PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Kit/ Honda

La Mudd
09-21-2004, 08:22 AM
I know this forum is mainly geared toward EX type bikes, however your engine knowledge may can still provide me some insight. My question is below:

I race, but our type is done in the mud...mainly deep, slow progressive movement, seeing who can go the furthest..etc. I usually run a custom Polaris 700 with 23" of Ground clearance under the bike...some in our group are even taller. However with everyone going taller...I have decided to convert my 2001 Honda Rancher into a capeable mud machine by adding and interior rear axle paddle...similar in design to the paddle on an old steamboat...but on a much smaller scale. Anyway, I have the fabrication of that in tact...my concern is keeping this Honda Motor Cool, or at least as cool as I can.

I have a 2001 Honda Rancher and installed is a 368CC Mickey Dunlap/Four stroke Tech Big Bore Kit. I already had to rebuild the engine once...as mud water got in... but these kits (not referring to Mickey's kit...just in general) are notarious for there very short life span. What can I do to increase this.

I have this basic idea. Could I somehow put a radiator on my rack w/ a fan attached...and run oil through in into the oil cooler? Would this somehow screw up the workings of how the oil is fed? Too much or not enough PSI? Our temps here in the deep south are brutal on these engines....added to it the increased heat of the big bore and increase resistance the machine will have moving these axle paddles accross the bottom of the mud.

Anyway, so sorry for the long first post, but I am just looking for some suggestions outside my normal area.

Thanks for any information.

La Mudd
09-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Just some examples of an axle paddle for illustration:

http://www.pearlrivermuddawgs.com/images/Ridepics/lg_41_1441.jpg

http://www.highlifter.com/scott_view.php3?spics_id=793&catid=19&numrows=49&j=5

La Mudd
09-21-2004, 08:57 AM
or what about adding a second oil cooler.?

44oEX
09-21-2004, 09:10 AM
the second oil cooler would help

10-20-2004, 09:55 PM
wow

44oEX
10-21-2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by golfman400ex
wow

What:confused:

mojoe2878
10-21-2004, 07:31 AM
where do ya'll race at?
i'm thinkin if ya got a smaller electric cooling fan out of a import car or somethin that usually has the small fans , and rig it up on there it may help with the temp. a little, it would help ya get a little better air flow across the engine since you probably arent gettin much goin so slow. what kinda gas do you run? if you run regular unleaded then try some 100 octane race gas and might bring the temp down some too, with all the oil companys around the state it should be easy to find.