, 09:26 PM
What do you mean by softening the front? I have the shocks on the softest settings if thats what you mean.It still doesn't seem to sag any though when I get on it.:( Would having it on the softest setting cause it to bicycle and not want to turn?Perhaps I've been setting it up wrong.It came from the dealer with the front shocks set up quite firm and I actually hurt my wrist going over the jumps(we had 3 doubles in a row that I was singleing so I really took a pounding),this was not our normal type of track though. The bike rides much nicer with them set softer but maybe its hurting my cornering?

oldyeller
09-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Nemesis did you get my PM?

4TraxRider
09-23-2004, 09:34 PM
When my Z was stock and I was messing with the pre-load settings, I found that mine dove/bicycled into corneres a lot more, but that was on an MX track. For that kind of stuff, you just have to go out and experiment and see what you like best. Is the plusher ride worth the tradeoff on stability? Go pound out some laps and see what you like most.

nemesis
09-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by oldyeller
Nemesis did you get my PM?
replied.

dirtmomma
09-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Ok well here's a pic for ya, they are set raised up here, I just throw them to the outside mounts & I'm ready to go :) this setup works GREAT I've had people say it's no good but for flattrack it's great, now granted I don't go out jumping w/ it lowered!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/pa0f5749705a534d198d4dfa42ca62c47/f80ecf75.jpg

I was gonna show you the ones on our blaster but I'll have to see if I can find a pic!!

dirtmomma
09-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Forgot to add what we did for our 400 once when I raced it, we put all my tires on it thefronts are 19's & the rear's are 18's that helps ALOT w/ your weight/size you might be ok w/ just that? But we also ran a 300 shock on the front but it handled like CRAP they were too sorft for it. Now if you go get like a stiffer street bike short shock 13" you can run those, do the same for the rear, shorter shock!! I know we have a used bike parts shop so thats where we look for stuff like this!! Good luck!!!

oldyeller
09-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the pics dirtmomma.That setup looks just like the lowering kits you can buy and bolt onto your a-arms.Your very fortunate to have a used parts store at your disposal.:cool: