PDA

View Full Version : what is this noise??

QuadJunkies
09-20-2004, 09:38 PM
When I have my handle bars straight and i turn them left or right about a 1/4 of an inch it clicks. does any one know what would cause this? or what it is? and how it can be fixed thanks? At first, I thought maybe my Damper, but I got to thining, it done this before I had one.... Its like a tick or a click noise around the stem /handlebar area???

Florida400EX
09-20-2004, 09:48 PM
The bolt on the bottom that holds the stem in place, might have come loose, and is clicking against the cotter pin? Or else, load it with WD-40 and see what happens :devil:

QuadJunkies
09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Or else, load it with WD-40 and see what happens :devil: We already tried that trick........ :D Didnt work....

Rico
09-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Tina put the quad on a stand with the front wheels off the ground and turn the bars and see if you still hear it..

I had this happen to me and it was the upper A-arms bushing were wore out and that was causing the noise.
With the wheels on teh ground the force of the tires pushing will make the noise, with it off the ground it won't make the noise..

Make sense Darlin???

AtvMxRider
09-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Rico

Make sense Darlin???

She is blonde you know...................:eek2:

cdalejef
09-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
She is blonde you know...................:eek2: :eek:

Jerry dead meat!!!

AtvMxRider
09-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
:eek:

Jerry dead meat!!!

:devil:

QuadJunkies
09-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
She is blonde you know...................:eek2: :eek:

Yes, but my roots grew out a bit this month so maybe Im a little smarter right now!!!:o

QuadJunkies
09-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Tina put the quad on a stand with the front wheels off the ground and turn the bars and see if you still hear it..

I had this happen to me and it was the upper A-arms bushing were wore out and that was causing the noise.
With the wheels on teh ground the force of the tires pushing will make the noise, with it off the ground it won't make the noise..

Make sense Darlin??? It does.... Ill check it out.... ;)
Troy thought it might be my Damper but I thought it done this before I got it.....

Meeso
09-27-2004, 02:37 AM
Previous posts make a lot of sense.
Just make sure you check the obvious things like a Zip tie getting in the wrong place and clicking and simple stuff like that. Might be a "30 cent" fix instead of a big money problem. I always check for those types of things first before working my way up to the expensive alternatives.

cals400ex
09-27-2004, 11:41 AM
mine does this too. it just never annoyed me enough to figure it out though. i guess i can look at it this weekend. i always thought it was that cotter pin because that is the type of noise it makes. my front end is all stock besides elka shocks, and the noise happened before i put these on. i really don't think it is my a-arm bushings, but who knows. mine appear to be in great condition.

bradley300
09-28-2004, 07:58 AM
do you still have the little "dash board" on your quad? could be that grabbing a cable or somthieng and popping back

240GNCC400
09-30-2004, 10:55 AM
might want to check the steering bearing at the bottom of the stem. i had the ticking. replaced that bearing and the a-arm bearings cause they were shot too. not sure which one fixed the problem, but it went away.
had the steering bearing go out in SC this year. trust me, you dont want that to happen.