PDA

View Full Version : oil in air box 400ex

kineo3
04-10-2002, 08:38 AM
What would cause oil to be comming into my air box on my 400ex??

exriderdude
04-10-2002, 08:41 AM
:confused: :huh i dunno, but that is pretty messed up

kineo3
04-10-2002, 08:54 AM
I thought it might be my air filter was to saturated with oil, but I rung it out twice and replaced it. The airbox plug has filled up a couple of times. I looked again and it appears oil is comming in through the carb?? It runs strong with no spitting or choking. I am stumped.

exriderdude
04-10-2002, 09:13 AM
:confused: :huh Me too

RideRed400EX
04-10-2002, 10:06 AM
R U sure it's motor oil?

redrizza
04-10-2002, 10:28 AM
Check your motor oil level. If you put too much oil in, it's very possible your floating the excess oil above the cylindar and out the carb into your airbox. I've done it once on accident. Luckily I didn't blow any gaskets from over compression.

oynot400
04-10-2002, 12:23 PM
There is a crankcase breather that hooks up to the intake boot betweent the air box and carb. That is the only place I can think of that oil would be coming from. If you have high blow-by then you are either over full on oil or your rings are shot. check the oil level and check to see if you are blowing blue smoke. That will tell you where it is coming from.
Hope this helps....

kineo3
04-10-2002, 12:57 PM
I think it may have been possible that it was over full of oil. I am pretty sure it is motor oil and not filter oil. The thing runs strong and no blue smoke or any smoke for that matter. I noticed the crankcase breather is about 1/3 full is this normal? I have checked the oil level a couple of times since I have noticed this and it has gone from the top of the grid to about 1/2 the grid on the stick. This is a new machine to me and the person I bought it from said he had just changed the oil. I really want to get out and ride bt I am a bit nervous at this point.

oynot400
04-10-2002, 02:31 PM
You don't want any oil sitting in the breather, other than a light residue. Take it off and clean it out with some carb cleaner. Be careful that you don't run any down in the motor.
It sounds like it was over full. I would drain some out and check it again. These dry sump engines can fool you on oil level. Start it up and run it for a couple of minutes and check it again. This should give you a more accurate reading.
Good luck... :)

kineo3
04-11-2002, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all the input, I cleaned out the breather last night and will hopefully get a good ride in this weekend.